Contract extension for getting loyalty credits

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by icr2002, Feb 18, 2019.

1. icr2002

icr2002 Mentor

Feb 26, 2005
    Is this something others have had happen since ATT took over. I had no contract then got a loyalty credit on my bill and now they say I have a 2 year contract.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Did you call and ask for a credit or did it show up out of the blue? If you called then yes, strings can be attached. (See the main thread on this topic.)

3. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    If you asked for a credit and they gave you one, they should have said if there was a contract extension involved.

4. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    If they didn't tell you during the call, dispute it and tell them to pull the recording. If they don't budge, call your State attorney general.

compnurd likes this.
  5. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yup I have done this lol

6. icr2002

icr2002 Mentor

Feb 26, 2005
    i DIDNT DO IT. i USED ONE OF THEM STUPID BILL NEGOTIATING SERVICES!

7. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Did you check the "fine print" of the service?

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    From September 18th:
    I assume you have the service you used (whether TRIM or another service) permission to negotiate on your behalf?

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    How did you find out that they gave you an extension? I received a loyalty credit of $60 for 12 months back in the fall. Absolutely no mention of an extension.

10. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Well that is your own fault then

SledgeHammer likes this.
  11. codespy

codespy The Pack is getting sacked!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I got two deals back in January. One for $59 off for 12 months, came with a 12 month commitment which I agreed to. Second was for $10 off for 12 months for being on Auto-pay, which I have been on for over 10 years.

I rarely see DirecTV adding a 24 month commitment for a programming discount, it has never happened to me. Usually a 24 month commitment pertains to a truck roll for a field installed receiver. Drop shipped receivers usually only a 12 month commitment.

Rich likes this.
  12. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Two plus years ago I was offered either $50/month for a year or $30/month for two. Each came with a commitment for the time frame.

13. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Especially the part that says "This is a scam"?

raott and compnurd like this.
  14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I got two $60 Loyalty credits last year and no extension.

Rich

15. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Unfortunately this is a side effect of using a service like this. If you provide them with all the info to be authorized on your account then whatever they agreed to on your behalf your bound to.

DirecTV has always offered various loyalty offers with and without contracts. If the discount lasts 12 months then the agreement is the same length. They do have 24 month discounts available with 24 month agreements but they very rarely offer those. My mom just came off a $30/24 discount with agreement.

The trend I've noticed based on family & friends is loyalty offers from CLG has no agreements while some talk with ACE/BGI and have accepted a discount with a 12 month agreement. How did you find out about the extension?

16. cmoss5

cmoss5 1960'S NOSTALGIA

May 26, 2006
    Tucker,GA
    Well, I got a $50 credit last year for 12 months...ends this month...called to see if could get it again...nope...HOWEVER, I am getting a $15 credit for the next 24 months...got email telling me more or less being contracted for that period of time...fine by me as not going anywhere as been a customer for directv now for over 20 years...

17. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    I have gotten a few "loyalty" credits/discounts over the past years, with the most recent ones expiring last month where one was giving me my premium channels with my Premier free for 6 months as well as an additional 40.00/mo credit off my service for 12 months for simply being a "valued customer" of 20+ years. I never had to agree to a contract extension for any of them and they were always freely offered without my calling and asking. But now with the direction ATT is taking DirecTV, I already have one foot out the door and realistically don't think they can offer me a large enough of a credit/discount at this point to renew a commitment.

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What are you gonna do if dump D*? Just curious.

Rich

19. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I know you weren't asking me :), but I've got $15 rolling off April 24 which would bring me to $90 and then another $30 rolling off in Sept. I kind of priced out Dish and Cox and Cox looks like it'd be $75/mo for a 2 tuner and $85 for a 6 tuner. I've only had conflicts on a few occasions, so probably wouldn't pay $10 for that feature lol... $90 isn't a blatant rip off just a mild one, but $120 is.

If I can get it back to $75 then I'll stick around, at $90 I dunno… is it worth the hassle to jump for $180/yr? Although it'd add up over the years. Might suck it up and wait til Sept when the big boy rolls off.

I thought about going to Dish, but jumping between Dish and DirecTV seems like a huge hassle. Swapping out Dishes, or keeping a bunch of dishes on your roof, etc. Jumping between DirecTV and Cox seems a lot more straight forward.

As I've mentioned, I've got the HR24 which has the 30 second button press issue, so I wouldn't be against getting an HR54 since it's only an extra $3, but I'm scared of the 2 yr contract.

Long story short, if I jump, it'll likely be to Cox on the gamble that DirecTV will call me back since Cox has no contract.

Rich likes this.
  20. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    Still working on that. By far, the main reason I have stuck with DirecTV for all these years was the ability to use my service both at home and in the RV by simply moving a couple receivers to the RV and once at our destination, making a phone call and changing my service address to get locals wherever we were with no cost, contract renewal or hassle whatsoever. Sadly, that seems to have gone to the wayside once we are moved to the new system. It's not that ATT can't continue to do it, but they just don't want to. It's just one of at least a few other things that ATT seems to have deemed "not worth their time or effort" to continue to support.

Then when I toss in the move away from dedicated dvr's/tuners at each location to a client/server setup, the overall cost rising to almost ridiculous levels, contract commitments flying fast and free, and the mere fact of just now having to deal with ATT's inept ability to do anything right, the "value" of DirecTV for me is diminishing every day and the writing has been on the wall since ATT bought DirecTV that the time to move on is at hand. Besides, ATT has already made it clear they have no intent on continuing sat service for much longer so why not jump now vs. waiting until I am forced to and the "geek" in me (40+ year computer tech) has now been afforded a new "adventure" to sink my teeth into!

My needs are minimal in regards to sports (mostly college fb/bb) and so I have no need or desire for things like Sunday Ticket, etc. and what I watch can be found in numerous other places. I also have absolutely no need or want for UHD channels. Upconverted HD is MORE than sufficient and standard HD is also fine. We already have 150/10 internet at home as well as a rooftop antenna array (our towers are in three different directions there) that I have had for a few years now as a "rain/snow fade backup" and 20/1 DSL at our seasonal RV site as well as our Verizon hotspots while on the road in the RV so internet speed sufficient for streaming HD usually isn't a problem. So once we finalize our desired channel list, we will probably give 1 or more streaming trials for a few different services a go.

Another option is converting my Winegard Travl'er dish on the roof of the RV to Dish and subscribe to a "pay as you go" account, use streaming services to fill in any gaps in station availability. Dish even allows for me to use their smartphone app to change locals at will or use their OTA dongle to integrate it into a Hopper.

I am even taking a good hard look at Tivo's once again. I used to have a quite large (7) ReplayTV setup at home years ago. They were all connected to a stand alone DirecTV receiver or DVR and we did Whole home streaming, out of home streaming via a slingbox, and commercial skip years before it became popular. I much prefer that I control my setup and I am more than happy to go it alone and may end up with something similar to what I had years ago as well.

I think the largest hurdle for me is going to not only finding a good "unified search" app, but getting the wife's approval of whatever the end result ends up being. She is not happy either that DirecTV is systematically removing the features we found most useful and when she saw last months bill after our most recent credits fell off, well let's just say I had no issues in getting her to talk about alternatives. But then there is the scene that was created a few years ago when I had to introduce her to the RC71 Remote so it will be interesting in watching her reactions to whatever I can come up with! At least ATT doesn't run my medical insurance!! LOL.