Cord Cutting Nearly Doubled in 2018

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bobcnn, Mar 6, 2019.

1. bobcnn

bobcnn Mentor

Nov 10, 2007
  2. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    I believe for the most part that people are trying to save money on their television provider bills. So cord cutting has ramped up the last two years. There is a concerted effort by numerous articles and a dedicated website aiding in this effort. I see an article once a month on my Google News page and many tech web sites about cord cutting. It would definitely sway a person - well? To cord cut. You are not imagining it. I mean this is being done to help those tiny package streaming sites. We know what this is all about. Ping!

3. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I just moved into a new home with my name on, had to perform some repairs and upgrades (yes, home network wiring folks), so cable television and a home phone line is being sacrificed in the name of the house payment and the gigabit internet service. So, I'm only subscribed to Netflix, Hulu (at a promotional $1 per month from last November), and my Amazon Prime is getting a workout.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Once you get used to not having/using sat/cable for viewing you'll see why DVRs really don't matter anymore. And why/how cable/sat can become irrelevant. Irrelevant except for sports, I mean. If the NFL and MLB ever change to a streaming model that will go away too, at least for my home. Once you get thru devouring all the good stuff on AP...well, you can spend months on NF or Hulu. Once you get that done, if you ever get done, Amazon Prime will have reloaded and the beat just goes on and on. We never lack for content.

Rich

5. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Just in original content alone it is amazing just how much of it is available on Netflix, Hulu and Amazon without even looking at other sources. And I'm finding myself liking more of their original stuff than I am on the broadcast and cable channels although there are plenty there too. Add in some of the lesser players with older content and some of their original content there is more than enough to replace cable/sat altogether if one were so inclined.
    But as you note, sports are the weak link in streaming though more is showing up these days.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, the original series and movies on all three services are usually very good. I checked Law & Order: SVU the other day and we are three seasons behind. We're gonna binge on that very soon. That should kill a month.

Rich

7. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    I also wonder if costs were the same would so many people cut cord.

8. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    To be fair, I haven't really watched much DirecTV for the past few years, and only retained the service because my mother used it as part of a rental agreement at her home. Otherwise, DirecTV would have been disconnected years ago.

Rich likes this.
  9. NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    There's a TON of content between those three sources. And then throw in the free PBS app, plus free ad-supported content from YouTube, Tubi, Pluto TV, Vudu, and/or The Roku Channel, and you've got way more choices than you have time for. You can get free quality 24/7 news streamed from CBSN. Meanwhile, the NBC News app (and YouTube) provides free newscasts from NBC and MSNBC a few hours after they air.

And you can always put up an OTA antenna to get some or all of your live local broadcast stations affiliated with ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, The CW and PBS. Quite a lot of major sports are carried on those channels, along with your local news and weather.

We've never had more quality TV content available for less money.

mjwagner likes this.