1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering switching to D*TV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by aaronr121, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaronr121

aaronr121 New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Hey all. I'm considering jumping over to Direct from Dish, to get new equipment and a HD-DVR ($199 after rebate).

Is it a good time to switch over and get there HD set-up? Do they have any big plans to change anything, making the current equipment out-of-date and the only way to get more channels is to upgrade? I'm just referring to the immediate (12-16 months) future.

When I went with Dish I went with their HD package (HD reciever and DVR), but learned I could live without HD, but not with out a DVR. My contracts up and they don't seem to be offering any deals to upgrade. Called a few weeks ago and they offered a HD-DVR for $199, a huge service charge ($100+ range, can't remember the exact amount) and $10 a month off programing for 10 months. So, just might be better off jumping ship.

Any advice or things to watch out for or ask for? I'd really like to avoid a 2 year service contract, is that possible?

2. VeniceDre

VeniceDre Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    :welcome_s

Time to jump is now!

As the impending activation of satellite D10 nears, installation wait times in certain areas may get long. All current equipment offered by DirecTV will not have to get upgraded. If going with Hi-Def you'll need the 5 LNB dish and a H20 receiver or a HR20 Hi-Def DVR. The only way to avoid the 2 year contract is to buy the equipment out-right.

Contact DirecTV and see what deal they offer to switch and get back to us.

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
  4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Don't know what the satellite guys are saying, but as far as I know there's never been a better time to get into DIRECTV. Who knows what's just around the corner but we do expect a lot of new HD content very soon, we know that much.

5. jutley

jutley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    My brother who has been a die hard Dish Network fanboy for 10+ years is in a similar boat to you, but he does want HD. After seeing my HR20 in action and knowing the new satellite has launched, he is now looking serioiusly at moving.

I agree with what has been said...the time is now if you are going to do it. When the new bird goes live (hopefully in September) the demand for D*s service will jump dramatically IMHO and my guess is they won't have quite the incentive to discount their products. Take that FWIW...just my opinion.

6. Gary Toma

Gary Toma UNIX

Mar 22, 2006
    Now is the golden time to make the change. As we near September 5'th (raft of new HD channels from the new Sat) and the beginning of NFL Season - something like 96% in HD this year, the installation folks are going to be backed up.

One more thing: you'll never look back and never regret it.

7. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    I echo everyone else's sentiments. I've been with D* since 1995 and I've never been as excited as now waiting for September. Get in on one of these early deals!

8. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Couldn't agree more. In fact the last few words in my signature echo your sentiments quite well :D.

If there ever was a time to sign up for DTV the annual NFLST deal is always a good deal. But the torrent of HD on the horizon make this the best time I've seen in the 10+ years of being with DTV to sign up with them.

That said, I'd still give it 72 hours and see if the "extra special" NFLST rumor ends up being true.

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Perhaps the promotion that Scott G. is referring to is some sort of campaign to purge the system of MPEG2 HD receivers. I can't imagine how they are going to pull off ST HD any other way.

10. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    They should have quite the surplus of MEPG4 HD capacity to pull it off. I don't see a problem there. The marketing department just needs to be vewwy careful how they advertise the deal.

Even with that, I'd still bet they pull it off. MPEG2 HD is dying -- we all know it. Heck, even with the MPEG2 HD boxes and NFLST-SF they could offer a SF rebate for those customers that missed the MPEG4 conversion, or offer a sweet deal on a MPEG4 upgrade. Better yet, offer both.

I just would not want to be a DTV tech in the next few months if you don't like working long hours.

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Earl's said that NFL-ST HD will continue to be in MPEG2 for this year, but I do agree with Harsh, I don't see how D*'s going to be able to squeeze even more HD channels in this year then they had last year for NFL-ST unless even more HD channel will be shutdown on Sundays to make room.

12. SledDog

SledDog Icon

May 5, 2007
    I just switched (2 months ago) from E*.

D* equipment has away more software problems than E*'s. So be prepared for some "clunky" equipment issues. You may want to search on the HR20 and H20 to see the issues yourself.

D* has picture quality issues with both their HD and SD channels.

I switched from E* because of the new HD channels coming online. That and the cost of the HD service. I'm hoping the new satellite will cure some of the quality issues when it comes online.

I must say that the D* installer was head and shoulder above the guy that installed my E* equipment.

Just do your research and make an informed decision. Search for information on the receivers, service, CSRs, problems and advantages of D*'s service.

13. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Before you use words like ALWAYS you might want to look back and see what E* folks had to say about the 501, 6000, 811, 921 receivers, talk about software problems. The 811 which was one of the biggest POS's that I ever had the misfortune to have purchased, is what caused me to dump E*.

14. Mr-Rick

Mr-Rick Legend

Nov 30, 2004

You need to call your DISH Retailer. You can get a DISH 622 Dual tuner HD DVR with Dish antenna upgrade for $149 to $199 depending on how long you have been a customer, which programming you have, and if you pay your bill ON TIME. The charge is a one time charge for equip, dish upgrade, and INSTALL. Then you get $100 one time credit on your bill AND get $10 off a month for 10 months for another $100. Heck, it's either free or you make out by $50!

Rick
    Freedom Satellite Systems
    Cleveland, OH

15. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Of course NFLST-SF will still continue in MPEG2 this year. My point is offer more in MPEG4 than they offer in MPEG2. If a customer complains about missing a game in HD offer them an upgrade -- "simple" as that :D.

That's why the marketing department needs to be careful in how they advertise the (increased) number of HD games on NFLST-SF, they need to have a MPEG4 asterisk at the very least.... I'd have hoped they'd have updated the website weeks ago.

OTOH, I guess it is all moot until D10 is lit up. The capacity provided by D10 is the saving grace for all of the extra NFL games being distributed in HD this year. Not to mention a "few" other channels we are all waiting on...

16. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...

Sorry, don't understand your point about complaints about missing a game in HD and offering an MPEG4 upgrade. If all the games are in MPEG2 why would they miss something that requires an upgrade?

17. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Nothing to be sorry about...

My thought was for DTV to offer more HD games in MPEG4 than in MPEG2 this year. Offer the same number of HD games as last year in MPEG2. Offer the "full" HD NFLST-SF in MPEG4.

If someone calls DTV to complain a friend of theirs got a game in HD that they did not (cause their friend has a MPEG4 receiver and they don't) then DTV could offer a MPEG4 upgrade to "fully" take advantage of NFLST-SF.

Hopefully that is a bit clearer :).

18. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Clearer but not going to happen. D*'s published requirements for NFL-SF HD games is just the MPEG2 setup, the only mention of needing the MPEG4 setup would be to receive any local games vs. using OTA. They can't very well, after folks have been signing up and prepaying for the package then say you now need to upgrade your hardware to receive all the games that you thought you were going to get.

19. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    You really think DTV is just going to have all of the extra MPEG4 capacity just sitting there and not offer many extra HD NFL games in MPEG4 just because they can't in MPEG2? As long as they provide over 150 games in HD with MPEG2 they have not mis-lead anyone.

As said before -- do as they did last year in MPEG2 so promises are kept and offer *more* HD games in MPEG4.

20. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    That's exactly what I think, no 'extra' games in MPEG4. Guess we'll just have to wait another 1 1/2 months to find out who's correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.