Contract Ending....what should I expect/ask for when I call??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by skizer, Jul 31, 2014.

1. skizer

skizer AllStar

May 16, 2004
    Thought you all might be able to offer some insight....my contract is ending today, thanks to a 1 year extension from free ST last year. Other than the DTV commercials, I dont pay attention to what the current boxes and such are on a regular basis.

I've been with them for a little over 5 years....and have the following set up.

3 HD DVRs (not sure of the models) -- 1 is an original 5 year old box, 1 is 2 years old (it's an HR24) and one is somewhere in between age wise as it replaced a box that died. We also have one non-DVR (5 years old). We also added Whole Home about a year ago -- and it's working well.

Here my issue...Made a call a couple of weeks ago about 2014 ST -- and was offered it for free with a contract extension...not a bad offer (and similar to what I did last year). However....My 5 year old HD DVR is getting rather laggy and the other DVR that had been replaced a few years ago also has a few issues. I also have a child that wants a TV in his room...and currently have no receiver to hook up to it.

So....if I were to get more / new equipment...what would you suggest? There's only 4 people in the house (2 adults/2 kids) and with WHDVR don't really run into much in the way of recording conflicts as we have 3 DVRs so combined we can record 6 shows if necessary (which it never really is).

If I were to get a Genie DVR, what model receiver would I want...and what would I need to set up service in my childs room? Is a Genie even the best option if I am already using WHDVR?

Thanks for any input!!

2. ladannen

ladannen Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    I'd say your chances of getting a free Genie being out-of-contract is pretty good.
    If I were you, I would get that free Genie if available (please note it will trigger a new two year contract). Have it installed in your main viewing area, then move the HD DVR the Genie replaces to your kid's room.
    This setup will mean you will have 11 tuners in use, so a Directv tech install will probably be needed to replace some of your main connection hardware.

3. desalvsj

desalvsj New Member

May 15, 2008
    What do you think chances are of getting free ST and Genie with 2 year contract?

Steve

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Probably slim, but it never hurts to ask.

5. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I don't want to burst your bubble here but you may or may not get a free Genie, You'll probably get credits on your bill though, It all depends who you talk, but a free upgrade would be more likely to get from retention dept, though CSR's can do it also, but again it all depends on who you talk to since every CSR is different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

6. djmaxwell

djmaxwell Cool Member

Jun 24, 2010
    I just got a free Genie and $25 / month credit for 12 months. I've never paid for any of my HDDVRs

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Get a Genie fir the LR, a mini for the MB and keep 2 HDDVR for the kids. This way they record their own stuff and would not be taking tuners from the Genie

8. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Menu/Setting & Help/Settings/Info & Test or hold down the INFO button and Receiver: will tell you what model the box is.

Whatever you do, do not fall for DirecTV sales pitch to replace all your DVRs with Genie-Minis.

9. Aug 1, 2014 #9 of 13
    Yindao

Yindao New Member

Sep 21, 2008
    I recently received a Genie, 2 wireless clients, and ST Max for $99.

Complain about lack of SEC Network and free redzone with competitors.

10. skizer

skizer AllStar

May 16, 2004
    Thanks for the input. I called today and ended up with...

1 new Genie DVR - which will be replacing an existing DVR in the living room
    1 new Genie Mini - which will be replacing an existing DVR in the master BR.
    1 new Genie Mini - for my sons room.

I will keep my 2 year old HR24 DVR that works fine as well as an existing HD (non-DVR) receiver that's used pretty much only to watch football in the basement.

I also received free Sunday Ticket and free Showtime for 3 months and will have to add 2 years to my contract.

11. canesice

canesice AllStar

Jul 10, 2009
    Similar.. replaced 3 DVRs with Genie + 2 wired clients (no cost) and ST Max for $100 ($25 for 4 months) after discounts. - Signed up for new 2 year agreement.
    Really liking the genie, and the new remotes (smaller, simpler). Only complaint on the remote is the location of the record button... But getting used to it.

12. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I would suggest the HR24 go into your sons room to keep their recordings away from the rest of the household. And vice versa.

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I second this as well