1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about MVR capability

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by gsslug, Jun 11, 2010.

1. gsslug

gsslug Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    I have two HD DVRs and I am scheduled to have MVR installed on Wed. Will each DVR still be able to record two shows at a time for a total of four shows being recorded at the same time?

I was reading another thread and a post seemed to suggest that once MRV is installed I will only be able to record a total of two shows at a time. One on each DVR or two on one or the other.

2. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Yes, you can record on all you tuners, even if someone is watching a recording via MRV.

MRV doesn't effect the way your receivers currently operate. If you have two DVRs, then all four tuners may be recording at once.

I have three DVRs and there have been times where I've had all six tuners recording while watching recordings via MRV. :)

Mike

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Yes.

4. rcruz2525

rcruz2525 Cool Member

Jun 4, 2010
    That is great!!
    Make sure they do a good job on the installation.

This may help.

[​IMG]

5. gsslug

gsslug Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    A good installation is certainly the key. If they replace the dish, I have a Slimline, then it will have to be properly aligned and I'm not even sure my current dish is optimized as I show some sats in the low 80s. Inside I suspect they will have no problem getting MRV set up but hooking to the internet will require a wireless connection between my DVR and wireless router. I don't know if they will provide the necessary wireless device without an additional charge. I did tell them at the time I signed up for MRV that I also wanted connection to the internet but I didn't tell them, and they didn't ask, that there is no wired access to my router near the DVR.

We shall see what happens.

6. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    They may run a cable to whereever your router is located and give you a wired connection.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Do you currently have any of your receivers connected to the Internet?

- Merg

8. gsslug

gsslug Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    That would be extremely difficult

No.

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    In that case, since running a cable near your router is not going to be possible, you will probably need a wireless ethernet adapter. You can either use one of the standard gaming adapters or you can use an inexpensive router that is re-configured to act as a wireless bridge. If you currently only have Wireless-G for your main router, you should still be okay as the Internet connection is just to be able to download DirecTV on Demand offerings and ordering PPV's via the Internet. With Wireless-G, you just might need wait a bit longer before you start watching the movie that you are downloading.

One other possibility would be to use PowerLine Ethernet Adapters.

- Merg

10. gsslug

gsslug Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    I considered that but I understand they have problems when not on the same circuit. Don't want to spend $100+ and find out they won't work in my house.

I thought DTV sold some kind of wireless adapter?

I already have a gaming adapter but to make it work with my system I would have to change the encryption type. Since I had a lot of problems in the past getting my wireless notebook to talk to my wireless router now that it's been working trouble free for a long time I'm reluctant to make changes. But I suppose if I want to connect to the internet I'll have to bite the bullet.