Connecting ethernet to HR44

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mltj74, Sep 28, 2013.

1. mltj74

mltj74 New Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Hello all,

I have a Direct Tv HR44-200 and two Direct Tv C41-500 recievers in the house. Recently i have been having terrible trouble with the HR44 connecting via wireless to my router. It will only stay connected for about a day then revert to factory default ip address where i have to restore defaults and red button reset. Without doing a reset i get a error "cannot connect at this time". This problem has persisted with 2 routers so i know its not my router. After 6 phone calls to direct tv nothing has been done to fix this. They have me do a red button reset and reconnect and say they cant send a tech if there is no problem. Next time i call i get the same thing. So i searched the forums and found many people say there is no problem connecting via ethernet cord. But on 3 phone calls with direct tv about the wireless i asked if simply connecting ethernet would work and they replied "simply connecting ethernet will deactivate the genie client recievers. A ethernet connection package is required to do this correctly ($90)". I would just like to get more feedback on this with my specific equiptment before i go connecting things and causing more problems.

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    BS on the Ethernet hardwire connected to your home LAN will disconnect the clients.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    There is a known issue regarding ONLY the HR44-200. DirecTV found out that its built in WiFi DECA wont "hold" the internet connenction. the Fix is either using a direct ethernet connection or a Broadband DECA

4. mltj74

mltj74 New Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Thats what i was thinking was just making sure. So i should be good to go on connecting my ethernet wire?

So there is a know issue with the HR44-200. Funny direct tv has no clue about it or just choses to ignore it and make you red button reset everyday. I had a DECA box on my router but they took it away when they installed the genie. I am guessing this is what they are wanting me to buy? I might try and call them tomorrow and demand them to send a DECA box so i can cannect to internet that way. There really is no advanage between DECA and direct ethernet connection correct?

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    I had my -200 on WiFi for the first month to test it, and there were no problems. I prefer wired in all circumstances, so I switched to ethernet.

There'd be no advantage speed wise or solidarity wise, so it's a matter of convenience and/or aesthetics.

6. JasTay4224

JasTay4224 New Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Connecting via Ethernet port on any whole-home based system with receiver models with built in DECAs " CAN " cause the internal DECA to disengage causing communication problems. It is not a supported method and is not recommended as it may cause the Clients to lose link to the Genie.

Built in DECA models..

HR24-xxx
    HR34-xxx
    HR44-xxx
    H24-xxx
    H25-xxx
    All Client models ( Genie-Mini's )

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Connecting via Ethernet port on any whole-home based system with receiver models with built in DECAs " CAN " cause the internal DECA to disengage causing communication problems. It is not a supported method and is not recommended as it may cause the Clients to lose link to the Genie.

Built in DECA models..

HR24-xxx
    HR34-xxx
    HR44-xxx
    H24-xxx
    H25-xxx
    All Client models ( Genie-Mini's )
    Not quite. while you are correct on the H2x and HR2x, you are incorrect when it comes to either Genie. it is perfectly fine to connect the Genie wit ethernet without disturbing WHDVR

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

8. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    That is patently NOT true for the Genies. It works a treat on them, but can be disastrous for other units on whole home.

9. mltj74

mltj74 New Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Well i just got off the phone and after talking to 3 poeple and a supervisor i have a tech coming next weekend. They where trying to sell me the deca adapter for $90. After a hour of arguing its there problem and if they didnt want to send me a deca for free just send me another model reciever. They agreed to send a Tech to investigate the problem with my network. If they find its my network they are going to charge for the service call. I do not see how it is my network when the problem persists over 2 routers but we will see. I also had to go through 3 people because the first one had me do a reset and reconnect to the wifi and said "well its working so we cant help". I hate it when a company does not stand behind its product. I will update you all on what the tech does to fix it ethernet or deca device.

Sadly they tried to get me to purchase starz and upgrade my protection plan more than they tried to fix my problem!

10. DB Stalker

DB Stalker Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Tooele, UT
    There is a known issue regarding ONLY the HR44-200. DirecTV found out that its built in WiFi DECA wont "hold" the internet connenction. the Fix is either using a direct ethernet connection or a Broadband DECA

To call it known would be to indicate that everyone knows about it. I don't think the engineers have known about it long enough for all of the CSRs and techs to be aware of it.

#)

11. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    In any event, can you not connect an ethernet wire to the 44, do a reset of the receivers and report the results?

12. JasTay4224

JasTay4224 New Member

Oct 29, 2012
    It is a supported method then... Really?

13. JasTay4224

JasTay4224 New Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Did you notice the... " can "

It's not a DTV supported method for introduction of the network for that specific reason.

14. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    I don't understand the level of certainty with which you appear to speak. And what is the antecedent for "It's not a DirecTV supported method..."

15. JasTay4224

JasTay4224 New Member

Oct 29, 2012
    DTV does not recommend, nor support this method. If you choose to use the Ethernet port on the back of the receivers for introduction of the network or communication via Ethernet then you are essentially.... On your own.

Any CSR or Technician will tell you that is not the proper way to do it and insist that it be done via the coax network using a BBDeca or a Wifi-Deca unit.

That is due to the " possibility " that engaging the Ethernet port " could " cause the Internal Deca to disengage.

As far as what is the antecedent for it not being a supported method..

Call em.

16. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    If you can plug directly into the 44, then just do so... it works very well. I've had it like this on a HR44-200 for awhile without issue. Don't even worry if DirecTV doesn't "support" it.

17. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    "Any CSR" is a product of his or her training and experience as well as competence. It varies widely. We've seen too many instances of training lacking, and people being told things that are simply not the case.

I have not read of one problem being caused by a Genie hooked to ethernet directly.

Are you an employee of DIRECTV® or one of its suppliers? In what capacity?

18. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    When I had my HR44-500 installed (for a broken HR34) back in early June, the installer used my WiFi connection. My HR21-100 would drop its internet connection about every other day. I then plugged my ethernet directly into the HR44 and have not had any issues with internet or MRV connectivity since.

19. rpiotro

rpiotro Mentor

Apr 29, 2008

Shhh. Please be quiet. I don't want my setup to overhear this. The installer recommended connecting an ethernet cable from my home network directly to the HR-34 only. It has been working flawlessly for about three months now.

As a side note, I have been using an URC MX-5000 remote with IP control of the two boxes in the living room (and the AVR and BluRay). Beats IR or RF control hands down. When you press a button it responds. Always. I guess the network is OK.

20. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Really

For over a year now. The Ethernet in the Genies are a bridge. A hookup does not disable its internal DECA.