Considering downgrade package, question on RSN fee?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mika911, Jan 29, 2018.

1. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    I have Choice Extra Classic, for $93.99 and I do not get RSN fee despite it being $7+ in my region.

Most of the year I realize I only need "Entertainment" at $67.99. $26 savings.

However, in six months if I need to go back to new "Xtra" at $94.99 according to my programming selection page, would there be another $7 RSN fee on top of that or is it included in that amount?

I was not sure why I don't get RSN fee now.

Thanks!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The RSN would be added to the package price.

3. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Thank you!! And I do not get the fee now because it is some kind of grandfathered status from before the fees were implemented?

It's not that they offset the fee or anything, I have never been billed it even though the zip code checker says my fee should be over $7.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Good question as I also have the grandfathered Choice Extra Classic for the same price and I am paying the RSN.

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Never kick a sleeping dog keep what you have

Rich likes this.
  6. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Ok, yeah I've always been a bit baffled by the fee because I've never seen it despite all the complaints about it. ha.
    Great point, but I truly don't need it most of the year (maybe sometimes all year) so $26 savings even if I end up paying $7 RSN fee someday (if I need to upgrade), is a pretty big savings.

Maybe there's something weird with my zip and I don't get RSNs despite the website tool.

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    There is no grandfathering with RSN fees. So either it’s a mistake and you are lucky or there is no fee for your location.. Where are you?

And yeah, figure out how many months you need or don’t need the other package and do the math to see if it makes sense. But also don’t forget to make sure if there is an RSN fee even on the lower package you are considering. My guess is you just don’t have an RSN fee in your market. Will be interesting to see what market you are in.

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I called a couple weeks ago for credits. I asked for the lowest package I could get that had YES. I was told I was grandfathered in and that allowed me to get YES with the Extra package and if I changed anything I'd have to pay the RSN fee. That seems to go against what I highlighted above but I was talking to a Retention CSR and I have no idea if what she told me was correct.

Rich

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    That’s the first time I have ever seen that reported.

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I was told the same thing the last time I called to get my fee reduced, I tried to go to another package then, too. Forgot about it. It was a couple years ago.

Rich