Copying Directv programs to local PC to watch?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by GracieAllen, Jun 11, 2016.

1. GracieAllen

GracieAllen New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Minnesota
    I did a bit of rummaging around to see if there was an app somewhere that'll let me take programs from our Genie (HR44) and put them on a PC so we can watch them when we're traveling...

I can't take the Genie with us. And it's not practical to try to stream when you're using a Verizon cell phone with what they charge for data...

Eventually, I actually CALLED Directv and got a guy that stated the "I just checked and there's NO way you can copy the programs. It would be ILLEGAL FOR US TO ALLOW THAT."

SO, even though it's 2016, is there still no simple method to copy (or move) a program from a Genie to a PC so it can be watched at my convenience on the road when I don't have an Internet to stream from?

dp35654 likes this.
  2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The GenieGo did exactly what you are looking for. DIRECTV doesn't sell those right now because they are in the process of rolling out a program called DVR Mobile which will allow to to either stream shows from your DVR or transfer shows to one of your mobile devices. Those can then be watched without a network connection.

There were some restrictions though with the old GenieGo (and I don't know if the same ones will apply to the Mobile DVR). Only 5 devices, shows only remain on your device for 30 days (but you could download it again if it was still on your DVR ), and you had to be on your home network to load shows on your devices.

So patience. It is coming. And free.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    And welcome to DBS.

4. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    There are plenty of Hi-Def and Standard-Def capturing devices out there that work well. If you don't mind SD, a DVD recorder might be the simplest (but bulky) solution that I'd been using for years.

Hauppauge makes some pretty good HD capturing devices, including stand-alone boxes and PC cards. I've had pretty good luck with a couple of the PVR boxes.

dp35654 likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    DBSTalk

6. dp35654

dp35654 Member

Jun 27, 2016
    IL, Grundy...
    Wait what about take your TV anywhere?

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    What about it? See post #2, although replace "DIRECTV is in the process of releasing MobileDVR" with "DIRECTV has released MobileDVR"

To copy programs to your laptop, see post #3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. dp35654

dp35654 Member

Jun 27, 2016
    IL, Grundy...
    Not copy like put on readable writable DVD but They should be able to see what is recorded but on my tablet it says if I switch my recording to tablet I can't watch on TV then.

9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You really should rephrase your question properly.

10. dp35654

dp35654 Member

Jun 27, 2016
    IL, Grundy...
    Sorry dear kicked outta English class all of elementary school and was bouncing from Catholic 1yr.to public the next year.till Jr.high High school went too summer school but was never taught punctuation nor verbs and nouns.because my reading score in 3rd grade was 4th yr.Depaul University.But if you'd like to tutor me at this age I'm game otherwise guess you'll just have to except me the way God does.Thanks Deb

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Don't care about punctuation or otherwise. But your question makes no sense. I have no idea what is that you want to do.