1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering Direct HD Service

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by John R. Metzger, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John R. Metzger

John R. Metzger Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    I am considering changing from Dish Network HD to Direct TV but have some questions. I currently have 2 VIP-622 dual tuner Dish receivers. Since it is only my wife and I, I think we could get a Direct HD PVR and a normal Direct HD. I would want to hook each of them up using HDMI cables. I would also like to feed two SD TV's (one from each receiver). I realize the programning would be identical on the HD and SD TV's (with the excption of no HDTV on the SD TV's). Looking at the manuals for the Direct units, however, I see no coax outputs from them. Is it possible to use a converter and feed the TV 2sets at the same time? Also, is there any way to control the tuner from a room other than the one in which the receiver is located? Are there any other things I should be aware of which I have not thought about yet? By the way the reason I am interested in Direct is because they have my local HD channels which I cannot get using an antenna and I am in one of the 3 or 4 "Top 50" DMA's which Dish is not even mentioning carrying. Thank you for any help you can give me.

2. morbid_fun

morbid_fun Godfather

Jan 16, 2007
    Regarding the hook up of two SDTVs, all the receivers come with one coax output. Therefore you do not really need a converter to run to each additional tv. To answer the second question: I do not have experience with that, but it is similar to how E* does it. You would need a small device at the second television that can relay the commands to the receiver. The devices can usually be found at Radio Shack and other similar stores.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The HD receiver and DVR do NOT have coax outputs. However all of the outputs are active at the same time, so you can feed an RF modulator from the composite video/audio output at the same time you are using either component or HDMI to your local HD set.

The HR20 DVR is capable of RF remote control, so yes, you could control it from another room. I'm not sure about the HD receiver (non DVR) as far as RF remote.

Carl

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007

The H20 (non-DVR HD tuner) is RF capable, and the remotes have very good range.

5. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    If you enable both the H20 and HR20 for RF remote capability, can you differentiate which unit the remote is actually controlling? Or will commands from the remote do basically the same thing to both units (allowing that the units in some capacity have different functions)?

6. DTV installer

DTV installer Cool Member

Jan 18, 2007
    you can by a modulator at walmart or radio shack that will run rca cables from the output on the hr20 or h20 to this modulator then from the coax output to the other tv also D* does not include a rf remote and antenna with the h20 latley so you will have to by the rf remote and antenna kit from them i think its like 20 or 30 bucks

7. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    When you program the remote for RF mode, you enter part of the receiver's ID number into the remote, effectively locking it into controlling only that receiver.

8. dconfer

dconfer Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    Thank you for this I was wondering this myself.

9. morbid_fun

morbid_fun Godfather

Jan 16, 2007
    My mistake, you are right about the HD receivers but all the SD receivers have coax outs.

10. tiger2005

tiger2005 Godfather

Sep 22, 2006
    Also, and I'm not sure if you use it from Dish, but the DirecTV HD DVR does not have dual live buffers. Meaning you can't watch one channel, pause, move to the buffer on the other tuner by the press of a button, and then hit the button again to come back to the point at which you paused the other buffer.

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Is the SD output of the receiver letterboxed when the HD TV is 16:9?

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "I think" the format setting will determine the SD output. [I think as I haven't sent SD out while watching HD].

13. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    The format will be the same on all outputs

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    What are you meaning? :confused: The HD format is unchangeable with HD resolutions on the HD outputs, but "some" format needs to show on the SD output [of the HD signal], so what is it & wouldn't the format setting control it?

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'm guessing that the SD output will be letterboxed on HD content. What concerns me is whether the SD content is normalized or if it gets doubly letterboxed (top, bottom and both sides) because the main display is 16:9.

I can see lots of problems if the output modes must be switched back and forth depending on which TV you're watching.

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    For SD I know if you're in pillarbox, then the S-Video does come out with the pillar "bars", so if I want to record it I need to watch it in "stretch mode" so it comes out "normal" on the S-Video out. Not the nicest way to do things. I would guess that crop would be the setting for "normal" S-Video output while watching an HD program [but I don't know]. FWIW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.