Considering switching to dvr - some questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by retromzc, May 30, 2010.

1. retromzc

retromzc Legend

Sep 6, 2007
    Hi, I've been with Directv since 1994 and am now considering switching one of my receivers to a dvr to take advantage of vod and being able to record some shows in hd.

Here's my scenario:
    I have the 5lnb slimline dish with two cables attached, one to each receiver. I currently have two H20's one -100 and one -600 receiver. This dish is in my back yard on a pole since it's the only place I have line of sight to the sats and the two cables are buried in the back yard. As I understand it I have two options....

1. Dig another trench and bury a third cable so I'll have two cables running to the dvr or....

2. Obtain a swm (swm8?) and a power inserter and use the existing one cable for the dvr.

My question to those of you more "in the know" than I am about this. Will a Directv installer bring and install the swm and power inserter for me if I call and order and schedule through Directv or would I have to buy and install them myself and then order the dvr from Directv? I thought I remembered reading on this site that Directv will only do a swm install with a brand new installation and not with a current customer's set up. If I have to dig another trench and bury the cable then I suppose I would do it but would rather not if I could avoid it.

Is a swm and power inserter the only additional equipment I'd need to purchase if I went that route? What about bbc's?

I would appreciate any info any of you could throw my way!

Thanks!

2. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    In your case, I'd ask for a HD DVR and the whole home dvr service upgrade with internet connection.

This would get you a HD DVR to replace one of your H20s, a SWiM setup (SWiM) LNB, replace the other H20 with a H21/23/24. You would also get DoD on both boxes as well as watching your recordings on both as well.

3. trekologer

trekologer Legend

Jun 30, 2007
    My understanding is that you would likely get a SWM8 or a SWiM (integrated into LNB) installed for free if you also order the MRV service. Otherwise, you would have no need for it (your setup without a multiswitch is enough for the receivers you have or would have with just a DVR upgrade).

4. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Even if you obtained a SWM8, it requires four lines from the LNB.

If you are going to DIY, here's the best solution. Get a SWM-LNB. The current ones are 3LNB with the SWM built in. 5LNB SWM's work fine too. You then need only one line from the dish to house where you put in a 4 or 8 way splitter that you can find at home depot. The ideal brand 5-2300 mhz works just fine.

You end up with SWM-LNB>splitter>receivers.
    Theres a Power insertor that powers the SWM-LNB that can be located at any receiver.

The SWM-LNB feeds up to eight tuners off one line. You'll love it.

Or as the other posts states let Directv do it all by ordering the HD-DVR, ordering the whole home DVR service and getting the H20's changed out. Not sure what this will end up costing you but that's the other choice.

5. retromzc

retromzc Legend

Sep 6, 2007
    Thanks for the rapid responses. I knew I could count on the folks here for some great and timely info.

Thanks!