1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Continued Audio 'Stuttering' on OTA HD with AM21

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by luv2fly3, Aug 27, 2009.

1. luv2fly3

luv2fly3 AllStar

Sep 18, 2006
    I'm just wondering (after searching and not finding any definitive solutions) if anyone has any suggestions to try and rectify audio stuttering on OTA HD feeds through an AM21? I have had two different AM21's hooked up to my HR22 and both have the trouble. I have NO trouble on HD channels on the DTV signal, just the OTA feeds. I have anywhere between 80%-100% signal on every local channel and have zero trouble on any of the digital tuners I have in my other TV's or converter boxes. So I know it's the DTV setup I have in place.

I've read that others have found the same trouble on their systems, and just wondered if anyone has any more ideas? I've tried a different USB cable, moving the AM21 to help maybe keep it cooler, unplugging the AM21 while on and nothing has worked. I still get stuttering.

Customer service is no help and wouldn't even send me a replacement AM21 to try until I had a tech come out and we both dealt with 10 different reps to finally go to retention and have to threaten to disconnect service. All of that even though my AM21 is 7 days old, and I have the protection plan.

So now I'm stuck and frustrated! :bang Thanks for any ideas!!

2. videojanitor

videojanitor DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 8, 2006
    I presume you are talking about the stuttering that occurs when you are viewing programs "live?" If so, the solution that seems to work for me is to simply pause the DVR for a couple of seconds, and then put it back in play. If you are referring to something else, then disregard ...

3. luv2fly3

luv2fly3 AllStar

Sep 18, 2006
    It is typically during "live" programs yes. I'll have to try that approach. Good idea, and yet so simple.

4. jaguar325

jaguar325 Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    If you only have an occasional stuttering problem, the fix of pausing it long enough to play it back off a recording (instead of live) is probably good enough. However, having been through a very frustrating situation with an HR21 about 6 months ago, my advice would be to monitor for other symptoms. In my case, it was the stuttering, accompanied by short bursts of frozen video.. at it's peak, this meant frequent reboots.

There are many posts about this on the forum with lots of different ideas about what the problem really was. I basically concluded the hard drive was failing and decided to replace the unit after trying a partial reload and a full system reload (there are posts on how to do this). Both options were a waste of time for me. D* replaced my machine with an HR22 for nothing (including a tech who brought a new one to my house). I have had zero problems with the HR22 other than the IR seems to be weak so I use RF, which seems to be much better on this DVR.

Good luck!

5. videojanitor

Oct 8, 2006
    That's always good advice, but in this case, from what was described, it sounds like the widely known problem with the AM21. I have the exact same problem, but it only happens when using the AM21 -- never with satellite sources. The AM21 also has another nasty problem for a lot of people (me included), where it causes a massive amount of breakup anytime there is a transition to black (such as at the end of the program segment, before the commercials). I have pretty much concluded that the AM21 is a pile of junk.

6. luv2fly3

luv2fly3 AllStar

Sep 18, 2006
    That's what I'm afraid of! :( Considering I have no other way to watch the local HD's via OTA and be able to DVR them, it's pretty frusterating. I did try simply playing behind the live feed by pausing and waiting a few seconds and it did seem to be a bit better. I guess I'll hope that may be a small work around. But I have to agree, the AM21 isn't impressing me much! :mad:

7. videojanitor

Oct 8, 2006
    Frustrating indeed. Fortunately, I still have an HR20 as well, and the built-in OTA tuner in that works just fine.

There is a good thread here regarding some of the problems with the AM21:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=154112

Sadly, it doesn't appear that any effort is going to be spent to fix these problems.

8. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    The similar problem I have been having with OTA on ALL my HR20's (no AM21 needed for OTA) is that if I am watching OTA REAL-TIME PROGRAMMING (not from the buffer) it is perfect. As soon as I hit PAUSE (which puts me into WATCHING the HR buffer) OR if I watch an OTA show that was previously recorded I get sporadic and annoying audio stuttering and pixelization. If I "catch up" and am back to real-time it's fine again.

This only happens on OTA, sat is fine. All OTA sigs are 90-100% (I'm less then 20 miles LOS from the Empire State Bldg).

Only OTA. Sat is perfect. This has been driving me crazy for months. It can't be the hard-drive because SAT is fine when buffered or played back.

9. luv2fly3

luv2fly3 AllStar

Sep 18, 2006
    I experienced that exact issue yesterday too now. So I guess we're just out of luck till the local HD feeds are fed from the DTV signal. I have no idea why our locals aren't yet, but hopefully that will happen sometime in the future and the AM21 won't be needed. Till then...I don't gather DTV is going to be putting any effort into correcting this problem.:mad:

10. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I've been trying but can't seem to duplicate this on my 3 HR21-100 units with am21's attached.
    while I don't see how it matters, I am on swm-8 setup.
    due to transmitter locations I am using a rotor and due to multiple splits I am using powered distribution amp. but with your signals I don't think that would matter either.

do wonder if you are getting some multipathing issues possibly.

11. luv2fly3

luv2fly3 AllStar

Sep 18, 2006
    I would think that too, except I have zero trouble on the other HD tuners in my house, both in the TV internally and some converter boxes. Those work flawlessly. I am not using an SWM setup, but like you said, I wouldn't think that would affect it.

12. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    iirc most internal tuners handled multipathing better than am21, but since I never had issues with that I never really looked into it.
    I think, buried in some topics in install forum, are some tips about using filters.

that may help, but I cannot say for sure.
    fwiw I am able to get stations ~100 miles away as well as ones close by using rotator. possibly the antenna design helps make sure I don't see am21 issues you do? again, I'm not sure.
    sorry I could not help more.

13. dtrumbo

dtrumbo New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Sorry to resurrect the old thread, but I am having this problem also. At first I thought the problem was with the actual AM21 and got a replacement from where I purchased it. Now that the second one does the same thing, and after reading this thread, I think the problem is actually in the DVR, not the AM21. I had the problem just now and pausing the DVR, letting it buffer a little bit, and resuming play fixed the problem immediately. A hassle, and certainly not right, but I'm also not holding my breath for DirecTV to fix it. If for no other reason, DirecTV has no incentive to fix it because they want you to get your locals from them, not OTA for free. I happily reminded them that they don't offer the locals sub-channels which I actually enjoy being able to receive. O.k. enough whining. I guess I'll learn to live with it and the 'fix' by pausing and un-pausing. Thanks for allowing me to confirm my problem with you all and that it wasn't "just me".