Correct hook up?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Score023, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Score023

Score023 Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    I have a HR20 700 hooked up directly to my TV with HDMI cable and an optical cable running from the HR20 to the receiver and a PS3 hooked up to the TV (component) and to the receiver via optical cable.

I am upgrading my receiver and was wondering if this is the best way to hook these devices up. With the new receiver I will replace the optical cable that connects my PS3 to the receiver with an HDMI cable (my current receiver does not have any HDMI slots).

Am I supposed to have the HR20 run through the receiver and then from the receiver to the TV via HDMI or do I have the optimal hook up?

Also do the newer HD DVR's have more than one HDMI connection (I have one being installed on another TV this week)?

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Honestly it does not matter. You will not notice any difference in PQ or AQ either way you hook up the HD DVR.

If you always use the receiver for sound than you probably just want to go HDMI from the HD DVR to the receiver so you only have to use one input on the TV and do all video switching through the receiver. If you want to be able to use the TV speakers some time leave it the way you have it now.

All DIRECTV HD DVR's only have one HDMI but all of the A/V outputs on the unit are active at the same time.

3. Score023

Score023 Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    Thanks.