1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering Dropping Dish, What will I lose?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by geoff, Jan 31, 2011.

1. geoff

geoff AllStar

Jan 3, 2004
    I'm considering making a switch away from Dish after being a customer 10 or 11 years.

If I move to Direct TV what will I miss out on?

If I switch to Comcast what will I miss out on?

Thanks,

Geoff

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Moving to DirecTV will lose some national HD that you might find of value, like TCM, AMC and BBCA. Of course, you will pick up some sports in HD and will have the option of buying expensive other sports deals. Also, in HDDVRs, if you don't get the HR24, you'll be extremely irritated by the horrible lag of their other HDDVRs imo.

Can't tell on Comcast as each market they're in is somewhat unique. But you probably won't like their HDDVR but a true VOD kind of offsets that a bit.

3. sliderbob

sliderbob Legend

Aug 9, 2007
    Why do you want to switch? Have you seen if you can get any deals for being a long time customer? As for switching to Directv, you will lose the Superstations, which I like, external Hard Drive storage. I'm not sure if Directv has it yet. Also OTA recording.

4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    You can still get OTA recording, just need the AM21 module added to the HD DVR.

5. rtd2

rtd2 Legend

Oct 2, 2006
    Thats hard to answer! I've never had comcast but as for Dish/Dtv.....I was CLOSE to pulling the plug on Dish couple weeks ago after 12yrs. but they came through on my requested equipment upgrade (as they always have) its really hard to say changing providers always gives you HoneyMoon period (lower bill,new equipment,ect.)but one thats over ur in the same boat...just by visiting freinds and family with dtv equipment Its clear to me Dish has better equipment and cost less.
    ONLY advantage to Dtv MAY be Whole house DVR (never seen this so not sure how good it is) and obviously Dtv has NFL ticket but even as a big Football fan thats NEVER been enough for ME to switch to Dtv and now DISH has NFL Redzone which is GREAT! and affordable.....not sure by reading your post what your looking to do? (Lower bill,upgrade?) but if you've had dish 10 years customer loyalty can usually help depending on the customers account history and request/expectations and willingness to commit to 24 more months.

6. rtd2

rtd2 Legend

Oct 2, 2006

They do have Ext. HD storage. for their HD DVR's...N/A on Solo boxes like 211's can !!!

7. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    True. They do have it, but it replaces the internal drive and is locked to the HDDVR it is connected to. To me, that negates its value by quite a bit as if/when you need to swap a unit out, the recordings are all lost.

It is also eSATA vice USB which can be problematic when trying to get a unit that will actually work with the D* HDDVRs, not all will.

8. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    As lparsons said, you'll lose a lot of HD nationals with DirecTV (about 30). If you're in a big market like New York, Comcast offers a lot (145 HD channels), but elsewhere their offerings are pretty pathetic (less than 30). See THIS chart for a comparison of all three. DVR service is typically much more expensive with cable and picture quality can be horrible or very good depending on where you are. If PQ is important to you, go to a friend's house and see for yourself before you get cable.

I went through the same decision process as you a few months ago and ended up with Dish (having left DirecTV). Cable isn't even in the ballpark, in my area at least. Dish seems to be the best bang for the buck at the moment, depending on your priorities and equipment of course.

9. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    True, but you only get OTA that D* says are there, there is no scanning for channels with the AM21.

And you still can only record 2 events at any given time. It is a designed in limitation to the D* HDDVRs. I never understood the reasoning behind that design decision. When I was with D*, I started with the HR20 which had 2 SAT and 2 OTA receivers, but could only record on 2 at a time. Seemed a rather dumb way to do things then and now.

10. rtd2

rtd2 Legend

Oct 2, 2006

Oh thats some FINE print I didnt know! I Tried to explore Dtv's DVR's during visits to family and found them to be VERY SLUGGISH

11. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    The newest HR24 is pretty snappy, nearly as fast as the 722k and 612 I have.

12. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    To be honest, just throwing out you may switch, and essentially asking what's the difference isn't going to get the answer you want.

Need to know why, after 11 years you want to switch. What specifically doesn't Dish have that you want. Also need to know what about Dish you really like. I think that would better enable an answer.

13. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    to me, the OP came across as, "I am thinking about switching to something else maybe possibly, but don't want to do the research myself, so you all do it for me."
    But that's just me...

14. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    To be fair, I honestly think I could do all of the research in the world and still miss some things that you guys might consider obvious because you've had both satellite providers.

I too am trying to make the decision to change over from Dish to DirecTV. I have't pulled the plug just yet.

15. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    To be fair to both you and the OP, are you just interested in which channels you will lose and or gain? Or just the features you will lose out on and or gain? Or is it both? Need a few more specific's, to really help. For national channels here is a good starting spot, as it includes both Dish, Direct and Cable
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1058081

As for hardware features, just ask or say whats important. Others can fill in from there.

16. paja

paja Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    You have it about right. I now have Comcast and their hddvr isn't quite as good as the DISH models. However, the VOD selection is so huge that I find that I don't need to record anywhere near what I used to.They also carry sub-channels(at least in the Chicago market) and have MLB Net(which I must have).

