Correct connections for Diplexer

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Penny, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Penny

Penny New Member

Jun 4, 2019
    I have a Genie with 2 HD receivers that share the signal. All the receivers work when no diplexer is installed. However, when I add a diplexer the Genie receives good signal but the other two do not. They just keep saying Connecting... I also am not getting all the antenna channels on the diplexer TV as I do in the other straight antenna connections. I do have a booster installed on the OTA system and all the other TVs work well and have good picture. I am not sure I am installing the diplexer in the correct location. I have put it inline between the Signal out to IRD and the cable that goes to the main Genie set. Then inline other the other end.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You can not use a duplexes with your setup. Run a second coax.

veryoldschool likes this.
  3. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    You can't use diplexers with SWM because the SWM frequency band overlaps OTA.

NOTE: posted earlier but t only just appeared!

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The SWM frequencies don't overlap OTA but the frequencies used for HD clients (which is what you must have if it shows "connecting" and hangs) do.

If you want to use a diplexer with your Genie and clients the only possible way would be to install the diplexer between the dish and the splitter. That way the Genie can still communicate with the clients. So you either need to relocate the splitter to be near the Genie, or run a second cable to the Genie to carry OTA from the diplexer's location on the "other side" of the splitter.

5. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I thnk I meant whole home (same as clients?)

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Coax networking [DECA] is 500-600 MHz
    SWiM [by design] is above OTA.

If used "correctly" diplexers [like the NAS 9501] can be used with SWiM systems & DECA