1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering upgrading to the HS17 after getting 4K TV. Is the HS17 stable?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by edster, May 23, 2018.

1. edster

edster New Member

Feb 11, 2006
    Current configuration HR44, HR23, C41 and wireless bridge. Lost whole home on the HR44 being able to view the HR23's shows with the new GUI and have since purchased a new 4K TV. If I upgrade to the HS17 and replace my HR23 with a client, will the C41 wireless client work with the HS17? If not is there a wireless client yet for the HS17? Also, Is the HS17 in a stable enough state right now to upgrade to? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Some folks have lots of problems and some folks have none- So Do you feel lucky?

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would take if it would be free upgrade ... two 4k streams ...

4. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    Similar to what I had (HR44, HR24 and two wireless minis) before moving to the HS17. Current config is two C61Ks and I kept the two wireless minis.

No complaints here at all that I wouldn't have with the old config. The 4K picture is stunning, but you should be aware that everything goes through clients. The HS17 is a headless server and the 4K requires a wired connection.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Good one!

Rich

WestDC likes this.
  6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I would wait. Search the DirecTV Forum at AT&T's site and you'll see LOTS of folks still have HS17 issues. HR54 is more reliable. And remember, if you get an HS17 you can ONLY have Genie Clients in other rooms.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The C41W clients do work with the HS17. You will need a C61K client for 4K.

I've been using an HS17 for some time now, and I have no complaints. I have also used, and am familiar with the HR2x series, HR34, HR44 and HR54, so am able to compare between all. So my personal opinion is, go for the HS17.

In light of the suggestion by litzdog911 (to wait, and whose opinion I respect), I would say this: If you expect to have more than one 4K television near term, the HS17 is your only choice. If you do not expect to add a second 4K television for a couple of years, then the HR54 will serve you well and you would be eligible for another upgrade then.

MysteryMan and Wolfmanjohn like this.
  8. TermiNader

TermiNader DIRECTV since 1997

Jul 10, 2007
    HS17 for almost a year. Flawless, uptime 99.99999999999999%. Love it!!

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    99.9999968290208% is one second per year. :)

TermiNader likes this.
  10. jpenneck

jpenneck Mentor

Oct 19, 2007
    Seems very unlikely. I've only had my HS-17 for 6 months and have had to reboot it 2-3 times by yanking the power cable. It is normally displaying flashing red lights instead of the green ones when I have had to do it, which I think indicates a failed software update.

The most annoying thing has been the picture freezing randomly for a fraction of a second or the TV screen flashing to black for a split second. The C61K units are Ok, but still slower than using a dedicated unit like the HR44 or HR54. Overall, I've been disappointed with the upgrade.

11. TermiNader

Jul 10, 2007
    Sorry to hear about your experience. Mine has been extremely good.

I previously had three DVRs. What I enjoy about the centralized HS17 is that I can centrally control what is being recorded in my house among four people. I can access the recording management from any TV location. With the three DVRs, I had to manage recordings on each DVR which was annoying.

12. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I've had my HS17 and using it with C61K's and wireless mini's and no complaints that are specific to that configuration (aka not happy with parts of the UI and operation no matter which hardware being used) for over a year. Before I had three Genie's (yea I was one of those folks) and the HS17 was stable enough to drop all those other Genie's and go with just the HS17.

TermiNader likes this.
  13. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I think this is good advice. If only 1, 4K TV for the next 2 years, get the HR54.
    Then in two years when you get a free upgrade, maybe something new will come along. Seems like new boxes show up about every 18-30 months. Historically speaking.

The HS17 is the first of it's kind, so whatever comes next could build on that.

TermiNader likes this.
  14. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn AllStar

Jan 11, 2006
    Colorado
    OMG I'm having a heck of a time finding a DirecTV rep who can set me up with an HR54 and C61K to replace an HR34 and HR24 - at a reasonable price! 3 reps could only set me up with an HS17 - they had no idea how to set me up with an HR54. The 4th figured that out but wanted $450 for the boxes and a tech install and wouldn't budge on the price.
    I can't remember the last time I got a new box - and that was just a Genie Mini to replace a failed HR24 years ago - so I should be eligible for some good discounts. Unless they count the install I had at my new house 14 months ago??
    Less then 2 weeks before the World Cup starts when I want to have this done by.

15. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    The new install probably reset your contract for 2 years.
    Now if you HR34 died and it needed replacement, you would get an HR44 or 54. Not sure how to deal with a specific one.

Did you try calling Solid Signal? They are an authorized dealer and can access your account. Maybe even ship without an installer.

16. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    I feel your pain. I went through almost the same thing over the last couple weeks. At some points it was infuriating dealing with DirecTV and how they wanted to charge me. I did get to a number of CSRs that really tried to help but ATT's system software ties their hands. One is that the system software will not let them send you a HR54 and CK61k; they have to have someone come out to hook it up. Silly. In any event, I eventually found a phone number where I got some real help and a CSR that got it done. Use this phone number - it will get you to a live person (maybe a minute or two wait) who is located in the US and is further up the customer loyalty line. 877.664.7161 Mon to Sat 8 am to 9 pm CT. I was able to get a HR54 brought out to my house by the installer dude, who had to hook it up where my HR44 had been located, the next day at no charge. Although I already had a CK61K I picked up on Amazon, the installer's work order required him to put in a new CK61k, which was fine with me since I was still within the return window for Amazon. Hope that helps. Good luck.

TermiNader, Rob Dawn and jimmie57 like this.
  17. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I've had an HS17 for quite a while, and I much prefer it to having 3 HD DVRs. No stability issues. VOD is very fast and I really like the new GUI.

TermiNader likes this.
  18. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Tell them your HR34 is dead and you want to keep the HR24, and you want 4k. That should get you an HR54 and the C61k. You can return the HR24 at a later date if you wish.

19. riprecked

riprecked Mentor

Oct 11, 2009
    What is the best way to get the HS17? My HR44 is 4 years old, I bought it from Solid Signal. Not sure if I can just buy the HS17 and clients from Solid Signal or if I need D* to install it? Wish I could get d* to upgrade it.

20. TermiNader

Jul 10, 2007
    If you are out of contract, DirecTV should upgrade you for free.