Consolidating EHD programs

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by GXM-Gary, Feb 11, 2019.

1. GXM-Gary

GXM-Gary New Member

Feb 11, 2019
    Back when I had 2 VIP622 boxes, I had a 500 GB EHD connected to each one. They each have about 200 gig of programming on them, much of which I would like to save. On my Hopper, I setup a new 2 TB hard drive and it works fine. I can plug in the old drives and see the programs, but there are a few glitches with the artwork, but for the most part, they will play. But when I tried to transfer back in to the internal drive, it messed up worse and scrambled titles on a few shows, so I stopped transferring. I accidentally discovered that I could see 2 drives at once in the Hopper, but it would not allow a direct transfer between the drives, only to/from the internal drive. And 2 drives is certainly not stable, and one will vanish after a few hours or so.

I do have the ability to read and write EXT2 Linux format drives and I can see the data on the Dish formatted EHD's. It is a series of encrypted files with just uuid style alphanumeric file names, and the files dates and sizes do not make any sense at all. I was hoping I could just copy all of the files from the two 500 gig drives onto my new 2 TB drive and see all my old movies, sports, and shows in one place. Has anyone tried this? Is there any issue with pushing the files from 2 drives, or in my case 3 drives all onto one drive?

I figure, as long as I only read from the drives, I should not lose any of the original data. So I may just go ahead and try this, but I do not want to lose anything off of the new 2 TB drive either, so I may have to start with another fresh blank drive. Let the Hopper format it, then copy over some files and see what it can see, or if it throws some odd errors.

I am not trying to make copies for others, I know they will still only play back through my account Hopper and Joys. And once I have all the data onto a single larger drive, I will reformat the old 500 gig ones so I do not have "copies" once I know the new drive plays fine.

Also, while we are here, what is the largest drives people have been able to make work on the Hopper with Sling or Hopper3?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    [As usual... new member here who rush to ask, instead of search and read] you are missed the info from old posts here, duh ! ;)

OK. Here is short run down: each event on the EHD stored in one self-contained folder; some short metadata file in the folder contain the ch name/ch number[binary] and a description what could be easily seen by Notepad or any text viewer; so just copy folder by folder and you'll be golden :)

3. GXM-Gary

GXM-Gary New Member

Feb 11, 2019
    I did try searching for the info but I could not find what i was looking for. if you have any particular threads I should look for, I would appriciate it. Thanks

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It was long time ago …
    Anyway: from root -> "DishArc "main folder-> each "^&%$&" subfolder is one recorded event.
    If you'll need readable info from metadata, PM me.