1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could cable be on your horizon?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Chris Blount, Jan 25, 2006.

Could cable be on your horizon?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

79 vote(s)
    32.8%
  3. Not Sure

162 vote(s)
    67.2%
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    With recent events from satellite companies (price increases, equipment costs, etc), could you be switched to cable if the price is right?

2. bavaria72

bavaria72 I am one too! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    I can't even get digital cable where I live. Besides in my area there are constant outages on the regular cable. Now if you could offer me fiber.....:sure:

3. Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    I had cable about 5 years ago. With the digital box, I was paying between $80 and $90 a month . For less than that, I get AT180, locals and HD. No comparison as far as I am concerned. I can also ask for help in here instead of waiting on the cable guy. My dish installer has also been much more reliable (as long as you all feed me the right info to pass on to him).

4. AcuraCL

AcuraCL Godfather

Dec 12, 2005
    In my area the cable company is incompetent and usurious. I would smash in my tv screen before I'd ever deal with them again.

5. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    Everything Red just said. :) Cable was ridiculously high in the Springfield area. :nono2:

Not 'no' but 'HELL no'!! :D

6. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Nope, the only place I may jump is Fios if they get here to my town.

ASSUMING they have a decent HD PVR ready to go.......

7. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    I voted yes because fiber TV is coming to my town in a few months (fiber broadband is already here).

The offering and price will, of course, be the deciding factors.

8. Stew

Stew Cool Member

Nov 9, 2005
    I wouldn't have cable again even if they paid me for it. We've got Charter in my area and they are the most arrogant, obnoxious people I've ever seen. Their "You'll get HD when we're ready to give you HD" attitude amazes me. I left them last year and couldn't be more happy.

9. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    Our local cable isn't bad and has currently released an HD package for $9.95 that will include local stations soon. Their Dual tuner DVR service is $4.95. The premium movie packages all have a west coast feed and the On Demand stuff is pretty cool. For some reason the newer model cable boxes make the analog channels look clearer even on a large TV.

With the recent price increases by Dish and Directv, cable is about the same in cost and they provide you with the dual tuner HD DVR and you don't have to buy anything. Cable seems to offer more extra channels like VH1 Country, MTV Hits, Sleuth, American Life TV, and Starz, Showtime, HBO, and Max all in HD plus they have the VOD services.

Cable also has the advantage of providing local stations for more than one DMA. Dish seems to be working on this but very slowly. I'm not sure about Directv offering them.

10. bjflynn04

bjflynn04 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2004
    I voted no because I can't even get Cable where I live because I live so far out in the country.

11. caam1

caam1 Mentor

Dec 7, 2004
    I actually contacted my local cable company (Charter) last month to see what they offered. I asked what it would cost to get 2 HD boxes and a DVR in addition to the standard SD box that comes with digital cable. They said each HD box would be $16.95 per month and the DVR would be $26.95 per month. That's over $60 in monthly equipment costs compared to the $15 that I pay E* (I own a 508 that doesn't have a DVR fee). Even with their $20 per month discount for new subscribers (good for 20 months), it would still cost me more than E* for fewer channels and a HD package that only includes 4 national channels.

12. yooper

yooper New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Last month after tiring of the repeats on Dish's HD pac and Voom, I looked into my local cable (Charter). Sub to Basic (2-28), HD (Disc,HDnet, HDnet movies,Espn,THTHD,CBSHD,NBCHD,PBSHD) With their dual tuner DVR it costs me $38. It was a reasonable way to try a DVR. and I love it. I'm still a dish sub(access fee only) for a while..... As to PQ...I compared Discover HD Theater on Dish and Cable with no difference, (Samsung 32 CRT HD-via Component. For $13 more I added HBO/Cinemax w/HD. Have to say for an ex cable hater I am one happy camper,

13. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Hey Yooper, say hi to the rest of the guys at the Charter office for me. New member?

14. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    Never say never. But if asked, i would say that telco would be a stronger possibility for me than cable. Cable has a sour ring to it.

15. Southernskys

Southernskys Banned User

Jan 29, 2006
    No ! cable is not for me.

But lets face facts.......the media and ad companies promote Cable every chance they get, considering the word "CABLE" the Icon of home entertainment in the same light as we use "COKE" to describe a soda drink.

The Cable companies in turn spend millions educating their potential customers about the CON's of Satellite and the PRO's of Cable.

