1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering DTV...questions about the 24 month deal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by WebHobbit, Oct 15, 2010.

1. WebHobbit

WebHobbit Mentor

Oct 15, 2010
    So I'm considering DTV. I currently have CATV with a TiVoHD/Cablecards. It works pretty good but I cringe when I think about adding a second TiVoHD and having to deal with the CATV cablecard install again. They don't allow selfinstall of cablecards here. LOVE my TiVo..been a TiVo user for about 10 years. A few years before that we were with DirectTV back in the old 18inch round days. I even did 20 or 30 dish installs myself (on the side not a certified tech).

I been looking at the package offers for a few weeks now and it bugs me that they are FORCING Showtime/Starz on you with every package. It's unclear on the site if you are allowed to cancel the Showtime before the 24 months are up. ???????

Also can anyone recommend GOOD installers for my area? (Evansville, Indiana)

Also is anyone installing their own HD/MRV dish setups? I'm kinda tempted even though the installs are free now. I'm really anal/picky about my cable routing so I almost hate to let anyone else do it!

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    They aren't forcing anything on you other than the abandonment (possibly temporarily) of TiVo branded technology and a 24 month programming commitment.

The Showtime/Starz thing is a 3 month freebie (made abundantly clear in the advertising) that you must remember to discontinue after the free period runs out. There is no charge for dropping them if you got them as part of a promotion. The only charge comes if you forget to drop them.

[​IMG]

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    They will actually install without Showtime and Starz if you ask.

4. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I believe the Showtime/Starz packages are freebies given to new subscribers for a limited time (they are not required).

When I went to Directv, the installer used the cables which I had installed (he ran cables from the dish to my crawlspace and connected to my cables there). You can install a multisat dish without a meter, but the alignment is somewhat tricky.

5. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Can't help you with everything, but will try to answer a couple questions. On the Showtime question, you get it free for 3 mo's and then it usually drops off. You can call to verify in 3 mo's. I've called and received Showtime free for a couple months and when the promo ends it just stops working. You can probably run your own cables and then have the installer set up the dish and activate the receivers.

6. WebHobbit

WebHobbit Mentor

Oct 15, 2010
    OK....thanks for the replies. I still disagree about the Showtime thing being "abundantly clear". Yeah it's clearly free for 3 months but what isn't clear is the monthly cost thing. Is that monthly fee INCLUDING Showtime or is it assuming you will cancel it after 3 months. In other words when I'm looking at the breakdown it increases after the 4th month. Would THAT fee be smaller than what the website shows if/when I call and kill Showtime or is that price locked in.

:confused:

7. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Welcome to DBSTalk WebHobbit. :welcome_s

You should be able to cancel or even not accept those channels if you don’t want them. You can even exclude them from a custom channel lineup so they don’t show up in the guide.

Keep in mind that DirecTV DVRs aren’t TiVo. When I first switched from a TiVo to a DirecTV branded DVR is was a little disappointed (Jan of ’07). I’m not any more. In fact I can’t see a reason to go back to TiVo. However, do yourself a favor and do a little searching on this forum (search tab above) and read up on the differences.

Mike

8. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Showtime & Stars are free for 3 mo's then the regular price. In month 4 if you keep one, its $12.99/mo, both are $24/mo. If you go to the DIRCTV website, you can price it out and see how you receive a credit for 3 mo's [link]. You don't actually have to purchase, you can just use it as a quote.

9. cjrleimer

cjrleimer Godfather

Nov 16, 2004
    There also is a refer a friend feature that saves 10 dollars a month for 10 months pm me for details.

10. WebHobbit

WebHobbit Mentor

Oct 15, 2010
    Yeah I been studying that thing for a few weeks now! I still wish that matrix would show me exactly what it would be with Showtime canceled on the 4th month. I guess I can just guess with the math.

Also can anyone confirm for me if and how much any "BS fees and taxes" are added to the monthly fee? My local CATV adds about 15 bucks worth to my bill.

