Connecting CCK/DECA to a second router

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by FuSchnickens, Jul 12, 2016.

1. FuSchnickens

FuSchnickens New Member

Nov 9, 2013
    I was running a wired DECA adapter thru the COAX and the speeds have been excellent. I'm trying to get the other half of the house wifi so I'm now running the DECA adapter to a router. Now that I've done this wifi is greatly improved and my wired connection to my HTPC remains solid. I'm running an NFS server on the main computer in the living room to share media throughout the house. With the new DECA/Router set up I tested to make sure I can still stream content from the living room pc NFS server and that is working fine too. Here's the issue that I've run into. I'm also running a Plex server on the living room pc. Mind you that all of this is on the same network but I'm not able to access Plex whether its through the wired HTPC or wirelessly on an iPad of laptop. I'm at a loss on this since I can access the NFS server and all my media is on the same network. I was accessing Plex fine before running the setup thru the router. Is there some kind of setting I have to enable on the 2nd router? I'm really at a loss as to why this is happening. Anyone encounter anything like this?

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Did you just simply plug it into this new router or did you set the router to become an access point? If you left it set as a regular router it's probably assigning anything plugged into it new ips and keeping them segregated from the rest of the network.

3. LILax

LILax Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Long Island
    Also, if your second router doesn't have a setting to be just an access point (without changing to different firmware), you could pickup just a regular wireless access point (you can find decent ones for ~$50 on Amazon)

4. FuSchnickens

FuSchnickens New Member

Nov 9, 2013
    The router is a Linksys EA3500. All I did was set it up as a regular router. How would I go about making it an access point? The HTPC is plugged into it and it's able to access the NFS server in my network.

5. mrknowitall526

mrknowitall526 Active Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    You need to go into the setup somewhere and turn off the DHCP server. That'll stop it from assigning IP addresses (the main router will do that instead).

While you're in there, you might as well make the SSID and password the same to ease connecting. Maybe even set the two routers on different wireless channels to avoid interference.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    And be sure you're not using the WAN port on the second router. Disable it if software allows. Just plug in one of the LAN ports (and give it an IP/ mask / gateway to your main router.)

7. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    I guess I am totally confused here. Why on earth would you setup a second DECA/CCK to your DirecTV coax. One DECA/CCK puts the whole thing on the internet. As pointed out above, you have a high likelihood of getting IP clashes when you have more than one router trying to connect to your receivers on the DirectTV network. You only need the one connection point unless you have a totally separate dish running the "other half of the house".

8. FuSchnickens

FuSchnickens New Member

Nov 9, 2013
    I've finally gotten everything working. Once I turned off DHCP server in the router and restarted it I have full access to all media on my network with all devices. Thanks for your help everyone. Much appreciated.

1 person likes this.
  9. mrknowitall526

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    He's using it to get the Internet signal onto a new router in a different part of the house. All the DECA does is concert coax to Ethernet and block out the TV signal.

10. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    I did have it wrong. But, this is still the wrong piece of equipment to be using for the extension. A switch or hub would eliminate some of the problems I would imagine he will encounter in the future. The OP seems happy for now, so not much more to say for now.

11. mrknowitall526

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    If it's a long run and there is no easy way to run Ethernet, I say it works just fine

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Nothing wrong with wiring it this way. I did the same thing to the back of our house (no ethernet anywhere in our house, but every room has a coax wall outlet). Just have to set up the second router as recommended above.

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Actually the opposite. ..

The DECA "blocks" or filters out to a codec the MoCA network signal (475-625 MHz) from passing through it while allowing the satellite SWiM signals (2.3 MHz and 950-2150 MHz, the "TV" ones you're referring to) to pass through unaffected.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

14. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    But what the OP wants is both a WAP and a ethernet switch at a remote location in the house. Therefore a router configured as a WAP is the cheapest way to go to serve both functions.

I'm using the same setup with a Linksys E2500 router which only has so-so WiFi perfomance, configured as WAP and connected by a DECA to the DIRECTV coax network and then on to the main home router (a Linksys WRT1900AC) located at the front of the house, to extend WiFi coverage to the rear of the house and backyard/garage areas.

15. TimC

TimC Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Does anyone know the connection speed of the DECA III. I know the DECA II is 100 mbps.

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Same as the DECA I/II ...

10/100 ethernet.

The differences in the first three DECA module generations are not in the area of connection speeds.