Considering DISH

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jw_rally, Jun 17, 2020.

1. jw_rally

jw_rally Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Ohio
    My DIRECTV contract is expiring in a couple of months and I am considering all options including keeping DIRECTV, local cable, streaming providers and DISH.

I have a few questions regarding DISH that hopefully someone can help with.

1 - Browsing the DISH site, I am impressed by the channel lineups. One lesser known channel I watch on DIRECTV in HD is INSP. I love the old westerns. It looks like DISH has INSP only in SD. Is that accurate? If so, how does the SD picture look in terms of quality?
    2 - If the US ever gets back to playing sports again, does DISH have 4k sports programming?
    3 - DIRECTV used to have the capability of OTA integration in some of their receivers. Does DISH have that functionality? DIRECTV no longer has that available on their new 4k receivers.
    4 - Can DISH installers use the DIRECTV dish mount? I'm not interested in a second satellite dish on my roof.
    5 - Will DISH installers install on outdoor OTA antenna as part of the install.

I know these are very specific questions, but any help is appreciated.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH SD is higher quality than DIRECTV SD. For content that is probably SD at the source you may or may not see a difference.
    DISH has less 4K than DIRECTV.
    DISH does have a dual channel module that can be uses to tune two OTA channels at a time.
    Generally the mount will need to be replaced. There have been some adapters but they cause their own problems.
    I believe DISH will install an antenna - they do a lot of side installs (such as hanging TVs, etc).

For more control over the install talk to a local retailer that does their own installs.

jw_rally likes this.
  3. rjk1977

rjk1977 New Member

Mar 7, 2020
    dish does broadcast 4k programming, buts its not as much as directv
    i switched from directv to dish and the installer used the same mounts from directv, have had no issues
    dish will install an antenna, i already had one on the house, they installed a ota adapter on the back of my hopper 3 dvr and my ota channels are in my dish guide

4. rjk1977

rjk1977 New Member

Mar 7, 2020
    also if you live the classic westerns Dish does have GRIT Tv, directv doesnt have that and also dish has encore westerns in hd

jw_rally likes this.
  5. jw_rally

jw_rally Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Ohio
    I saw that. It certainly is a bonus. DISH has Me TV as well, correct? They also have quite a few westerns.

I am concerned that it appears the RSNs aren't on DISH. I need FSN Ohio to follow MLB, NHL, and NBA - if and when they start playing.

Thanks rjk1977 and James Long for your replies and help explaining the options.

6. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Currently if you are wanting RSNs like Fox Sports Ohio and HBO+HBO Max & Cinemax then DirecTV is your only satellite option as Dish doesn't carry them due to disputes.

AZ. likes this.
  7. rjk1977

rjk1977 New Member

Mar 7, 2020
    the rsn thing will be an issue with dish

AZ. likes this.
  8. BreadDawg

BreadDawg Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Deep South
    If you are anything of a sports fan, I don’t see how you can consider Dish. It was just announced they have lost NFL Network now. Wow, what a joke.

krel likes this.
  9. jw_rally

jw_rally Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Ohio
    I have a couple of months to decide where I go if I leave DIRECTV. The NFL isn't at the top of my list of priority list when it comes to sports viewing, and my interest is declining each year. I was an NFL Sunday Ticket subscriber for about 15 years. I didn't have it last year and I didn't miss it at all.

Since there aren't any games going on now, the NFL Network has little value except for hardcore fans who want to watch replays from prior seasons. I suspect a miracle will happen and there will be an agreement between DISH and the NFL Network before the season begins (if it begins).

I also think the RSN dispute may get resolved before games begin in the other pro leagues as well. Of course, I could be wrong.

10. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    people are still waiting for HBO and CINEMAX to come back to dish. has it???

i would call both directv and dish and ask them what the full price of the packages you want would be. dish might not even be worth it when you would only be saving a few bucks a month

11. BreadDawg

BreadDawg Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Deep South
    Let me also add Dish lost FS1 for about 2 weeks during the baseball playoffs as well last October. However, the Hopper is a fine DVR and their picture quality has come a long way. The RSN’s have been gone for almost an entire year, and I don’t see why they would bring them back.

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I’d bet heavily against RSN coming back to dish.

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Are they? Those people would need to be more optimistic than the people waiting for Pac-12 to come to DIRECTV!

