Connect HR24 to Cinema Connection Kit to EnGenius Access Point

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mikemyers, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Apr 5, 2017 #1 of 25
    mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    I had an HR24 connected to the internet via an Ethernet cable which was plugged into a switch, which was connected to a router. I replaced the carpet in my condo with tile. Now I want to connect everything using Wi-Fi. I now have an Engenius Access Point which is connected to my switch, so my entire condo. has good Wi-Fi.

On the advice of several brilliant people in this forum, I got the DirecTV Cinema Connection Kit (the correct version for Wi-Fi). I connected the box to the AC outlet, and connected the network connection on the back of the CCK to the network connection on my DVR, as shown in the booklet that came with the kit. I was supposed to get a message on the TV to start the setup, but nothing happened.

The CCK booklet said that if I don't get that message, I should go to the CCK User Manual, which was missing from the box. I have since found the manual here:
    http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1024511969.pdf

I found this while trying to sort out what to do:
    Receiver Models H24, HR24 or H25 only: go to the section below, Whole-Home DVR Service Without DECA .

I wasn't sure what to do next, so I called DTV tech support. A service tech told me that if I didn't have a router with the push button setup, I can't connect the CCK. .......in my mind, I just need to find a way to program the CCK for the SSID of my network and enter the password, and I should be connected.

Is this possible?

Plan B is to buy a network receiver that I can plug the Ethernet cable from the HR24 into, and that "Wi-Fi receiver" can connect to my Wi-Fi network.

2. Apr 5, 2017 #2 of 25
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Did you go into the Menu and try the setup the internet ?
    Since you had it set up once and it was wired and now it is wireless you probably have to reset to defaults and start over with the setup.

3. Apr 6, 2017 #3 of 25
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Try this procedure from Stuart posted back in '12 for the DCCK-W setup through its embedded web utility using a directly connected PC.

cckw webpage config

It's the procedure I originally used for mine years ago ...

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

4. Apr 6, 2017 #4 of 25
    mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    Thank you - that sounds like what I was trying to tell the DTV technician I needed to do, connect the CCK to a computer, so I could enter the settings, and then add it to my DTV setup.

One question - I only have the HR24, no other gear, and no DTV home networking. According to what I've read so far, I should use the other setup, connecting the Ethernet cable from the CCK to the connecter on the HR24, rather than connecting with co-ax cables. This is explained in the small brochure that came with the CCK.

So my plan from the post you linked to now is:
    ==========================================
    Do NOT connect the CCK-W to your router.

Connect the CCK-W via ethernet to a computer that is not connected to the internet. Straight cable, not a crossover.

Browse to http://169.254.1.100:8080. (It may be necessary to set the computer's IP address to 169.254.1.101 and the gateway to 169.254.1.1)

Username and password are both admin

Beyond that, it's all browser based. If you want to configure it that way, you're probably well versed in networking so you won't have a problem.

After you've done that and connected to the coax network, you should have four green lights; one may flash slowly. You can consult your router's DHCP table to get the device's new IP address, and should you need to administer it, browse to http://assigned_ip_address:8080

==========================================

I hope I didn't confuse my system - I learned long ago to NOT connect the HR24 to the router - the original technician did that, and nobody at DTV was able to fix it - the answer came from this forum, and I passed it on to them.

5. Apr 6, 2017 #5 of 25
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    You may use either connection method. Ethernet to the HR24 or place the DCCK-W at any convenient point somewhere inline on the satellite coax to the HR24.

Just make sure if you chose the coax inline option to restart the HR24 to re-activate its internal DECA which is disabled whenever you plug an active ethernet cable into that receiver model.

6. Apr 6, 2017 #6 of 25
    mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    Well, I'm not that "well versed in networking".

Here are four screens of my current settings - they may or may not be right, but they seemed reasonable.... based on how little I know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Much of the above was a reasonable guess, but it's too bad it's not as simple as just connecting a phone or a laptop.

