Copying/Cloninng external hard drive used with HR20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jksellman, Jan 29, 2015.

1. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    My current system:
    2 each HR20,.... with an external 2TB hard drive in a Thermaltake dock connected to one of the HR20s via esata.
    I have been running this system for over 5 years and even though it is not the newest Diretv hardware, I am happy with it.
    I have a lot of content stored on the external 2TB HDD. I am concerned that the 2TB HDD may die at some time, I was planning to make a replacement clone to replace it using an identical 2TB HDD.
    My plan is to use http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/ with 2 Themaltake docks connected via USB to copy from the HDD with the content to the New HDD. My Vaio laptop runs windows 7. I have been told this will work, but I was wondering if anyone has done this procedure successfully.
    Thank you for any information.
    sorry about the typo in the title....not way to correct/edit it....

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Stick to what is known to work. There is a lengthy thread here about copy & cloning

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

3. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    Thank you...but the link to the thread on this subject did not work.

4. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    hmmm, I did not post any links. I can't post it myself since I am mobile, but someone will post it shortly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    I only have a laptop...no esata ports.
    The drive I want to copy is external, so I do not need to take the HR20 apart.
    So....Does anyone know if what I am proposing in my original post will work?
    http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/ is the copying program I was told to use. I know that using USB will be slow.
    Thanks

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  7. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Hi
    Not to mention that the HR may die and that will take all the recordings with it.

Good Luck
    TBoneit

8. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    My HR20 should last, considering the internal hard drive is nor being used.
    If the HR20 fails for any other reason, I suspect it could be repaired.....?

9. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Of course, that depends on what fails. Hard drives can be easily replaced. Power supplies aren't too hard to find. But motherboards aren't so easy. And beside, DirecTV will replaced a defective DVR for $20, so why pay more?

10. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    my main goal is the preservation on hundreds of hours of content on my 2TB HDD.
    I do have a spare HR20 (Brand New, never used) for parts...as long as I can retain the part of my current HR20 that provides the handshake that enables me to play the content on the external HDD that is mated to my current HR20.
    I did order the cloning device from Amazon.....

11. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Unfortunately, the odds are somewhat against you since the power supply is the only thing that could fail and be replaced to retain the programs on the external drive.

I'd make a list of what's on the drive and filter it down to what can be found elsewhere or not. I recently had a TB drive that failed on a HR44. Don't get too attached to the programs.

(I've also got 2 HR20s that are still ticking and approaching 8 years old.)

12. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    I understand....there is no 100% insurance...
    the most likely failure is the hard drive...hence the plan to make a clone now. I have experienced a hard drive failure before (external) and a savvy DBStalk member helped by extracting the info from the dead HDD to a new HDD...and all was back to normal.
    I currently have the WD 2TB AV/DVR version and it seems very robust and reliable. It is approaching 5 years old...

13. ABrimberry

ABrimberry New Member

Mar 14, 2008
    I've used hard drive duplicators that don't require a computer. The latest one I've used is: StarTech.com USB 3.0 to 2.5/3.5in SATA Hard Drive Duplicator Docking Station - HDD / SSD Duplication - Standalone Hard Drive / HDD Clone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G6TG5YE

Every year or so, I backup and replace the external drives connected to my DTV receivers.

14. x88dually

x88dually New Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Dirty Jersey
    ABrimberry, does that cloner work ? An the cloned drive works with the box again ?

15. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    It should, although you can only copy "clone" to the same size partitions.

16. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    And the moment he replaces the motherboard he changes the RID and his recordings no longer work.

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Just swap the chip near smard card connector and your RID will be transferred too.

18. rtyauch301

rtyauch301 New Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Athens, AL
    as far as getting it cloned if you havnt already i just used 2 thermaltake docks and clonezilla its free pretty much did all the steps to replace my internal with a larger one except i dont have linux so i couldnt use gparted used clonezilla with usb docks worked flawlessly

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    and you (your DVR) got same old available size on new bigger drive :(