1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering upgrade to Hopper 2

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by hasbeen29650, Aug 1, 2013.

1. hasbeen29650

hasbeen29650 Cool Member

Mar 25, 2012
    I have two hoppers now plus two joeys. One has an old sling adapter attached. I am considering upgrading one to a Hopper 2 because I would like to have access to download some of my recording to my iPad for when we are traveling. We have a bunch of cruises planned and so normal sling operation is not an option.

Anyway a couple of questions:

1. The Hopper 2 webpage implies there are some restrictions to what can be transferred to an iPad. What are they? Do they create issues?

2. I know I can access things recorded on one hopper from the other one, can I also use the Hopper 2 to transfer to an iPad a show recorded on the other hopper(a hopper 1)?

3. I know when they first came out, Dish was charging $200 to upgrade from a Hopper 1 to a Hopper 2. Is that still the case?

Thanks.

2. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I answered what I could.

3. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    I just upgraded both my original hoppers to HWS for no cost. The HWS were UPS to me with a mailing label to return the original Hoppers. Used DIRT to set it up and easy squeezy lemon peazey. Also I did not lose my grandfathered equipment fees. I have heard of people not qualifying for this so I suggest check with a DIRT rep ASAP.

4. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    Why not just get a Sling adapter for your Hopper? I use one on mine and it works just fine for remote streaming.

5. TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 5, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    The other two were answered, so I will clarify this. Anything recorded on the HWS can be transferred to the iPad, however with any form of DRM, there are restrictions on how many times a show can be recorded or stored on any media device. There are some shows that can only be transferred once. So for example you recording something on X channel, when transferring it it will warn you this will delete the show from the receiver.

6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    The OP indicated that he wanted to transfer video to his iPad. You cannot do this without a Hopper w/Sling.

Remote streaming works well IF you have enough upstream bandwidth from your home, many if not most of us don't.

7. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    Yeah I tried to sling an HD Baseball game yesterday to my iphone and got a warning that I did not have fast enough connection to my HWS to get High quality broadcast. Low quality was fine for my phone, but I would think it wouldn't look good on a big monitor.