The satellite industries are devided on self Promotion, Consumer Education, and Product promotion.

D* and E* spend little if any major bucks in the National Media to correct the widening gap in consumer understanding about Satellite.

Cable compinies have real business locations with real people to talk to. D* and E* have retailers, but they work their own agenda and often do more harm by contracting with poor installers.

I will never go back to Cable.......Satelliet is the Future.....but the satellite industry must forge ahead in the open market and stop relying on WORD of MOUTH to send the message.

16. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Satellite was the future 10 years ago, now it's up to the cable cos and tel cos. Fiber will be the future, companies that can promote the 'smart home' will be the future. Digital TV, HD, Data, Voice and maybe even wireless from a single source, that is the future.

The problem is the inconsistency of cable systems, if there were more cable companies like mine and some of the others here satellite TV would be in real trouble. But that is not the case/

DBS is a matured market, it is my prediction satellite TV will go back to where it one was, primarily in rural homes. DBS used to be a unique product, now there is nothing special about it.

17. midwave

midwave Cool Member

Jun 20, 2004
    I doubt I will ever return to cable tv as long as I remain in the city that I currently reside in.

Time Warner Cable of NE Ohio doesn't want to repair faulty amplifiers in my area, nor replace 20-year old coax from the splitter to each room, so I will never utilize their services again, as long as that applies.
    Also, TWC-NEO also sub-contracts many of their installations, which unfortunately isn't done as professional as should be.

The reason I jumped to DishNetwork 2 years ago was a combination of poor reception
    (water in the lines that they never repair even to this day),
    and the constant price hikes
    (non-digital extended basic w/no movie channels is now the same price as what I pay for Dish180)

When I switched to Dish Network, they installed brand new wire, and done properly so that water doesn't enter the lines, etc.

If i change, I'd consider changing from Dish to DirecTV.
    If i moved to a different city or town, everything is subject to change.

18. Southernskys

Southernskys Banned User

Jan 29, 2006
    Ohhhhh steve mehs.
    Sadly my friend the world doesn't live next to a fiberoptic cable.

Cable is an urban based industry with huge costly infrastreuctures, right of way suits, franchise agreements with Cities, and constant repair issues.

Cable has been very reluctant to expand into the subburbs. Those that have just don't have the money to bring in your so called " Cable Future". Cable promotes its own future and invest in its own newer techo-gaggetts but let's face facts here.

1. Cacble Compines just don't upgrade their older RG-59 customers and amp stations. Prefering to put their money in newer market neighborhoods and high income properties. Then go to the ad compinies and scream the NEW FUTURE of cable and then point to these new rather limited area of improvements.

2. The larger Cities in the east and west coast areas are receiving most of the newer Cable techno investment money, leaving mid-sized cities and rural America
    with 1960's cable compines who still use rotary telephones.

3. Cable companies consitantly toss out propaganda about how satellite signals fade in rain, and how un-reliable satellite is. This is an obvious defensive response to the very real threat satellite poses to the cable industry.

4. Cable companies comsitantly increase rates to fund newer techno to promote into newer areas, and leave older areas to fend for them selves.

5. Cable companies are limited by their infrastructure, and such have little ability to expand from a sole station into surrounding areas. Most cable companies wont expand a market area simply becasue it will cost too must to build or upgarde the cable infrasturcture needed.

6. Weather, or nature in general is a huge problem as most cable is still above ground. Lines that are buried are threatened by construction, water, earthquake, burrowing animals etc etc. Unlike cable, Satellite has little problem with weather and face fewer that 5 or 10 minutes of signal interuption during a Large thunderstorm, not a simple rain storm. Cable on the other hand goes out and stays out for hours and sometimes days!!

7. Last issue:
    Steve where do you think your cable company gets it's programing signal that it then amps up and sends down hundreds of miles of cable? Yes Steve it is called a Satellite signals collected from a large Satellite Dish. Your beloved cable company is simply selling satellite to it's customers in a plain brown wrapper.!! Then turns around and slams satellite as old news that needs to be run out of town.

Steve you need to get out of the city more. There is 99.99% of the world still left out there for you to descovery.

Satellite is the future of home entertainment. Where else can a common everyday citizen tune in a TRUE DIGITAL HD Signal in "No Where Oklahoma". Yup that's right Steve, through satellite. Cable will never reach "No Where Oklahoma", never!

