Copying content from smaller to larger hard drive without g parted

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Max Volume, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Max Volume

Max Volume New Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Have 2TB drive that is full, got new 6TB to fill. Tried cloning but could not expand sector.
    So, had dual HD dock from Amazon to load drives into.
    Original 2TB drive in bay A, attach new 6TB drive to DVR and power up to format sectors. Put source drive in A slot, target in B,(plugging in B on mine caused 4 windows to open up asking to format the drive, just shut those down)
    power up dock and plugged into USB on laptop. Installed HDCLone software basic version, open it up and go to migration tab. Click on partition clone and it will reveal the partitions on the 2 disks. HR44 has 4 partitions, think older models have 3. Anyway, on my screen the 4 partition was just 15mb of what is probably card info, no need to copy that. Select 2 on the source disc and then hit next and select 2 on target disk and next, copies quick. Do the same with sector 3, select source, next, target 3 next, copies right up. There will be some wacky option boxes to try and confuse you, just leave them as is and move on. Get to 3 and next which should be your programs and mine took about 11 hours to copy. Plugged new drive in and initially showed 100% free, but let it run for a bit and it caught up. Might have to reset receiver after a few minutes but programs will show up. Now have 70% full.
    Links to stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PTUQE4M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.miray.de/products/sat.hdclone.html

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    70% full or 70% free?

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Could you post a screenshot from the program when it show partitions of 2TB and 6TB drives ?

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    And a technical question - nowhere in a manual written about XFS support, does it means the DVR HDD doesn't employ the type of file system and perhaps switched to plain EXT4 ? Hence you saw 4 partitions ...

5. Max Volume

Max Volume New Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Oops, 70% free. Thanks!

6. Max Volume

Max Volume New Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Both are back in enclosures and difficult to get to now, but the original disk showed:
    Partition#1-unlabeled-543 GB
    Partition #2-unlabeled-16.1 GB - XFS
    Partition #3-unlabeled-1.98 TB
    Partition #4-unlabeled- 140 MB

Only difference was partition 2 on the new disk after formatting showed 60 GB-XFS. No XFS designation on the other 3 on either.

7. Max Volume

Max Volume New Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Sorry, Partition #1 is 543 MB, not gig.

8. philtec

philtec Cool Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Phila PA
  9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    for XFS partitions with RealTime [rt] extension like DTV's HDD ?

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    So, the HDclone DID NOT EXTEND part#3 [rt] ?!

11. Max Volume

Max Volume New Member

Mar 23, 2019
    It just copied the 2TB onto it without limiting the sector. The sector remained as approx 6 TB with the approx 2TB copied to it without limiting the sector to 2TB like a clone does. Left about 4TB additional space. Originally I tried just cloning the whole disk hoping I could just expand the sector. From previous posts here I knew it would be just like the original disk with a limited sector, that turned out to be impossible. No program (including the one mentioned above) would recognize the DTV file. After some research found someone that had used the HD clone to just copy each individual sector after it had been formatted by the receiver. Worked great.

12. Max Volume

Max Volume New Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Here is the post I came across that made me try that:

Google Groups

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I think you misused the word and it would be a partition.

Did you follow original advice - do init new bigger disk by the DVR ?
    So, the program did dumb copy a content of partitions unknown type to it ?
    Seems to me XFS is robust enough to withstand such crude copy …
    Personally, I would stay with Linux XFS tools !