Could DirecTV add Azteca to NYC LIL?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by BrettR, Dec 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrettR

BrettR Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    Azteca America is making its way into NYC DMA.

However its affiliating with a low power station. (Could they have tried purchasing one of the abundant NJN channels that service the state like WNJB 58? Central NJ already gets WNJN and or WNJT. If they purchased it, NJN could collect nice money from the sell of, plus Azteca would have cable and DBS mustcarry rights.)

DirecTV currently offers Cincinnati their low power UPN.

Currently DirecTV has significant penetration because of YES not available on Cablevision. NYC is the #2 Hispanic market also.

Could DirecTV add WXNY-LP 39 into the DirecTV locals package?

I do know Dish Network has exclusive rights for TV Azteca but I dont know if that would interrupt DirecTV from carrying a low power Azteca affiliate. What does SHVIA say regarding low power stations and copyrights?

As for channel capacity, what would happen is WSAH (Shop At Home), WTBY (TBN) pull the same stunt PAX did and next mustcarry cycle they ask for carriage? Add in WFME 66, will DirecTV not carry low power stations or popular regional news channels because of potential additional mustcarries?

Regarding Hispanic channels,
    100000watts.com has written WKFT 40 that was prior in the Raleigh Durham package but whose tower was hit by a plane, will return but as Univision station.

I remember the echostarmerger.com mentioned North Carolina as a growing area with Hispanics but no station and the merger will offer national Univision to the Hispanic population. I was bit confused because DirecTV and Dish already offer Hispanic channels. The only thing is certain ones are exclusive to Dish and others are exclusive to DirecTV. With a merger, the subscriber would get both supposedly, although I wouldnt expect the rates to be good as there would be no competing parties. Univision was against the merger for this similar reason. (Really though if Dish had purchased DirecTV and was going to offer more Spanish channels to each customer, that would be more competition for Univision. I do know many markets that are high in Hispanic rank only get Univision and Telefutura, both owned by Univision as sources). Right now DirecTV blows Dish in Spanish packaging but Dish has exclusive rights to TV Azteca.

2. raj2001

raj2001 Icon/Supporter

Nov 2, 2002
    I don't think they will. They don't really the have bandwidth for it, and they are not mandated to carry this one because it is a low power station. Besides, if they carry Azteca TV the other LP stations will be down their throats.

3. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    They COULD add it. Will they?

4. raj2001

raj2001 Icon/Supporter

Nov 2, 2002
    I dont think they will, since one LP station isn't exactly going to be at the top of their agenda. They'll more likely add stuff that will bring more viewers, like LiL for other markets.

5. bryan27

bryan27 DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru

Apr 1, 2002
    The only reason the Cincinnati LPTV was added was that it is the UPN affiliate. Azteca isn't even a broadcast network even using Hispanic Network Standards. Now if the LPTV was NYC's only source for UNI or TEL that would be a different story and probably be added. Azteca has so few stations and their ratings are so low they don't show a blip on the reports.

6. BrettR

BrettR Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    Azteca is popular in the LA Region, the #1 market though more of Mexican origination. NYC and extended regions like Philly are more Puerto Rican of nature.

http://209.61.190.23/news2002/jan02/jan14/4_thurs/news1thursday.html

DirecTV may be interested in the national feed but Dish has exclusive for TV Azteca. I wonder if DirecTV can add a low power affiliate, which isnt covered by SHVIA? I suspect they wont add it because of bandwith limitations, but I am questioning if it is legally possible with a contract between DirecTV and the Low power affiliate. DirecTV has made great inroads to attract the Hispanic Populations with Para Todos, LIL and the YES situation has made their penetration higher in the NYC region.

Something Azteca did upset Echostar:
    http://www.skyreport.com/skyreport/july2002/071802.htm

I suspect it maybe the mustcarry of Azteca affiliates on DirecTV devauling Echostar's exclusive agreement with TV Azteca.

7. bryan27

bryan27 DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru

Apr 1, 2002
    OOH, Single digit shares :rolleyes: compared with Univision which averages a 49 share and Telemundo which averages 23. There is nothing below a single digit share!

Azteca is a Hispanic Network like PAX TV. We say we reach so much of a percentage of TV households because we count the whole DMA as covered although all those LPTV stations we are on actually cover much less of the households we say we cover.