11. WebHobbit

WebHobbit Mentor

Oct 15, 2010
    Yeah I know the DTV DVR 's interface isn't as wonderful as my TiVo's but I have been researching the HD DVR (specifically the HR24 series) for a while. I've read dozens of threads on this both here and on the TiVo forums. The consensus seems to be that the HR24 is the FIRST DVR that is actually better than TiVo in a number of areas and as good in MOST (other than UI) others. The appeal for me in making this move is:

1) No more Cablecard hassle
    2) No more 20 dollars a month for guide service on two TiVos
    3) DTV seems to have a MUCH more solid hope for the future than TiVo

12. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I'm trying my best to explain this and it is pretty simple. The premium channels get cheaper as you add them. So if you only keep Showtime in month 4, add $12.99 to your package price. Its that simple.

So the pricing goes like this: One premium = $12.99, except HBO is $14.99, add 2nd = $11.01, 3rd =$10, 4th=$8, 5th=$7. If you need to see it in print on the DIRECTV website, price out a package and then hover over the question mark next to "Watch More Save More".

Actually, they have added a new tab called "View Costs for 24 Mo's". Just click on that and you can see each of the 24 mo's billing. In month 4 if you keep both premiums, your price goes up $24 (actually added wrong in my prior post, but corrected it).

13. WebHobbit

WebHobbit Mentor

Oct 15, 2010
    Ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh.....I've been using the "View at 4 months, 6, 12, etc" for a while now it just wasn't clear to me if that was WITH the premium or not. I see now that it does INCLUDE that. So for example with Choice Extra I can assume that my monthly price will be what is shown (1st month $54.99-12.99=$42.00). If this is accurate (and DTV doesn't tack on 15 bucks in BS fees) then this IS cheaper than my cable bill!

If my interpretation is correct then DTV really needs to add an option to show these prices IN THE MATRIX without any Premium channels as not everyone wants/needs Premiums and this would be a BIG selling point as far as actual monthly cost.

14. robl45

robl45 Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    when I went to order, I was told twice that you couldn't refuse the 3 months free of showtime and starz, you had to take it. you know why don't you? thats because half the people will forget to cancel and they will collect extra money.

15. WebHobbit

WebHobbit Mentor

Oct 15, 2010
    Correction months 1-3 already have the -12.99...but month 4 would go from 78.99-66.00 and month 13 would go from 93.99 to only 81!

The Wife will be pleased with this development. Hopefully I am reading this thing correctly!

16. robl45

robl45 Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    what package are you getting, those numbers seem low

17. WebHobbit

WebHobbit Mentor

Oct 15, 2010
    I'm looking at ChoiceXtra with Whole Room DVR -2 HDDVRs and one HD rcvr

18. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Those numbers looks correct for the Choice Xtra with only 1 receiver. For each additional TV, add $5/mo for each additional receiver or DVR.
    So for what you just stated, it would be $55 in mo 1-3 and $79 in mo 4-12, then $94 for the remaining 12 mo's. That's if you keep Showtime & Starz. Otherwise subtract $24 from months 4 thru 24. So it would be $55 in mo 1-12, then $70 for the remaining 12 mo's. And don't forget the upfront fee of $298 for the additonal HD DVR and Receiver. (Corrected to add MRV)

Then there could be some tax, but I have a similar package and my tax is only $5.41. When I had cable, the tax/fees were more then double that amount. Over the 24 mo commitment, I saved over $500 my first year and over $250 my second year. That was due to the promo discounts, AAA discounts and also included credits for a couple referrals.

19. robl45

robl45 Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    from my figuring, what ever the standard price is for the contract, you add 20 dollars to that and that will be the full price. because 5 dollars per receiver for lease. so thats 10 dollars, plus 10 dollars for whole room dvr.

imho choice ultimate is a much better deal.

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Don't forget various taxes :)

One thing that is important to keep in mind, the 24 month commitment is on service in general. If someone signs up on the Premiere package for example, they don't have to keep that for 2 years, it can be dropped down to any available lower package. The only thing to watch out for is if a package is no longer available. Once you drop it for a cheaper or more expensive one from the current lineup, you can never go back to it (but can go to the closest equivalent.)