1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contract Free... What should I do?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by thequackdaddy, Nov 18, 2009.

1. thequackdaddy

thequackdaddy New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Hi!

Here's my situation... I got home yesterday and my DirecTV system would not work. I called customer service to see what the deal is... After the typical stupid questions, (Did you reset the receiver? Did you unplug the B-Band converter? Did you rub your belly while patting your head?) the tech decided that he needed to send out a technician... for the low, low price of $45.

Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of DirecTV. Its quite expensive at about $71 + tax ... I feel like it is really only worth $50 or so...

But, I also realized that my contract expires tomorrow.

So here's my thinking... what the best deal that I could possibly squeeze out of the retention department when I call to cancel tomorrow? I figure that since I'm contract free and could just cancel DirecTV and and sign back up, I should AT LEAST get what they are offering new customers.

I am both a Costco member and have an American Express Blue Cash card. From what I can tell, that means I should be able to get the $45 service fee waived, $200 (I have a blue card from American Express), a free HD DVR upgrade, and $35 + $10 + $6 a month HD DVR service for a year. Is there anything else you think I could squeeze out of them? Considering I've paid my bill on time, in full, for 2 years, I figure that makes me a more valuable customer than someone calling for the first time.

Unless I get an amazing deal, I'm probably going to cancel. I don't watch that much television... Mainly football, but I've been going to sports bars and friends houses to do that more recently... And I didn't realize until yesteerday that I get like 10 HD channels for free OTA.

So, what should I do?

What's the best out there for someone in my boat?

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Just cancel...you don't seem to want it.

3. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    And 99.9% of the time you cant combine deals the way you're imagining.
    For example, the AmEx deal has to go through the AmEx line, it cant just be tossed in by CRG.
    Just like the AAA deal had to go through the AAA line, and Refer-a-Friend has to go through Refer-a-Friend...

But like you said, you don't watch that much TV. If you're only intention of staying with DirecTV is to 'squeeze out' some great deal then good riddance.
    And be careful how you talk to retentions, too. If you look around, you'll find stories of frustration of people who called in to threaten there service, then CRG told them to have a good day and disconnected them.
    Next thing you know they're here asking how they can get their service back.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Seems like you answered your own question. You don't think DirecTV is worth it.

5. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Go with OTA, it is no service fees, so long as you have the setup to run OTA throughout your home. I'm considering this myself. The problem I have is I have a 2 year old and a 6 year old who watch a lot of children's channels. My other options are Charter and DiSH. DiSH is more expensive for the same or similar service to what I get now and Charter is a non-starter due to issues when I built my home. OTA is looking quite good, I just need to convince mama that it is right thing to do for everyone.

6. timmmaaayyy2003

timmmaaayyy2003 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2008
    First of all, if you want to keep the service, simply call tech support and explain the situation and ask politely for them to waive the charge. You might be surprised. If you get to retention, point out what the competition in your area is offering. I never threaten to cancel. I simply do my homework first that way if it turns out that cancellation is the best choice, I'm ready with options.

7. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    What ever you decide upon, :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

8. TDTivo

TDTivo Cool Member

Nov 3, 2006
    I am A TV News Technical Director / Engineer for the Hub out of Toledo, OH. I have had Direct for more than 10 yrs. I received a notice in the mail that because of my patronage I would receive 3 or 4 mos of the games channel. My daughter wanted to play them but, she was on an old Tivo. I called "D" and they decided to replace her Tivo and 2 other mpeg 2 receivers with mpeg 4 HD receivers... Free of charge no contract extension. I am now having problems with my main 20-700, I am not willing to lose my OTA to go to the new 22-100 without an AM-21 OTA receiver. I am out of contract but, I will stay with "D" if I continue to receive OTA on my DVR. For the $$ you really can't beat the deals "D" has... specifically the Premier Pkg.

9. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008

Well the 20-700 having technical problems would not be replaced with this swap as it is already MPEG 4. If they do have to replace the unit they should ask you if you are using OTA. If you say yes they should either ship another HR 20 or provide an AM 21.

10. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Check out your local cable company, you will soon find that what you are paying is cheap. Honestly, no one is cheaper than Directv for my packages/options...not even Dish.

One route to go though is to just get basic cable and/or use OTA HD if you really only use locals most of the time and dont want to stick with DirecTV. You also could pickup something like a Media Center PC or standalone Tivo for DVR functions.

Either way, best of luck with the decision and welcome to DBSTalk!

11. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    If you try and cancel you may find out this part wasn't exactly true. :(

12. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I don't think new customer promotions are available to short term cancellations, such as yours would be. You would probably have to be out of service for at least a year in order to qualify (and maybe not even then).

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Only DIRECTV can tell you exactly what they will offer you.

14. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    It is for 72.5 markets that have moved from mpeg2/4 to mpeg4 only. The biggest key is like for like swaps. Dvr for Dvr, non-dvr for non-dvr. Replacing a non-dvr with a DVR will be considered an upgrade and trigger the commitment.

15. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    How about 3-6 months free premium services: HBO/Cinemax, Starz, Showtime? And if they won't come through, just cancel. You're in the catbird seat. Enjoy it. And, if they don't realize it, as you say, you can bide your time and wait for a good offer to new subscribers.

16. donwmack

donwmack DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 15, 2006
    RIght here
    The stuff about cutting you off is overblown. Yeah they may cut you off but they want you back!! A close friend canceled due to loss of Versus (BIG hockey fan). He switched to cast. D* has now called him 3 times so far and sent him a letter this week offering him the moon to come back. All this within 3 weeks. If you want to risk being without TV for a week or two you can save a lot. I called D* with his letter in my hand (i am past contact) and they said oh well. It was tempting to cancel, but then I would have to talk to the wife and kids for a couple weeks till it was restored