Considering upgrade or possibly leaving E*

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by dragonfly, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    I currently have a Dish 500 with a 921 and 2 721's. We have America's 120 and the HD pack. Our bill is around $95 per month. Even though we are in Minneapolis we can't get consistent OTA HD. We also suffer from severe rain fade every time there are storms within 30 miles of us. We missed the last 20 minutes of 24 the other week because Dish cut out for over an hour due to rain. My husband was extremely ticked off.

I am thinking about upgrading one of the 721's to a 622. We have 2 HD TV's so I would want to keep the 921. I also don't want my bill to go through the roof, but I would pay a little more for HD locals and service that doesn't cut out when it rains.

If I upgrade to the 622, would getting the Dish 1000 help the rain fade? Also, how much can I expect to see my bill go up? Is there an advantage to getting their Platinum package over the Gold? I have always bought vs rented. Are there any advantages to buying the 622 over the lease deal.

If I can't get decent service without a huge increase in price, I may have to consider going with another provider even though I have been with E* for 6 years.

2. Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber Banned User

Jan 4, 2006
    I think you have an issue with the installation of your dish antenna, and not a problem with the equipment itself. Changing out equipment is solving the wrong problem.

3. dougmcbride

dougmcbride AllStar

Apr 17, 2005
    Can you check the signal levels on your receivers from the satellites and list them here? You may need to have your dish re-aligned. A properly aligned dish will rarely lose signal for any period of time unless you are in the middle of a severe thunderstorm.

Doug

4. Rick_R

Rick_R Legend

Sep 1, 2004
    Simi Valley, CA
    I had problems with rain fade. After 4 years I went out and reaimed my Dish 500 myself and it took about an hour. I went from 50% on my worst transponder to 85% on the worst transponder. (And from 90% on the best transponder to 140%) In the 1 year and 9 months since I reaimed my dish I have lost signal due to rain fade for a total of 20 minutes. This period included the second worst rainfal year in the history of Southern California.

I recently got the Dish 1000 and a 622 and have not had the opportunity to determine its rain fade resistence.

When I got the Dish 1000 and a 622 and I went from the AT120/HD Pac/Voom to the HD Silver my bill went up $10.99. $5.00 for the HD Silver increase over the previous AT120/HD Pac/Voom and $5.99 for the DVR service fee.

Rick R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.