This is Azteca's affiliates:

Full Power
    KTNC-San Francisco (up against full power KDTV-UNI, KSFT-FUT, KTCS-TEL)

KAZH-Houston (up against full power KFTH-FUT, KXLN-UNI, KTMD-TEL, KZJL-Ind)

KAZA-Los Angeles (up against full powers KWHY-Ind, KMEX-UNI, KVEA-TEL, KFTR-FUT. In this case a single digit share means just about no one is watching)

Low Power
    KQDF-Albuquerque (up against full power KLUZ-UNI, and LPTV KTEL-TEL, KFTA-FUT)

KADF-Austin (up against full power KAKW-UNI & LPTV KDAS-UNI, KGBS-Ind, KBVO-FUT)

KSMI-Wichita (there's no competion of course they are #1)

KYAV-Palm Springs (already a saturated market for it's size, up against LPTV KVER-UNI, KEVC-FUT, KUNS-TEL)

KSBT-Santa Barbara (another saturated market, up against full power KTAS-TEL, KPMR-UNI, and LPTV KTSB-FUT, KWHY(LP)-Ind, KQMM/KUMM-Spanish Videos)

WXNY-New York (up against full power WXTV-UNI, WNJU-TEL, WFTY/WFUT-FUT)

KUVR-Reno (up against LPTV KRRI-HTVN, KNVV-UNI, K52FF-TEL)

KHDF-Las Vegas (up against full power KBLR-TEL, KINC-UNI, and LPTV KELV-FUT)

KSVN-Salt Lake City (up against LPTV KUBX-UNI, KEJT-TEL)

W21AU-Orlando (up against full power WOTF-FUT, WVEN-UNI and LPTV WTMO-TEL, W47AL-FTN)

WWHB-West Palm Beach (practically no competition, up against translator W53BS-FUT)

WPMF-Miami (up against full power WEYS-Ind, WLTV-UNI, WAMI-FUT, WSCV-TEL, and LPTV WJAN-Ind, W55BV-Ind)

K42EJ-Bakersfield (might do well here, up against LPTV KTFB/KBTF-FUT, KABE-UNI)

KMSG-Fresno (up against full power KSNO-TEL, KFTV-UNI and LPTV KCWB-Spanish Videos, KTFF-FUT)

NO STATIONS IN THESE KEY HISPANIC MARKETS:

Phoenix
    Chicago
    Philadelphia
    Dallas
    San Antonio
    Washington
    Denver

8. Brett

Brett Guest

"OOH, Single digit shares compared with Univision which averages a 49 share and Telemundo which averages 23. There is nothing below a single digit share!"

Excuse me, I didnt mean this topic to be regarding the popularity of Azteca vs. established Univision and Telemundo.

DBS is meant to offer something different, not available on broadcast. See how popular DirecTV would be if they didnt distinguish themselves in the market. Echostar has captured many international subscribers and other subscribers that want programming not available on cable.

The ratings of those international programming are nonexistant but look, Dish is outnumbering DirecTV in new subscriptions.

UPN's primetime market share is mostly "single-digit" share's during most key time periods even in the big markets where UPN has a strong full power signal. DirecTV added the Low power UPN in Cincinatti. People that want the UPN programming can see the station 24 x 7 in better pq on DirecTV.

This topic was meant to be if DirecTV could legally add LP affiliates with permission. What would happen if a programmer breached an exclusive arrangement with one provider by using a LP affiliate to get carried on the other provider.

If Dish has an exclusive for the programming, which they do (IIRC the press release and Ch.580 indicated awhile ago exclusive to Dish), Azteca could find itself in troubled waters allowing DirecTV to carry low power affiliates carrying Azteca. The full power stations are covered by mustcarry and FCC would likely favor the broadcaster.

Many international channels are exclusive to Dish and DirecTV IS barred from getting rights since they consistently passed on them when they had the chance in favor of locals or HDTV.

DirecTV gave up their wing satellite licenses because they didnt want them. They have 119 and 110 but have loaded them with locals and HDTV (considered "loss-leaders") However they have also pushed their Hispanic package Para Todos quite extensively. New York is the #2 Hispanic market, LA is the #1 Hispanic Market. The two markets alone represent 28% Total US Hispanic TV HH. DirecTV is a considerable player in the NY market where Cablevision lost customers to DirecTV (over YES).

This is my opinion: As for some of the duopolies in the country, they should have never been allowed. Telefutura has no locally produced programming done by the station, but being full power is granted the precious mustcarry rights.

9. raj2001

raj2001 Icon/Supporter

Nov 2, 2002
    LP stations, especially those in a foreign language, just won't bring ROI, especially since DirecTV already has alot of Spanish programming with its "Para Todos" package. I'd rather see something more useful, like locals for other cities or more HDTV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.