So how is it that cable is the future if that future can't be shared by everyone in America.

Satellite is the Future and will remain the future, if for no other reason than we care about everyone's viewing, not just the rich guy in some overcrowded city.

Bye Bye Now Steve

PS Ever watch the Cable Guy?

19. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Wow being a member of this site since a month after it was founded in 2001, former staff member and satellite TV subscriber for over 7 years I'm being badgered by a guy with 17 posts whose been here 2 whole days :)
    Depends on where you live. My area used to have 60 channels on analog fuzz, now we have probably 250-300 channels of digital clarity, high speed internet and VOIP.
    I receive cable out of Rochester, NY, the 79th largest TV market in the US. By no means one of the largest. The system offers 19 HD channels, an HD DVR, every premium movie channel and in Dolby Digital, up near 30 channels of On Demand. And all but about 10 of the 60 or 70some analog channels are simulcast in digital. We are also the only TW area to receive Road Runner speed increases from 5MB to 7MB. The Tampa area receive massive increases, but they're Brighthouse not TW.
    While a certain DBS company calls the cable industry the 'Cable Pig' and starts a massive advertising campaign only to increase their own prices 2 months later. Propaganda works both ways.
    Okay....
    Companies are in the business to make money not lose money. If there's a rural street with 4 houses on it, the cable company is not going to spend thousands bringing cable to an area for maybe $150/month.
    After having Road Runner for 18 months, I lost my cable signal a total of once due to my driveway settling on top the in coming cable line. With in 24 hours of my call, the cable was replaced an I received a free month of service. TW has a guarantee, if you experience an outage from more then 4 hours, call up and you get a free month of service. And this problem wasn't even on their end.
    Naw really? I've only been into the DBS world for a decade and never knew this. I was referring to DBS, not c band and whatnot. Where do you think Dish Network and DirecTV get their programming from? Same place as cable, uplink satellites from programming providers. Your beloved satellite provider is simply selling content direct from the source, inserting their own promos and compressing the original signal and selling it to it's customers by downlinking it to smaller satellite dishes.

And actually if you want to get to the root of it, thank cable companies for practically inventing DBS (well not really, but they had a hand in it). Primestar, although not a DBS service, was the first DTH satellite service to take off with success, and was financed by guess who? A cooperative of cable companies that formed together to try to make money off of people would couldn't get cable TV.
    :lol: Now that is funny and such a retarded statement, it's taking me a second to respond. Do you honestly think I live in a huge city? I wake up the the cows mooing from the farm around the corner from me, we have a corn field in my backyard. I live in a small rural town. According to the 2000 census we have 5,709 people, 2,021 households, and 1,616 families residing in Marilla. We have one gas station, a bar, 2 churches, a garage and 1 1/2 traffic lights, yep we're a major city alright.

Or how about the town I visit quite often, Belfast, NY. 1,714 people, 651 households, and 417 families residing in the town. It's less then 37 square miles and is served by not one but two cable companies. Part of the town is served by TW Rochester, the other part TW S.Tier NY.

When I can get an 8MB/512KB internet connection via a satellite let me know. You want old technology, satellite receivers use phone lines to communicate with the provider.
    Wasn't Voom supposed to be the future of HD, how could have it been the future when most people west of the Rockies couldn't see? I don't want one industry or one company to dominate in every aspect. You may have a sucky cable system, I may have a top notch one. I have to really thank Dish Network and DirecTV for having such a stellar product at one time that forced TW in my area to make such huge improvements and beat them at their own game.
    Whatever dude, I used to feel the same way, had Dish for over 5 years, DirecTV for the past 2. While both companies have been making promises my cable company has made vast improvements in their infrastructure. I used to hate cable, look up some of my old posts bashing Time Warner, ever since I got RR, I wanted to get them back for TV service.

Every number I gave can be verified by the Wikipedia, and Time Warner Cable's Website for zip codes 14102 and 14711.

BTW- Next time run the Spell Checker. I picked up more errors quoting you then of my own.

20. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    Just a little FYI... You'll never get rid of Steve.

He speaks plenty well enough for himself, so I won't try to help him, but he's one of the smartest guys here. ;)

I may not agree with every single thing he says.. (My own answer to this poll was 'hell no'.) But you usually cannot argue with his logic.

And he has some of the most quotable lines on this site! ;) :D