There is no immediate need for the Sinclair RSNs ... perhaps once sports start up people will miss them more. Otherwise most of the people who can't live without RSNs have moved on.

krel likes this.
  14. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    If there are people on Dish wanting HBO and Cinemax to return (along with the Sinclair RSNs) meanwhile people on DirecTV still holding out for Pac-12 if those people have access to a high speed broadband connection (at least 25 Mbps or higher) they would be better off doing investing in streaming and I have the perfect combo for them!
    • AT&T TV Now Max ($80/mo) + Sing TV Blue ($30/mo) w/ Total TV Deal ($20/mo) = Combined cost $130/mo
      • This gets you the best of both worlds from your favorite satellite providers in the nation Dish Network and DirecTV!
      • You get the Sinclair RSNs (Dodgers RSN if your in Cali), HBO Max and Cinemax with AT&T TV Now Max along with the classic favorites such as locals, Disney Networks (ESPN, ACC, SEC, Freeform, Disney channels) Big Ten Network and other favorites and a powerful Cloud DVR of 500 Hours.
      • With Sling TV you get the famous and elusive Pac-12 Network and beIN Sports and channels not found on AT&T TV Now Max such as A&E, AMC, BBC America, Discovery, and the all popular WE TV!
      • Act Now for this ultra low price of your favorite channels from your two favorite satellite providers but with no dishes! (*Fine print: Compatible streaming devices required HBO Max not available on Roku and Amazon Fire TV devices. NFL Network/RedZone is in dispute with Dish Network.*)

jw_rally and krel like this.
  15. rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    I hope that Dish gets a new contract for INSP that includes HD service, and INSP HD for its Sling subscribers as well.

Streaming carriers fubo and frndlyTV have the INSP channel. I tried frndlyTV which is as low as $7.99/month for cloud DVR and HD, but the app was janky and didn't categorize episodes after recording by Season or anything.

I only tried fubo for the 7 day trial and it was too short of a trial to experience it but from when I had it, fubo had a good app and has INSP (in fubo Extra add on) and getTV, and it has a number of sports channels, but without ESPN and ABC and the Disney suite of channels. fubo also doesn't have AXS TV, which was a little disappointing given that Philo and Sling have it, while fubo is much more expensive and a premium over those streaming services.

TV Land, available on Philo and Sling, has a few westerns but not as much.

With over the air, you might be able to get MeTV and Grit also depending on your location.

A Starz! subscription also will provide a library of westerns programming from Encore, including shows like The Virginian but not Bonanza. CBS All Access has the first two seasons of Gunsmoke.

As for HBO, you might be better off watching it via streaming as well, especially to get the max content for HBOMax. For HBOMax, unfortunately, it isn't available on Roku or Firestick but it will work with Apple TV and a few other devices.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    jw_rally likes this.
  16. rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    Dish and Sling have an antenna installation service
    We Tested Sling TV’s Antenna Installation Service: Here Is How It Went | Cord Cutters News

One actually doesn't need to be a customer of either Sling or Dish, but it's provided through Dish. After a phone call, I'd have to pre-pay to set up an appointment, and technician will come out. However, they provide the antenna and you can't request another one or use a Winegard or another one you purchase from elsewhere. I really wanted an antenna that supports low VHF to be installed, and unsure if the model they have will achieve that, and realized that the Dish antenna service was too inflexible for my request.

I'd suggest a local installer if you are particular.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    jw_rally likes this.
  17. jw_rally

jw_rally Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Ohio
    Thank you for your detailed and helpful responses. I appreciate everyone's input. There are so many choices available now and none of them have everything at a great price. :)

One interesting development on the fubo side is that they just signed a deal with the Disney networks yesterday, so they will be getting the ESPN networks and others - Disney Media Networks and fuboTV Announce Distribution Agreement - ESPN Press Room U.S..

18. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i was over a friends house for 3 nights. she has a hopper 3 and a joey and the one thing i noticed is the hopper rebooted 3 nights in a row between 1 am - 8am CST. this is something that i would prefer not to go through. i heard they stopped rebooting the hoppers but i guess they didn't!!! directv never reboots my genie only time that happens is when i unplug it wich is never

19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Nightly reboots (7 nights per week) is normal. You can set the time or even disable the reboot. Disabling is not recommended.

20. Abe12

Abe12 New Member

Jun 11, 2020
    I think it all comes down to sports. I live in Mpls and there is no MLB, no NBA, no NHL. That seems very strange for a major market to not have the twins or timberwolves but if you can live with that idea dish I think wins in all other categories mostly price, equipment, HD, movies.

As far as the roof, They will not put one on top of the other. In our area they left the bolt portion on the roof and really can't see that with one dish on the roof in a different {2 feet away] location.