1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling the 622-Solution

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Ken Green, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken Green

Ken Green Hall Of Fame

Oct 6, 2005
    By adding this USB powered variable speed external fan, I was able to lower the operating temperature of the 622 by 29°. Based on before/after average temperature in Counters.
    I place the fan in the back-left corner where the cabinet vents are, and connected it to the rear USB port for power.
    On slow speed, the fan cannot be heard, and I'm now able to keep the 622 in the enclosed entertainment center again.
    The unit is available at many websites, I paid $12.00 + $4.00 shipping for mine.
    [​IMG]

2. Presence

Presence Godfather

Mar 14, 2004
    Those under-the-laptop fan coolers are also quite effective.

3. moman19

moman19 Icon

Oct 22, 2004
    If nothing else, it should add years to its life.

.....assuming of course, you don't toss it at a wall any time soon, in a fit of frustration.:D

4. Ken Green

Ken Green Hall Of Fame

Oct 6, 2005
    Dang Audio Drops! :lol:

5. skassan

skassan AllStar

Jan 10, 2004
    All I seem to be able to find are lighted LED fans. Can you give some specifics: manufacturer, model number, web site(s)? Thanks.

6. cpdretired

cpdretired AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 25, 2003
  7. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
  8. Ken Green

Ken Green Hall Of Fame

Oct 6, 2005
  9. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    I ordered a couple yesterday. Figured I'd put one at the bottom of my cabinet to suck air in through the speaker vents and another by my DVRs to blow the air away from them. If this works I'm going to be very very happy. I've spent the last 1+ years leaving my cabinet door open, contemplating how I want to vent this thing.

10. skassan

skassan AllStar

Jan 10, 2004
    Wow! What a difference. I'm still using my 921 (two weeks until 622 install.) I realized yesterday when I had to pull the smart card that it, too, has a USB port. It made a huge difference right away. Laying my hand on top of the unit before the fan, it was noticably hot. Now it's quite cool. Thanks for the tip.

11. boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    Okay kdg454, I got the same fan shortly after seeing this thread! My 622's are low to the floor and are not enclosed. I use it on my 921 that is enclosed in my cabinet. I keep a thermometer atop the 921. Without the fan it was getting up to about 110F now it gets up to about 90F. I actually have the fan at the cable opening in the back and it works as an exhaust. It does a very good job. Thanks for your post kdg454.

12. jmsteffen

jmsteffen Mentor

May 4, 2005
    Kind of a dumb question... but, did you aim the fan to blow at the rear of the DVR or did you use it to suck the warm air away from the unit? Also, did you mount the unit to something? thanks.

13. boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    I don't know if your question is directed specifically to me but I'll answer as best I can.

The fan is sitting on its stand in the cabinet directly behind the receiver and it is plugged into the USB port on the back of the receiver. The cable opening in the back of the cabinet is about 3 inches in diameter. I estimate that there is about 1/2 inch space between the wall cable opening and the fan. The fan is pulling the hot air from behind the receiver and blowing it out through the cable hole. The receiver is on the bottom shelf of the cabinet and there are two other shelves above that have similar cable openings in the wall. I have the shelves so they are flush against the back wall so the air that is drawn into the cabinet flows to the front of the shelves and down. The air exhausting out the back wall is warm as compared to the outer cabinet air. I run it at full speed and thankfully it is quite.

Before the fan I had to keep the door to the cabinet open. I had removed the large glass pane from the door.

14. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Thanks for the info!

Has anyone had a specific problem correct itself due to use of the fan?

TIA

15. jmsteffen

jmsteffen Mentor

May 4, 2005
    Thanks for the answer.. I like the fan idea. I've got my stuff rack mounted and I want to keep the heat generated by the 622 away from the other components also. I want to make sure that the fan doesn't rattle around on the metal shelf...

16. Joe Clark

Joe Clark Mentor

Jan 10, 2006
    Great idea, kdg454! I'll be ordering a couple of these. Thanks for the tip.

17. rdopso

rdopso Legend

Jan 26, 2004
    Great gadget -- just ordered one via the web. Thanks for the great tip.

18. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    I have 2 of these in my cabinet, but unfortunetly my cabinet doesn't have any venting in it so when I close the door it still gets too hot, even with the fans blowing full blast. I'm now trying to figure out where I want to put venting in the cabinet so that I can use the fans and close the cabinet.

I'm thinking of drilling a couple of small holes behind where I locate the fans to suck in cold air and then put a big rectanglular hole at the top of my cabinet to let the warm air vent out of the cabinet. I figure that the cool air being sucked in by the fans will force the hot air out the top. If anyone has any suggestions otherwise please feel free to let me know.

19. Powie

Powie Cool Member

Apr 8, 2006
    I have somewhat the same setup, only I didn't like the idea of powering a fan motor off of a possibly underpowered USB port. (As well as just generating more heat inside the 622). You can get a nice 1.5 Amp AC adapter for $16 (Part #: ADA-ACTOMOLEX) - It has molex connectors built in so no hacking wires.- Google Microbarn (Since this is my first post I can't post links). I also have some Antec 120mm smart cool thermally controlled fans. I found the fans for $11.78 at Provantage.

20. Ken Green

Ken Green Hall Of Fame

Oct 6, 2005
    Rob,
    Not sure if this will work in your particular cabinet. I have a friend who did just about what you're thinking of doing. He drilled a small hole in the rear, placed the first fan in the cabinet in front of the hole, facing in, to draw cool air in.
    He then cut a square in the top, slightly smaller than the fan size, and mounted the second fan inside the square, at the top, facing out, to draw the hot air out.
    The flow created also allows the first fan to draw significantly more cool air in.
    His 622 is now always cool to the touch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.