1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could DirecTV add Netflix?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by BenJF3, Nov 11, 2008.

Should D* add Netflix Streaming Service?

1. Yes, it should be an option.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, I like things as they are.

100.0%
  1. BenJF3

BenJF3 Godfather

Sep 12, 2008
    Could D* conceivably add Netflix streaming to it's HD DVRs? I mean you have the Roku box, Xbox 360 will have HD streaming this month, and now we are seeing Blu Ray players with Netflix built in. I think it would be awesome if D* could add instant streaming to the HD DVR's! What's everyone else take on this? It could even be done as a one time add on fee to get the download. Those who don't want it, don't have to have it.

The downside and where I see D* not going for it would be possible lost revenue for their PPV, but at the same time most of what's on Netflix streaming is older stuff that's already past PPV deployment.

2. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    That would represent an extremely poor business decision on DirecTV's part... unless Netflix decides on some revenue sharing system, which I doubt. The Netflix library grows every month and they will be streaming the first HD movies to the XBox 360... every aspect of this affects the DirecTV revenue stream.

3. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Two very different questions are being asked in the thread and poll:

Could they? I have no idea... probably.

Should they? See Larry's response. It would eat into their PPV revenue so it wouldn't make much sense unless there's a revenue sharing system. I think Netflix is doing okay on their own and doesn't need DirecTV.

4. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    I agree with tcusta00 completely.

Could they? I'd imagine so but can't say for sure.

I don't see why they would unless they are getting a cut from netflix and even then I'm not sure it would be big enough to be worth while.

5. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I think Directv should stick with its current PPV model for those that want that sort of thing.

6. man_rob

man_rob Hall Of Fame

Feb 21, 2007
    For $99, you can get the Roku Netflix player with HD coming by the end of the year.

7. SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007
    I would think it would be a great boon to us subscribers
    It reminds me of the days when D* PPV was branded as Blockbuster PPV
    although here it would be of real value, and not just a name slapped on a old service

revenue sharing is a must of course

8. rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    I would love it if they did but dont see it happening. So if you need to view your netflix and Hulu use PlayOn. Works pretty well for me.

9. kmill14

kmill14 Godfather

Jun 12, 2007
    Tivo's stand-alone HD models will be offering the Netflix streaming capability as well...

I wonder if the next gen DirecTiVo box will still not allow all these additional features the regular TiVo boxes have.

10. BenJF3

BenJF3 Godfather

Sep 12, 2008
    I don't see how Netflix streaming would cut into PPV revenue. By the time Netflix streaming would get those titles, they'd have already run their course on PPV outlets. I, for one don't buy PPV movies as they just aren't worth it to me. I wait awhile and get the rental. In my market, Time Warner has begun doing "Same Day As DVD" PPV offerings, so that can make a difference. I think Netflix streaming is more of an add on for Netflix subs and D* integration would only be an enhancement. This thread was started just to get input and opinion from all. Do I think D* will add Netflix, most likely NOT. I think we will see it integrated more and more into BD Players as well as the expansion of the Roku Player. If I had to do it right now, I'd go with a Roku player unless Panasonic were to add it to the BD35 or BD55 which are probably two of the best budget BDP's out right now.

11. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    they shouldnt, thats all i have to say, OH...and bad idea. lol i am a man of few words.

12. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    TIVO unlike DirecTV, does not supply programming... no conflict for them. Also while it presents a possible hit on PPV revenues... It could really hit premium movie channels revenues.

If I can stream the Hulk in HD from Netflix, why should I have the premium movies channels?

13. mattgwyther

mattgwyther Member

May 22, 2007
    I am currently streaming Netflix to two HR2x's using Mediashare and PlayOn..... not the best quality but watchable.

14. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Really just depends.

Tivo is not the same as Directv at all as far as content agreements, etc. go.

Directv provides TV/content from many sources and hardware. Tivo just provides hardware/guide data and is thus much more free to work with different content providers and new ways of content delivery .

15. dhhaines

dhhaines Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Well in my household the premiums have already priced themselves out. And PPV, I haven't bought since the 24hr rule took effect.

Netflix delivery type systems are the way to go, so I think if DirecTV could get some revenue out of it they should go for it.

16. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Maybe if they started offering some kind of prepaid PPV package system. That could potentially be interesting and allow semi-On Demand viewing for those of us without decent internet to stream on demand "on demand" or at all (since satellite caters to many out of the reach of good broadband internet).

They could do it many ways, such as maybe something like $15/mo for up to 3 movies a week or something like that.

17. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    I use Apple TV for PPV... so wouldn't matter to me...

18. rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    Good thinking. The could do away with all their existing ppv contracts and just go to netflix and DOD it all. That would eliminate the 24 hour problem and eliminate all the PPV infrastructure at DirecTV

19. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    The problem is many satellite customers do not have broadband internet available which is one of the reasons PPV was such a good thing for many when it first came around.

20. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I voted to leave it alone