Connecting Philips 3576H Hard Drive DVD-Recorder to Directv Receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bikemanAMD, May 6, 2011.

1. May 6, 2011 #1 of 31
    bikemanAMD

bikemanAMD AllStar

May 1, 2011
    Just Got an Install Done today, and at a lost how to get Hard drive dvd-recorder working right

Receiver HR24/700
    Recorder Philips 3576H

I get picture now, but no audio, do i have to buy a Splitter to split the Outputs between the Receiver and The Hard drive Dvd recorder?

2. May 6, 2011 #2 of 31
  3. May 6, 2011 #3 of 31
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    yes, but you don't described what DVR you using and what outputs you took and what cable(s) you connect between ...

4. May 6, 2011 #4 of 31
    bikemanAMD

bikemanAMD AllStar

May 1, 2011
    HR24/700

Component Cables to TV, Connected with Red/White Audio Cables, Using Philips 3576H Hard drive DVD Recorder, Picture, but NO sound currently working...appears gonna have to get a Splitter or something to split audio between the 2 devices i suppose

5. May 6, 2011 #5 of 31
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    well, you said "res/white" stereo cable with 3x component ie 5 wires, should be enough ... could you connect the red/white to any other sink (amplifier) to check if it's not a cable/connectors issue ?

wait a sec ! HR24-700 is not exist !

6. May 6, 2011 #6 of 31
    bikemanAMD

bikemanAMD AllStar

May 1, 2011
    rehooked the red/white cables out from the Receiver into the TV, and audio is working on the Satellite Receiver input, but nothing on the Recorders input at all, dead silent, unless i take another red/white cable and put those on Recorders input section and try that direct to TV

Well only one set of outputs from the Satellite Receiver, so i guess i'll look around for a Audio Y Cable, and split off both i suppose

7. May 6, 2011 #7 of 31
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    check your philips then ...
    what DVR you have ? that one what you post is not exist !

8. May 6, 2011 #8 of 31
    bikemanAMD

bikemanAMD AllStar

May 1, 2011
    Phillips 3576
    2008 Model
    160gb hard drive
    Discontinued

Inputs are

Av In
    Output Component

and Svideo

HDMI out, but my tv does not have HDMI

and RF

9. May 6, 2011 #9 of 31
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    Not that one - the "HR24-700" is not exist !

10. bikemanAMD

bikemanAMD AllStar

May 1, 2011
    That's what it says in the info screen on it, hold on i'l check again

Oops H24/700

Sorry

11. moghedien

moghedien Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=12298409&postcount=10#Con5

I've had the Philips 3575 connected to a Directv receiver for the last three years and the above forum helped me alot...

Make sure you have these connections:

Directv HR receiver(outputs)-->S-Video(or Yellow RCA), Red,White RCA --> Philips DVDR(inputs)

Philips DVDR outputs --> Red,Green,Blue RCA, Red,White RCA --> TV inputs

Also, if you want to watch HD programming without going through the Philips:
    Directv HR receiver outputs --> Red,Green, Blue RCA, Red,White RCA --> TV inputs

12. bikemanAMD

bikemanAMD AllStar

May 1, 2011
    No Svideo outpout on the Directv Receiver, Component, or Composite, or HDMI, or USB

I got enough on the Phillips one, but no way to connect the Directv Receiver and still have audio as well, even thru my Audio Receiver--nothing has worked so far. and i got enough Component connections, just not getting anywhere audio wise

Tv is Mitsubshi WS-55315
    2005 Television

Just stuck, can't record anything, or do anything with my Philips recorder

13. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    @ Bikeman

I have mine connected as above, and audio works OK; maybe there is a setting in the setup portion that needs to be looked at. I will check mine tonight.

I'm not sure if this forum allows attachments to PMs, but if so I can send you the pdf manual for this machine (just let me know).

My favorite feature is that it preserves the 16:9 aspect ratio for HD dubs from DVR to recorder.

14. bikemanAMD

bikemanAMD AllStar

May 1, 2011
    Well i guess i can give it one more shot, aggraviting me that the recorder isn't working, despite isn't much ways to connect it with my TV, since I Do not have HDMI capababilites, only have Component, DVI, and such....just want it to work so badly, since i do use my recorder alot

Here is how mine is connected

DirectV HD Receiver--Component out to TV, with Red/White Audio cables

Philips 3576H--Yellow Composite Cable to AV In 1, Red/White Audio Cables From Receiver, Resulting in NO Sound on Recorder input, can't see any other way to hook it up at all, TV inputs available are DTV, DVI, Component, Input 1 and 2 Composite, RF In and Out

Do i need to get an Audo Splitter or Y Cable? to hook up between the 2 devices?

or i can't use my Philips 3576 Hard drive DVD-Recorder anymore?

15. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    Are you set up for DD or optical audio on the DVR? That could mute the audio out of the DVR for analog (red+white). I would try it into a known good input to see if its the DVR or the DVDR. Just because you have audio out when viewing does not guarantee that audio is coming out of the analog cables as well; you may have to futz with those settings on the DVR.

16. bikemanAMD

bikemanAMD AllStar

May 1, 2011
    No Optical Audio as i don't have those cables...only got audio out of the satellie receiver...so far no luck in it working, i may try another dvd recorder tomorrow, once i get a new Digital audio cable for one of the devices, and i'll see how it handles, perhaps for the Satellite Receiver i'll hook up Digital audio, and see if i can get it working

Hooked up my Older Panasonic ES15 Recorder

Also Hooked up the Directv Receiver via HDMI to Dvi cable, and optical audio

So i guess i do have a working DVD recorder for now, just not my hard drive model

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    Isn't post #6 telling us - stereo signal coming out of those RCA red/white cables from DTV receiver normally ? ;)

18. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    Isn't post #17 telling us - fetal alcohol syndrome is a serious life-long problem? ;)

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    That's clinical case ... Please make an appointment to your doctor. :D

20. moghedien

moghedien Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    Are there no red/white cables going from the H24 to the 3576? If not, you'll probably have to split the outputs from the H24 to go to the 3576 and your AV receiver...