Considering Fios TV. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by Dad1717, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Jul 3, 2019 #1 of 13
    Dad1717

Dad1717 New Member

Jun 24, 2019
    I’ve had DTV for a long time, but I want to cut costs and bundle with the internet. In chatting with a Fios rep, I asked if programming is available in HD and if there were channels in 4K. Her response confused me:

“We do not offer HD or 4K channels. However, we offer the Fios One box to stream HD channels on 4K TV. You can watch all HD channels and with out Fios TV One boxes, but we do not stream the content in HD or 4K.”

I’m so confused.

2. Jul 3, 2019 #2 of 13
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My sister in Tampa, Fl had DirecTV and switched to Verizon FIOS. She said the picture was just as good, if not better than DirecTV and did not have the constant rain fade that she was getting down there.

Call back to them and you will most likely get another person to talk to with hopefully more information.

3. Jul 3, 2019 #3 of 13
    Dad1717

Dad1717 New Member

Jun 24, 2019
    Well, they’re already off to a slow start with reps who know nothing. Lol.

I just want a few DVRs and to bundle cable and Internet.

4. Jul 3, 2019 #4 of 13
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    DirecTV is the same when you are calling them. One time or maybe more you will get a know nothing person on the other end and once in awhile you will get a seasoned one that is very good.

5. Jul 3, 2019 #5 of 13
    Dad1717

Dad1717 New Member

Jun 24, 2019
    Totally true. It’s sad that companies like these can’t find knowledgeable employees. That’s why I’m glad I can post here.

Would anyone suggest the picture quality and service of Fios? My friends either have DTV or are cord cutters.

6. Jul 3, 2019 #6 of 13
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Dad1717 likes this.
  7. Jul 6, 2019 #7 of 13
    AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    I had it for a month....picture quality perfect....but for me slow channel changing and flipping back and forth didnt work for me....I average downloads about 25 to 30 so maybe thats the problem on my end....It always worth trying in my opinion!

8. Jul 6, 2019 #8 of 13
    Dad1717

Dad1717 New Member

Jun 24, 2019
    That sounds frustrating. I keep going back and forth between keeping DTV and going somewhere new.

9. Jul 9, 2019 #9 of 13
    APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    If you get a person who is of no use…kindly end the conversation.

After that, call back…and you should have better luck getting someone who is of use.

10. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    We have had some really excellent forum members, here, who left satellite for a cable company. It had to do with their own needs having changed. The industry has changed. And some of them posted updates. (This was around 2015 to 2017.) Verizon Fios was mentioned. And the reviews were favorable.

11. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I have used FiOS for about seven years now. HD picture quality seemed slightly better than my previous DirecTV. SD channels looked much better with FiOS. Of course the best picture I get is with OTA channels with my 45-year-old rooftop antenna.

12. Zieglermd

Zieglermd Cool Member

Mar 4, 2008
    I also changed to FiOS after 12 years or so with Directv. Overall I am very pleased with FiOS in the equipment and picture quality. As bill mentioned, the SD channels are much better than Directv, but for me, I would give a slight edge to Directv in picture quality for the HD channels. Not enough that would make me want to change back just for that. The biggest reason for my switch was cost. My bill with FiOS triple play is cheaper than just my Directv bill for basically the same channels. Couldn't justify the price difference.

As for HD, yes FiOS does have HD channels (not sure about 4K as I don't have a 4k tv). While I like the setup that Directv has better (if I enter 501, I would get the HD version instead of the SD version), there is a setting in the FiOS box that if you select a SD channel and an HD version exists, it will tune to the HD channel. The guide is okay, nothing to rave about and the DVR works. My biggest complaint would be the streaming services. While I don't stream much, I know with the Directv app, my kids could choose the cooking channel and then all the programs were listed there. For FiOS, in their app, when the kids selected the cooking channel, only a few programs were listed. I needed to download the cooking channel app and provide my FiOS credentials for the kids to be able to watch shows that were not on the FiOS app.

Sorry for the ramble, hope it helps.

13. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    It's been a real long time since I've been on this forum, but this is one I can answer. I have the FiOS One DVR, and 2 minis. First, as for HD channels... yikes... if the rep told you that, no wonder you're confused :). Yes, there are a bunch of HD channels. There have been for ages. HD is the reason I left DirecTV for FiOS way back in 2007. They have been migrating many to MPEG4 to open up space, and it seems that that move has been accelerating lately.

As for 4k, again, yes, the FiOS One supports 4k. I don't yet have a 4k TV, so I haven't been able to take advantage of any of that, so I can't speak to it directly. I can just relay what I've read elsewhere - they don't have any dedicated 4k linear channels yet, but they do show some events in 4k (some of the Women's WC matches, e.g.), and they do now offer 4k VOD. From what I've read, you won't actually see the 4k offerings unless you're connected to a 4k TV - and sure enough... they don't show up for me. Which means that I can't really give you an indication of how many such feeds they provide.

I upgraded to the FiOS One a couple months ago, and have been really pleased with it. The boxes are tiny (including the DVR) and the response time, especially on the DVR, is about as instantaneous as I've ever experienced. It's just lightening fast. The only lag I see - when accessing recorded content from the minis, you see a tiny lag when hitting any trick play options (and when connected wirelessly, which is how I have one of my two minis connected, the lag is slightly longer). But for things like channel changes... guide scrolling... all of that... just as fast as it is on the DVR. The minis (like most such set-ups these days) use tuners on the DVR for programming. And each DVR supports up to 6 recordings (although you have to get the enhanced DVR option for them to turn that on... otherwise, you get the standard two). You can pair two FiOS Ones to get 12 recordings at the same time, if you want.

The connections on the set-up allow for moca, ethernet, or wireless on the minis, although the DVR has to be connected via coax. The remotes are blu tooth, and support voice commands. I wasn't really sold on the whole voice remote thing, and I should probably use it more, but it works amazingly well. The boxes will support either blu tooth or IR, though, and some folks prefer to use the standard (non voice) remote on the new boxes because they like the additional buttons (the newer remotes are pretty skinnied down).

In terms of PQ, unfortunately Verizon went the way of many cable companies and started compressing feeds. Which is unfortunate. VOD is via IP, though, and those feeds show up cleaner. And to be honest, I've seen a marked improvement in PQ over the last 2 years. It's not that the PQ is bad... it's not... it's just not where it was 10 years ago. It's on par with other services I've seen - including DirecTV's feeds.