1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting DVR & Blu-Ray to network

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tazzwalker, Apr 25, 2010.

1. tazzwalker

tazzwalker New Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Have hr-22 in mstr bedroom with 0x3a8 software update, also Samsung BD P-1600. Trying to connect both to network & internet. Tried powerline adapter, but was unstable. Wireless router, Belkin N, is in different room. Looking for suggestions on what to use to connect them to network. Wife will not allow hardwire.:confused::(

2. vbedford

vbedford AllStar

Jul 24, 2008
    I am running a wireless adapter that i bought from their website. Its lags for mrv
    but it's ok for everything else.

3. tgater

tgater Godfather

Jul 24, 2007
    Look at the Netgear 3700 or similar that can be used as a "Access Point or Bridge"

4. OneOfOne

OneOfOne Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    that is absurd. you should negotiate more. the ethernet connections can be hidden with a little effort. besides she allows that purple hair doesnt she? seriously it really annoys me when guys talk about the 'wife acceptance factor'. and yes I am married. both of you will benefit from the better quality connection and NOTHING beats or equals wired ethernet. if you still cant get the wired ethernet connection you need to get usb adapters for both pieces of equipment. I kinda doubt the bluray will have enough bandwidth to be enjoyable but I could be wrong. hello 'buffering' messages.

5. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    My wife didn't want hardwire either, but I had the installer come over and hardwire the house anyway when she wasn't home. All the wires are profesionally installed, and work like a charm. Cost me less to wire the house than it did to buy the switches and access points and I get a lot better signals.

And, I challenged my wife to find any "residue" from the hardwire. She can't.

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Actually, it would be wireless ethernet adapters for the DirecTV receivers. The USB ports on the receivers are not used for network connectivity.

To the OP, as stated you can look at getting a wireless router and then setting it up as a wireless bridge. Basically, you'd be running a second network that just connects wirelessly back to your primary router. Any IP address assignments still come from the primary router.

- Merg

7. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Since nobody else mentioned it yet, you may also want to consider waiting until DECA gets released in your area. DECA would use your existing RG6 wire to allow you to hook up to your home network.

8. 2dogz

2dogz Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    But would Directv condone/allow him to connect the Bluray player to the DECA cloud/network?

9. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    Somehow I doubt the blueray player would even know how to connect across DECA.

Best option if you absolutely can not find a way to sneak hardwiring in there is to get a wifi access point that has a bridge/client mode and an ethernet switch. The acces points ethernet leads to one port on the switch after its been setup as a client of your existing access point and then you plug the DVR and BD player into two of the switches other ports. Wireless N is probably the only wireless protocol that will come anywhere close to providing the bandwidth that your BD will require.

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    As I understand it, if you used a DECA to connect a device to the DECA cloud, it would be no different than having your router connected. The information from the device would just be using the DECA cloud to connect to the router.

Now if something were to stop working with your receivers, the first trouble-shooting solution should be to remove any non-receivers from the DECA cloud to verify it is not causing a conflict.

- Merg

11. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    A device doesn't need to know how to negotiate a DECA connection. By attaching an ethernet switch to a DECA dongle additional devices (such as a BD player) will function just fine. While D* may not be happy with this approach others have mentioned no issues with doing so.

12. bleggett29

bleggett29 Legend

Feb 2, 2008
    I'm in a similar situation but have an additional DVR in the mix and they're in the living room. I have a HR21-700, HR22-100, a BD P-1600 and a Linksys WGA600N Wireless Gaming Adaptor. Although not recommended, I use both ethernet ports on both DVRs.

P-1600 to HR22 -- HR22 to HR21 -- HR21 to WGA600N -- WGA600N to Zoom X6 ADSL router(in G mode (used to have a WRT610N but it died)).

This configuration has been working with no problems for about 4 months now. Initially, when I had to downgrade to wireless G, MRV to the H21 in the bedroom(cat6 to the Zoom X6) was not so good. But a simple relocation of the WGA600N increased the wireless signal from below 30 to above 80. After that, MRV was the same as between the two DVRs.

As I mentioned earlier, it's not recommended to use both ports on a HR2x but I've had no problems doing it.

13. DidlySquat

DidlySquat New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Has anyone looked at or used the Netgear WNHDEB111 HD/Gaming 5 GHz Wireless-N Networking Kit? Looks like it may be a good option for wireless. I am in the same boat, looking to hook up the DVR and Blue-ray player.

14. Kapeman

Kapeman Godfather

Dec 22, 2003
    I thought that I had read something about that before, but when I brought it up in another thread, I was told it couldn't be done, and by that I mean an Ethernet device riding the DECA net to get to the router and thereby the Internet connection.

Do you have any thread links?

Thanks!

15. zx10guy

zx10guy AllStar

Nov 16, 2008
    Something I want to bring up here which often times gets overlooked in these type of discussions. Wired networking is not only better because of the higher bandwidth when comparing the latest Ethernet protocol with the latest wireless protocol, but also on the subject of duplexing. With current switched networking technology being the norm/standard, all wired devices can communicate at full duplex. Why is this significant? Because the wired devices don't have to listen on the wire to see if another device is already communicating. This waiting adds time to the network comms. In addition, chances of frame collisions are nill as there are no other devices the host device has to worry about except talking straight to the switch. This is why switches quickly replaced hubs in LAN topologies.

With wireless technologies, all devices share the same airwave space to communicate. There is no isolation possible like in wired networks to allow full duplex operation. As such, wireless devices have to see if anyone is transmitting first before sending out their comms. This methodology is similar to how CSMA/CD works in half duplex Ethernet environments. So why is this an important consideration in network performance? Well, as you add more wireless clients, the potential for more network traffic increases where the chances of any given wireless client having to wait before transmitting increases. Also, the chances of collisions increases where two devices end up sending traffic at the same time. Networks can be brought to their knees just with frame collisions and wait states without even maxing out the available bandwidth. With more and more devices being networked in the home, people better start factoring this into the equation of their network builds/designs.

My philosophy for networks is this. When possible ALWAYS go wired. Wireless for me is primarily a convenience thing where performance takes a back seat. And depending on your proximity to other 802.11 2.4 GHz networks and devices which utilize the same carrier frequency, you can also experience degradation in that aspect alone.