Considering Change to DISH from DTV

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tmanbt, Aug 20, 2018.

1. tmanbt

tmanbt Cool Member

Feb 4, 2003
    I am a long time DTV customer (over 10 yrs). I am considering a switch to Dish. Can some dish customers chime in PLEASE, I have a few questions...

How is the speed of the hopper 3 and guide ?

I am planning on Hopper3 and 4 joey 4k's, Can I watch live TV on all at the same time ?

How is picture quality ?

Any "Gotcha's" I should be aware of ?

Thanks for any advise anyone can offer !

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    oh, you will got much more info if you will search for the same question posted hundred times here
    • speed is pretty fast
    • yes, some do it on six joeys
    • could be better if dish will stop blaming old 10+ year optical cable fault and comes up to 1920x1080 instead of 1440x1080
    • many gotchas - all posted here, it would be enormous task to post them here again

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  3. BreadDawg

BreadDawg Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Deep South
    My 2 cents, having had the H3 before and currently with an HR54 from Direct...
    Dish Pros- H3 runs circles around the Genies
    -18 tuners with the H3, yes I tested it out, all work at the same time, no flaws
    -search function so much better with Dish,
    -Netflix built in to H3 works really well
    -H3 is super fast

Dish Cons- I didnt like the way they packaged their channels, for me and the channels I like/need, DTV does a better job
    -channel packages again- I think you get better bang for your buck with DTV
    -slightly better pic quality with DTV, again with the H3 it is only slightly...
    -DTV programming IMO runs circles around Dish, Audience Channel, no of HD channels...

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    may I suggest you did count it as 16 sat + 2 OTA ?

another plus for dish:
    • no artificial limitation to OTA set - you can see all channels what you can receive from all directions

5. acer505

acer505 Cool Member

Nov 14, 2007
    I'm going back to Directv in one week.Because i love Sports and Dish does not have the channel i want and miss from Directv.
    The H3 is great but the picture quality is soft on HD.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it's very subjective point of view, if you would post pairs of screenshots for each kind: sharpness, mosquito noise, jagged lines, etc you would have a ground
    now anyone would claim opposite and will be never objected by such posts as above

7. BreadDawg

BreadDawg Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Deep South
    Call me crazy but this is how I look at the PQ between the 2:
    Side by Side H3 vs DTV, DTV would probably edge out the H3. Its kind of like comparing a high end OLED to my Vizio, side by side I would probably tell a difference between the 2, but if you focus on the sole picture at hand, IMO Dish's picture with the H3is just a hair behind DTV.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    that's what I'm expected ;)

9. carl robbins

carl robbins Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Portland oregon
    I'm getting hopper 3 and3 Joey's installed Wednesday and I'll give you a update...I use to be a DTV customer until today.

10. tmanbt

tmanbt Cool Member

Feb 4, 2003
    Thanks ! I'll check back on Thursday

carl robbins likes this.
  11. DR2420

DR2420 New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Michigan
    I was with DIRECTV, had the Genie HR54 with 3 4K clients. Switched to DISH a few weeks ago. I have the Hopper 3 with 3 Joey 3's. Overall, I think the service works more smoothly compared to DIRECTV. The Hopper 3 is the better DVR for sure and the Joey's are more stable compared to the DIRECTV clients. The one thing I don't care for as much with DISH is the picture quality. I do feel like the HD is softer and the picture just isn't as crisp to me. I notice more compression/artifacts in the background. I really think they could improve on the picture quality. They'd have pretty much a perfect service if the picture quality was equal to DIRECTV. In my opinion, it's not and it's quite noticeable to me. I just had too many problems with DIRECTV's equipment, with continued pixelation and the clients freezing up and running slow at times. Don't have to worry about that with DISH, at least with my experience thus far.

12. carl robbins

carl robbins Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Portland oregon

I switched today to Dish too. I got a hopper 3 and three JoeysJust had a massive thunder storm had signal never dropped out. Dvr is best out there I think. Netflix 4k picture quality is perfect. I noticed PQ is different but not by much. I have the samsung 8000 4k tv and most c Hannes look great. I had same problems with Directv equipment also plus customer service now is the worst.

13. DR2420

DR2420 New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Michigan
    I would agree with you on the signal as well. DISH seems to have a stronger signal compared to DIRECTV. My signal would actually go out with DIRECTV before it even rained. It doesn't do that with DISH and it seems to hold up better when it's raining. I have a Samsung MU8000 55 inch 4K TV.

14. DR2420

DR2420 New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Michigan
    I also like the DISH remotes a lot more. It's cool how you can tell the remote what channel you want to go to and it automatically goes to the channel for you, that's pretty cool and I forgot to mention that. It also lights up, which can help people when it's dark in the room.

15. r194ondi

r194ondi Cool Member

Aug 21, 2007
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have been checking some of my favorite channels on DTV that are on Dish, and 1 in particular appears to not be in HD most of the time. The Olympic Channel (OLY) 624 on DTV showing Equestrian is definitely in HD. The listing on TitanTV (for Spokane DTV) says it is also. TitanTV (for Spokane Dish) channel 389 OLYHD does not have the red "HD" in the time slot for the same show. If you watch shows in HD on your DTV, I suggest you check those channels on TitanTV to make sure they are in HD. It has been mentioned on this forum that Dish does not show as many HD shows as DTV--OLY is probably one of them, as are most high 300's channels for Dish on TitanTV. It is also possible TitanTV is wrong.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH carries channels in HD. The Olympic channel is channel 389 and is a HD feed 24/7. Whether or not the show being aired was produced in HD is up to the channel itself. The channel upconverts any SD content and delivers the same HD feed to DIRECTV and DISH (and other providers carrying the channel). You should not find any shows that are HD on DISH and SD on DIRECTV (or vice versa).

Guide information can be wrong. If you are seeing a program listed as HD on DISH and SD on DIRECTV (or vice versa) it is a guide error.