1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

could a current C31 be wifi?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by brett_the_bomb, Jan 8, 2013.

1. brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb Legend

Oct 24, 2009
    This a theoretical question. But if u could configure a wifi deca from a c31 couldn't u basically eliminate the need for the wire to the swim splitter. This is of course assuming the genie was on the same network.

My follow up question would be is there already a product out there that could "trick" a c31 into thinking its hard wired to a swm splitter when its actually wifi?

This whole question is based on my assumption that a C31 is only on the swm network and doenst actually count as a tuner since it streams from genie at all times.

Anyways if some understands this all better than I do please let me know why my logic is faulty.

2. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Connect a wireless cinema connection kit (WCCK) via coax to a C31. Instant wireless client. This is the way mine is connected - works well. If the WCCK was providing your DECA network interface to your router, just hardwire the HR34 instead and it will be the cloud interface,

3. brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb Legend

Oct 24, 2009
    Nice can u use wifi ccks on both 34 and clients at the same time? Hense eliminating all wires except to the 34?

4. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Hardwired is usually better than wireless.
    I assume that multiple WCCKs can coexist, they're really just a bridge, but using multiples might put too much of a load on your wireless network.
    Guess it depends on your network (how good is your wireless router, interference from neighboring networks, traffic load, distance between wireless components, etc.).
    When you try it out report back and let us know how it goes.

5. brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb Legend

Oct 24, 2009
    Guess I just need wcck donations. Love to try but that would have a hefty price tag.

6. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
  7. brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb Legend

Oct 24, 2009
    Yikes! I already have one since a hard wire cck is not feasible at my house but I have 4 clients. Too bad clients don't have Ethernet ports. That would open a lot of doors... maybe I should crack one open and find a solder gun lol.

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Hardwired (unless you go out of your way to do it wrong) is ALWAYS better than wireless.

9. brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb Legend

Oct 24, 2009
    +1

Wish my house didn't come with such a scrimpy wire setup. 2 phone jacks(not cat 5) and all of 2 coax jacks in 4 bed built in 04. It agrivates the .... out of me. So many possibilities limited by cheap electrical. Boo