Cost for MLB EI

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by mtalhelm, Feb 12, 2007.

1. mtalhelm

mtalhelm AllStar

Nov 22, 2006
    Anybody know what the cost will be for EI this year? Have prices gone up from last year?

2. pdxsam

pdxsam Godfather

Jun 19, 2004
    No word on pricing. Rumor has it EI will be exclusive to DirectTv starting this year. This has not been announced yet.

The positive thing is I bumped into the EI page on Dish's website this weekend. It hadn't been published since the end of last season, so that might signal a positive thing that Dish will have it again this year.

3. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Seeing a Dish Network web page that says "Check back here next season for more information on MLB EXTRA INNINGS!" doesn't sound too positive to me. If anything, it might signal that Dish is willing to sell EI again should MLB decide against D* exclusivity.

4. pdxsam

pdxsam Godfather

Jun 19, 2004
    It's more positive than not being there at all. The fact that it's there to me points to the possibility of MLB coming to their senses because of the backlash and taking InDemand's deal.

My thinking is that the page wouldn't have shown up at all if it weren't a possibility.

5. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    D* has something similar. I don't recall the words, but it has to do with the 2006 season.

6. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    When the sport goes out of season, Dish, DirecTV and InDemands website all say something to the effect of 'Check Back Next Season For Pricing' for the respective sports package. That's how it's been as far as I can remember. IIRC, MLB EI was $180 last year, so it will either be $180 or $190 this year.

7. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    I don't know. That article makes it sound like Major League Baseball is using the "agreement" with D* to get carriage rights for their new "channel". If major league baseball can get the same money from cable (without an exclusive license) Why would they just want Directv and actually take "less money" by locking everyone else out

8. pdxsam

pdxsam Godfather

Jun 19, 2004
  9. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    I read that article and it seems to me like Selig could have been playing with Mike & Mike not actually wanting to come out and say anything until the deal is finalized. The reaction from Alderson makes it seem like the D* deal is done.