I tried it, and no luck. I can take a screen photo of the TV, haven't done that yet. I stopped and got a long Ethernet cable and tried to plug everything in the way I've been using it in the past, and again no luck - but I noticed when I plugged the cable from the CCK to the switch, the lights did not light up on the switch. Strange.

I connected the same cable from my switch to another switch, and got connection lights.

I connected this same cable from the HR24 to the second switch only, and again no lights.

Unless something got confused from the testing yesterday, I assume that regardless of whether the network works or not, the lights on the switch should come on to indicate something is connected.

If I wasn't so stubborn I would just give up on this and quit. If I was smarter, I would copy over my old programming from the HR24, and send everything back to DTV for something newer.

7. Apr 6, 2017 #7 of 25
    mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    Added later - I went back to review the sample images at the end of the other post. I'm quite confusabobbled.....

I don't see how I (or the OP) could connect to a typical wireless network without selecting the SSID and entering the appropriate password. None of this appears in the images at the end of the other thread.

I certainly can't call DTV for any support - unless I can reach one of the technical engineers, all they seem to know is the easy way using the newer DTV gear.

8. Apr 6, 2017 #8 of 25
    mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    Added later later...

After thinking about this for a few hours, I realized something. Unless I'm mistaken, when I used my wired setup two years back, the lights lit up on my switch to indicate a connection between HR24 and switch. Now they don't.

Maybe that is the reason why nothing is working, and I'm not getting a menu on my TV asking for the SSID and Password?

Maybe the HR24 is broken, or maybe something is set incorrectly?

9. Apr 7, 2017 #9 of 25
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Make sure your Ethernet cable is connected to your HR24 and the bbdeca.

Then go into settings and then internet and reset the internet settings. In fact do it a couple times. Then restart the machine. After it reboots see if the lights come on on the back of the HR24 where the Ethernet cable
    Plugs in.

Also any chance you have coax that runs by your router? You could use a wired deca where your router is if the wiring is home runs and gets to the same place as your router.

10. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    I think you have solved my problem, at least one of them. I've got a poor memory, which doesn't help. I don't fully understand how the components work, which also is an issue. The CCK Quick Start Guide and the fact that I'm no longer using a "Multi-Receiver Setup" had me thinking I should follow the directions for the "Single Receiver Setup". I did remember that using the Ethernet Connection on the back of my HR24 caused a problem long ago. And finally, after trying out so many things, only to find that the Ethernet connection on the back of the HR24 might have a problem, meant either I'm doing something wrong, or the HR24 has a problem... probably me.

You wrote about the Ethernet cable connecting to the HR24. That jogged my memory, and I started looking at the small board that I had attached all the DirecTV components to. I had sketched everything out before I took the system apart for my condo remodeling, and re-assembled it on a separate board so I could make it more obvious what connects to what. I am 99.9% sure that the Ethernet connection on the top component in my photo is the connection I used to connect to my switch, and I now need to connect that connection to the CCK using the Ethernet cable.

[​IMG]

In this photo the white DTV cable comes through the wall at the left, and goes to a black box which is also connected to an AC outlet. I think this is the box that provides electrical power to the "SWM" system. From there, a co-ax cable goes to the splitter. Of the four outputs from the splitter, one co-ax cable goes to the HR24. Two of the co-ax connecters are unused - they used to go to H24 receivers. The other co-ax cable goes to a white box at the top (DECA1MR0-01) which has a co-ax cable leading to a power lead that goes to my AC outlet. That leaves the Ethernet connection at the top, which probably should connect to the CCK.

Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but I think the first thing I should do is connect an Ethernet cable from the DECA to my wired Ethernet connection switch on my network. That should be what I had before I took things apart, and the network should start working again like it used to.

If that works, I will use the CCK to connect to my Access Point. I need to power up the CCK box, and use the <RESET> button to put the CCK back to the way it was before I messed with it. I will then connect the CCK to the DECA. Maybe I will then get the on-screen instructions to configure the SSID and password.

11. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    Update - I hooked up an Ethernet cable from my DECA to my switch, and Internet is working fine. I used the Advanced Setup for a wired connection, and all the tests passed.

Next step is to connect the DECA to the CCK, and see if the on-screen setup appears.

12. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    Maybe a final update to this thread.

I did the "Reset Network" to clear out any previous settings, as suggested.

After a dozen tries, I eventually got things working, and got to where I got the message "Searching Wireless Networks". I thought I was done.

Nope, the only wireless network the CCK could find was "Linksys", but there is no such wireless network at my location. I tried to rename it with my network name and password, but all I got was error messages.

I plugged the CCK into my laptop, intending to find another way to reset it. Nope. But on a hunch, there was a page asking for the network name and passcode, along with type of encryption. I entered all that, did SAVE, and returned it to my system. Amazingly, DirecTV says it is now working!

I'll give it a day to see if everything is stable, and it remains connected, but there's a good chance it is now done.

Thank you all for the help you gave me - without it, I'd never have sorted this out.

13. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Stop! That is all you have to do. If you have the deca in your diagram connected to your Ethernet switch then stop. Don't put anything in the HR24 end. No Ethernet cable nothing. It will get its internet through the coax cable from the device in the picture.

14. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    The cable to the CCK now comes from the Ethernet connection on the top end of the DECA in my photo.

With the hint from you, I realized using the Ethernet connection on the HR24 was wrong. Right now everything fine. And thanks again for your help.

I'm puzzled though - without connecting the CCK to my computer, to enter the SSID and Wi-Fi password, how would I (or anyone) have gotten this thing to work?

15. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    When you connect a wireless access point to your system via deca the hr sees it's connected and gives you a pop up screen asking if you want to set it up. It guides you through the process allowing you to select the wifi network and enter your passcode.

16. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    You know you have said so many things so I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure your DIRECTV Wireless Boradband Internet Connection Kit is doing nothing right now. Can you draw a diagram of how things are physically connected so we can see exactly what you have done. Because if you had Internet before connecting the DIRECTV Wireless Boradband Internet Connection Kit then it's just wasting wifi space and power.

17. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    Sure - will draw the connection layout again. Will do it tonight.

By the way, yes, I had internet connection before installing the CCK, but back then I had an Ethernet cable going from the DECA to my network 'switch'. It was just one more connection on my network, along with computers and other things. When I replaced the living room carpet with tile, there was no longer a way to hide the Ethernet cable, so I removed it - internet stopped working on the DirecTV system.

What I've been doing in this thread, was to try to get my internet connection back, by "simply" use Wi-Fi instead of cable. It sounded so easy. It would have been, if the CCK simply allowed me enter the connection information for my Access Point, but the DTV software program I was following on my installation screen never got that far. It thought there was only one Wi-Fi connection, "Linksys" which doesn't even exist.

Thinking back on this, I couldn't find a way to enter the SSID an password into the CCK that would work with my EnGenius Access Point --- but all the documentation talked about connecting to a router, not an Access Point. Things might have worked differently if I had been connecting to a router.

18. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    That's what I never understood through all this. In the easiest installation it should have just been a simple matter of placing the DCCK-W on the satellite coax run to the HR24.

Then, assuming the HR24 was restarted to make sure its internal DECA is re-enabled, when you go into the receiver's Network Setup the HR24 should detect the DCCK-W over MoCA and generate a popup screen which shows both the router and AP listed as WiFi options to allow the OP to select one and enter the login info. for it.

19. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    I'm relearning how to use the 'pencil' program, but I think this represents what I now have. I need to change the names to the proper name for each component. If there are any mistakes, please let me know..... but this matches what I think I now have.
    [​IMG]

20. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Ok , this will work ...

But you just should able to dispense with the white DECA brick altogether and place the DCCK-W inline on the coax run from the SWM splitter to the HR24 ...

And then the DCCK-W should be able to connect wirelessly to the WAP through a popup UI under the Network Connection menu option on the HR24.