Considering Suspending My Directv Service

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DirectMan, Apr 22, 2020.

1. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    I am thinking about suspending my Directv service until the fall when hopefully live sports will be back. I am at about $120 / month all in with my Choice Xtra Classic, 4 receivers and a $45 / month loyalty rebate. We are not watching TV as it is and I have my locals from OTA and an antenna. It is the perfect time to try streaming such as YouTube TV at about $50 / month.

Q1 - Is there a maintenance charge from Directv and for how long can you suspend service?

Q2 - Does your Loyalty discount continue when you restart or does it decline every month you are in suspension?

Q3 - Can you still watch your recorded shows while in suspension?

Q4 - Will my DVR still record OTA shows through my LCC after suspension?

Thanks for any guidance available I think there are others in the same situation as me.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Your DIRECTV account must have a zero balance before you can suspend. Customers cannot exceed 6 months of suspended service within a 12 month period. Suspending your service will extend your service agreement by the amount of time your service is on hold. Time on recurring or promotional credits will continue to run during the suspension. A fee of up to $7.00 a month is applied to suspended accounts.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Q3 - Typically if you disconnect the coax to your DVR before you call to suspend, you should be able to watch recorded shows from that DVR (but I don't believe Whole Home works, so you'll have to watch from the DVR where the show resides). How this all works from a Genie 2, I don't know.

jimmie57 likes this.
  4. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007

Thanks for the info. I am still under contract for a few more months so no problem about the contract being extended.

I have a problem about paying the professional sports leagues and RSN teams for a product they are not providing and the additional $10 RSN fee. They should refund the money to D* which should credit my account. The pro players are paid enough to rebate some of their salaries and that is what they do in the escrow account.

5. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    Thanks I knew about disconnecting the coax from the receiver. I am going to try an experiment to disconnect the D* coax and see if the LCC will still record OTA broadcasts.

6. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    OOOH! Great idea. Please report back, as this would be good info to have.

7. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    For #1, I'm not sure if it's an AT&T thing or maybe they don't have a system to automatically re-activate the account, but my vacation house was on suspension for almost a year before I reactivated it a couple of months ago. This was an account that had been migrated to AT&T billing before I suspended it and wasn't on DTV billing. So YMMV

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'd rather pay the monthly bill than take a chance that they can reactivate my service properly. I don't trust them.

Rich

9. dengland

dengland AllStar

Aug 26, 2006
    Ranks up there as one of the worse things I have done to allow my account to be migrated....

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Allow? Customers migrated do not get a choice.

Customers who bundled can feel some responsibility, but AT&T is migrating on their own schedule.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You didn't have a choice, did you? I didn't.

Rich

12. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    I disconnected the coax coming from the dish to the switch and was able to receive and record OTA from both my AR-21 and LCC. I realized however that the guide data for both D* and OTA is downloaded from the satellite so that if I want to keep recording OTA broadcasts going forward I will need to do manual recordings with only the time and day specified. So suspending service for a few months is very doable now when live sports are missing.

I have one more question - if I suspend service and I leave the coax connected will I be able to watch prerecorded shows and will guide data still be downloaded? I know that if I cancel service the answer is no but I am not sure about just suspension of service. Any ideas?

13. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If you suspend service and leave the coax connected your receiver will quickly get deactivated as they send that signal over the satellite. Disconnecting the coax prevents the receiver from getting that signal so it stays active for a while. The length of "a while" seems to vary widely, with some people saying the activation expires after a week or two and others reporting it takes months.

Perhaps going online to resend your authorization signal shortly before suspending will increase the time period, if it is based on a simple timeout. But no one really knows how it works, so it is all guesswork.

14. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    Neither did we and they screwed our account billing up so badly when they did migrate it, it still wasn't right 6 months later when we cancelled.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I lost at least a couple thousand dollars when my account was transitioned. And I don't seem to be able to do anything about it.

Rich

16. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008

I'm very curious how you lose money on an account transition? I have two accounts - one is new enough that it's a combined account so I get the frustration. Even just the logging in and getting to the right spot is a mind boggling nightmare.

17. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    and the reason I came here - I'm also considering suspending one of my accounts but really don't want to call them to figure out a few things.

If I have 6 months of a $40 credit left, does that go away month by month? Can I just suspend receivers instead of the whole service?

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Around late 2007-early 2008 I began buying owned HRs. 20-700s. Not sure how many I bought. At least 12. I bought them so I could legally put larger HDDs in them. I bought them intending to sell them someday and get my money back. Now, I'd sell them and use leased DVRs. Now, I can't sell them because the transitioned accounts won't recognize "owned" HRs and they can't be activated. So, I have at least 12 HRs that I could put new HDDs in and sell for somewhere between two and three thousand dollars. If they could be activated.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I should suspend my receivers but I don't want to deal with them, don't want to make the call. I feel your pain.

Rich

20. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    Ugh. I'm on an old account still and still have the same problem. If I would have gotten a $10/hr job I would be money ahead on the time I've spent on the phone trying to straighten it my owned versus leased problem. I finally just gave up.

Now that sports are defunct, my need for DTV is about zero.