1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contemplating bill reduction from grandfathered plan

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Medwynd, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Jul 3, 2017 #1 of 11
    Medwynd

Medwynd New Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Currently I am on a discontinued Choice Xtra Classic for 89 a month. But the addons for the 3 extra receivers, hd, and dvr, and whole home add up to another 44$ bringing the total to 133 a month.

I also have some misc discounts, 20 off a month for 12 months, which I just got, and the 25 off att unlimited discount for life.

I was looking at their new packages and the equivalent is the xtra all included plan at 124$ (70 for the first 12 mths) and I only lose 3 or 4 channels that wont be missed.

I currently have 3 hr24s and and hr34 genie.

Switching to the new plan would give me free sunday ticket this year as well. Including discounts I would be looking at 25$ for the next 12 on the new plan vs 88$ staying with my current old plan.

Switching to the xtra all included would save me only 9 bucks a month, after the 20 off 12 discount expires, assuming just the att discount and keeping the current hardware @ 107.99 vs 99.

Thoughts on switching or just stay with what I have?

2. Jul 3, 2017 #2 of 11
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I could be wrong but the new all included plans are for NEW customers only.

DishCSR likes this.
  3. Jul 3, 2017 #3 of 11
    Medwynd

Medwynd New Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Since I am out of contract they have let me sign on to new customer plans before as long as I went on contract. It may be a bit YMMV depending on the rep you get on the phone.

4. Jul 3, 2017 #4 of 11
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The discount well isn't bottomless. There will come a time when you will have to choose between paying for what you use or tightening your belt.

5. Jul 3, 2017 #5 of 11
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Keep what you have

6. Jul 3, 2017 #6 of 11
    DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    No, you are 100% correct, that's a new customer only plan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

7. Jul 3, 2017 #7 of 11
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    No they do not. Out of contract and new customer are two different things

DishCSR likes this.
  8. Jul 4, 2017 #8 of 11
    RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    TRY IT, The worst they could do is say no and raise your rates.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  9. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    If you get all those offers and discounts, which I believe are only for new customers, switching to a lower plan could lead to a charge for HD. I had that grandfathered plan, and when I switched to the select plan, getting rid of sports channels I never watched, they hit me with a ten dollar charge for HD which I never paid before. My bill still went down, but in your case, it might cost you more. Check it out closely before you switch.

10. philtec

philtec Cool Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Phila PA
    I do believe they charge you $10 to downgrade your package in order to persuade you not to.

11. techguy88

techguy88 Member

Mar 19, 2015
    West Virginia
    They removed that from the customer agreement. AT&T also removed the $10 downgrade charge if you remove premium channels within the first 30 days of adding them.

Existing customers can't switch to the new All Included plans they are for new customers only. No CSR even loyalty has the ability to switch you to the All Included (I've asked several loyalty agents I know personally to be sure)

Even loyalty agents I know say stay on the itemized bill. If the need ever arises that you only need 1 HD-DVR (for sake of discussion lets say the HR34) the with your current setup the price of Choice Xtra Classic ($88.99) + HD-DVR & WH-DVR ($23.00) would be $111.99/mo.

If you had Xtra All Included with only a HR34 then your bill would still be $124.00 even if you don't have a total of 4 receivers.

Also there would be no way a customer could get the Xtra All Included @ $25/mo. New customers would get the $70 promo rate then minus $25 discount for Unlimited Plus equaling $45/mo for Xtra All Included.

I think you may have had the "Free HD Access for life" promo as long as you didn't downgrade below a certain package. From what I've read on the webs the minimal package varies but Select and Entertainment (and in some cases Choice) will knock you out of that promo once you downgrade and can't get the discount back even if you upgrade back to a qualifying package (like Ultimate).