1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering cancellation - what is best way to find best deal?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by BHYDE-1, May 28, 2013.

1. BHYDE-1

BHYDE-1 Cool Member

Nov 2, 2007
    I've been a DirecTV customer for approximately 10 years, and four years ago added a second account at my daughter's home in another city. Neither account is within the two year contract period.

I've had my own DirecTV account suspended since January, when my DVR conked out. After many years with the Premiere package, the ever-added costs just got to me - the DVR fee, which DirecTV then began increasing (for a while, I was grandfathered, and didn't have a DVR fee, then they started charging me), the HD fee, then the increasing Premiere fee - I didn't want to ask for a replacement DVR and incur a new two-year commitment in view of these areas of dissatisfaction.

Now my daughter's family is moving to another city. If her home has a good line of sight, I suppose she and her husband can subscribe on their own and get the deal that new subscribers get if they decide to keep DirecTV, but they're on their own now that grad school is over.

So I'm considering canceling DirecTV. I called today, and the following offer was made for my own account: replace the broken DVR with a comparable DVR without a 2-year commitment; or get a new genie HR-44 or Tivo - plus a second unit for the bedroom, for free with a 2-year commitment. On the programming side, and this was without regard to whether I made a 2-year commitment: $10 off per month for a year for the Premiere package, free HD for a year(worth $10 per month), and $5 per month off for six months for each of the following: HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime. So, a total of $40 per month off for 6 months, and $20 off per month for the next 6 months; and the representative said there would probably be some additional offers for the premium channels at the six-months point. And there was an offer for NFL max for about $120.

I'm just not sure if I want to stay with DirecTV. But I'll make that decision before deciding whether to accept this offer. But would I do better actually canceling if I decide to stay?

Any comments would be helpful.

I must say that the person I spoke to in cancellation certainly was pleasant.

2. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Is there an amount you're looking to get? I would say if the offer sounds good to you, jump on it. I'm sure other people have gotten more but there are far more people who have been offered less.

3. ChiWavDave

ChiWavDave Cool Member

Jul 13, 2007
    FYI, I cancelled, sat out about 5-6 months trying another provider (UVerse) and came back to a much better deal than the above. Got about $35 off the Premier package for the first year with $10 discounts in year 2/3. Got the sunday ticket max for free, genie and 2 other rooms for free and all the movie channels free for 3 months.

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Well, What are your other choices - Dish, cable FiOS?

5. BHYDE-1

BHYDE-1 Cool Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Comcast is my other choice, and I have two Tivo premieres that I use. I didn't originally include that since the issue is whether to keep DirecTV plus Comcast. The Comcast bundle of cable + internet + telephone is just too good to overlook, since I basically get my phone for free and also get a $50 reduction each month off my cable.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Dont see nothing wrong with this deal. it seems that for the first 6 months, you will be getting a 50% discount!

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If there's nothing gluing you to DIRECTV, you need to set up a table with your options and see how they all pencil out. Weigh the channels you need and the hardware you want against price and any other factor you deem important. There may be options you hadn't previously considered or that have become competitive since you last gave thought to the subject.

If you don't really care one way or the other, going off suspension is certainly a lot easier and you certainly don't have to add or upgrade anything (unless you own your DVR).

What I would counsel is that you think very hard and carefully about going the TiVo route. The THR22 is neither the best of TiVo nor the best DIRECTV has to offer and it will cost you $5/month extra for the privilege.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    One thing to keep in mind if you do stay, the DirecTV Tivo is nothing like the Tivo Premiere. I don't think I'd recommend it unless someone just does not want to use anything but the TiVo GUI, no matter what.

9. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Additionally with the DirecTV Tivo, you have to pay a 5.00 Tivo charge in addition to the DVR service fee of 10.00
    So it is like double paying to be able to use the DVR functionalities unless you have TV Lifetime service.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    A replacement DVR for one that 'conked out' would have been (at most) $19.95 plus applicable taxes. No additional commitment.

And that is why they made you that same offer today.

But as others have said, it looks like a good deal, but you have to decide your price point based on your programming needs and then compare that to other providers.

Good luck.

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I like DirecTV, which is why I have it. However, if I chose Comcast on a triple play deal I would not have DirecTV. I do not need two television service providers. Keeping DirecTV is pretty much what is keeping me from upgrading my Comcast (which I have only for internet). However, I do agree with you as far as cost is concerned, it keeps rising every year and eventually it will price itself out of my budget. Maybe when that happens I'll have to take another look at Comcast, or maybe just go to OTA.

I guess that was the long way of saying if I were you, I would drop DirecTV. You are obviously satisfied with your Comcast service.

12. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Call and use the cancel cancel prompt and make sure it's retention dept, if it is explain your situation and let them work there magic, I was skeptical at first of how people got freebies, but it just happened to me, but it could depend on account history.

13. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    it does to a certain extent :)

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I am surprised sometimes to the length DirecTV will go in order to retain a customer.

15. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Right now the company is actually focusing heavily on loyatly and building loyal customers to reduce churn.

16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    then where does the PP come into place. if all it takes is one word.....

17. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Customers who spoke with retention and got equipment offers were able to do so based off of their account history. Not everyone who calls in and speaks with Retention is able to get their way. The Protection Plan allows customers even with a poor account history to get a free upgrade every 2 yrs. This has been discussed on these forums before btw :)

18. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Not to mention, when the HR34 was branded the Genie, how long was it before people were able to get offers on it? The PP upgrade will allow people to get offers on new equipment as it comes out, as long as they're eligible for their upgrade.

19. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    exact a mundo

20. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    You could have fooled me! They would not give me a free upgrade me last week when I needed a dvr replacement. Been with since 2001, autopay, NFLST, premiums, etc. and out of contract. Perhaps I have already proved my loyalty?