17. bacchus101

bacchus101 AllStar

Nov 17, 2006
    I dropped Dish a couple of weeks ago (Reason: HD Locals; Sobongo/AAD was my only option for 3 of the big 4 networks in HD.)

Dish has a more functional guide (expanded) when trying to get an overview of what is on and what is upcoming. DirecTV has more program information and I prefer how you set up recordings as well as the smart search feature.

Dish has tuner swap which I find more intuitive than DirecTV's doubleplay. Dish also has PIP.

Dish has more national HD (I already miss cooking, BBCA and AMC) but at the same time I now get NESN full time and love MLBHD.

Dish has TV2 out which means with 2 DVRs you can easily view content on 4 televisions. On the downside, they nickel and dime you for everything when it comes to DVRs. DirecTV has a single flat fee.

Dish has Slingbox (which I have not tried.)
    Direct has Direct2PC, which means every computer in my house is now and extra TV with DVR access.

Dish lets you record via OTA tuners in addition to regular tuners. DirecTV does not, plus the AM21 is clunky and doesn't allow channel scanning.

DirecTV has better HD picture quality (you can actually walk right up to the screen and not see pixelation.)

DirecTV has MRV which is a major advance in DVR technologies and a huge new feature for those coming over from Dish.

DirecTV OnDemand (Cinema) is on a different level than the Dish offerings.

Dish has online chat for customer service, which I will miss.

The real key is the "Honeymoon" period. No matter what provider you are with, by switching you get a bill cut in half for a bit, new equipment, free movie channels for a few months and even after a year at worse you are just paying what you used to pay with the other provider (actually with D* I'll be paying a little less.)

Honestly, I would have stayed with Dish if it were not for the Big 4 Network HD issues I had, but now that I have switched I am a happy camper and I'll revisit the issue in two years (and by then maybe Dish will be back in the DNS business.)

18. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    MRV is a nice little feature, and would like to have it. Just not sure how often I would use it though. In our house, when somebody wants to watch a recording its normally to catch up on a series or something and they watch several episodes at one time. As every family member has either a personal 1TB or 2TB drive they just plug in the drive on the TV they want to watch it on and do so at their leisure. Just can't see giving up how the EHD option works with Dish for Directs MRV. Granted MRV is more important for Direct, as you can only record 2 shows on any one DVR, so there are lots of times you have to spread things around, to multiple DVR's, to avoid conflicts, to allow you to watch the show on the TV you wanted the show to record on. Being able to Record 4 channels at one time on either of my 722k's(two are OTA), is a huge advantage as I avoid most conflicts with less equipment, and create personal DVR's for each family member.

Dish's Dual Live Buffers and Directs Doubleplay are similar but operate very differently. Still can not understand how Direct finally came out with Doubleplay, yet forgot to add a buffer warning to the feature, to protect shows that have been paused.

As for recordings, if I recorded everything than Directs way would be really cool. But since I have as many Autotunes as I do DVR'd events, still prefer Dish's way that allows me not to have to record everything, but allows me to have the DVR tune to a show I would like to watch if I am home. Best thing is I don't have to delete a bunch of timers every time I go on vacation, to avoid recording the the 5am and 5pm News, everyday. Plus 15 other Autotunes.

Getting ready to add Dish's Sling adapter, allowing all of our Laptops to access the DVR. Family has been hounding me to do this for sometime, breaking down this week.

Were I would like to have MRV, not sure I would use is it, and paying $4 a month for it would kind of be a waste. No way could I give up, DLB, PiP, Autotunes, and having each DVR be a home and 4personal DVR's at the sametime

19. bacchus101

bacchus101 AllStar

Nov 17, 2006
    This could be useful, although in my case as I only have one OTA HD channel, it was negligible (i.e. I never had three recordings going at once on one DVR.)

I could see it making a bigger difference in a larger market where you were pulling in a variety of channels OTA.

Anyway, I had a 722 and a 722K and only the 722 had a single OTA tuner, so I only lost a single tuner in my switch, while at the same time gaining the ability to better utilize the tuners remaining.

I take advantage of MRV via the online guide, allowing me to have access to all 4 DVR tuners at all times. If I'm watching football live and recording a show in my living room and while flipping though the guide and notice something I want to record now, I just queue it up to one of the free tuners in the bedroom. Game ends and I pull it up on the living room DVR.

Or maybe I'm watching Lie to Me in the living room but getting a bit sleepy. I just go to the bedroom and watch the remainder in bed. MRV has its advantages, especially because the DVR in my bedroom with Dish was somewhat of a waste and I was recording everything twice so that I would have it in both rooms.

I never used autotune and hardly used PIP.

In the end, it depends on your viewing situation. I could see a desire for a more compartmentalized DVR setup for a large family structure. For me, I like the ability to view my content across units (as well as on my laptop) and I don't have to worry about anyone deleting my shows, etc.

20. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    For my situation, MRV is just neat technology that has no value to me. My adult son and I each have our own HDDVR and have totally different ideas on what to watch with some lapping over, but not much.

I have the 722k for my use, and I record 4 events quite often with it. It is very handy.

In order for me to have the same functionality with D* equipment as I have with the 722k+612, I'd need 3 HDDVRs and it would be a bit of a PITA to manage 2 of them in the same spot, not to mention taking up an additional HDMI connection on my AVR.