1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could you guys PLEASE help me out?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Jack White, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 9, 2006 #1 of 19
    Jack White

Jack White Icon

Sep 17, 2002
    I have to do this assignment for Journalism class.
    I have to ask tons and tons of people(as many as possible) about unknown holidays. Did you guys realize that it's "National Poultry Day" on March 19th?
    Could some of you guys please just give your opinions on this holiday?

Do you eat poultry?
    Why or why not?
    Who's your favorite famous chicken/turkey/etc?
    What's your favorite poultry food?

Feel free to answer your own questions about poultry or discuss this holiday.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Mar 9, 2006 #2 of 19
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Could some of you guys please just give your opinions on this holiday?

I consider most holidays like these to have been a waste of time and money. They probably had a team of legislative aids drafting the bill that created this holiday and spent several hours debating it in Congress.

Do you eat poultry?

Quite often - probably 2 times a week

Why or why not?

Its tasty.

Foghorn Leghorn - "That's what I've been - I say, that's what I've been telling you, boy! I am a chicken!"

turkey

3. Mar 9, 2006 #3 of 19
    bobsupra

bobsupra Work In Progress DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 12, 2002
    I'll also eat poulty twice a week. Turkey is reserved for High Holy Days, but enjoy a turkey leg or two every now and then. Chicken Little was my favorite story when I was 6-8.

4. Mar 9, 2006 #4 of 19
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Chicken: a food you eat before it's born and after it's dead.

I ate "popcorn" chicken yesterday. It wasn't popcorn, and I'm not sure it was chicken.

5. Mar 9, 2006 #5 of 19
    Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I make boneless, skinless chicken breast a few times a week, and turkey about once a week. I eat red meat only about twice a month.

6. Mar 9, 2006 #6 of 19
    ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    I like chicken, turkey and other birds too.
    You can fry it, smoke it, bake it, boil it, barbeque it and it's always good.
    My favorite bird is the one that hangs around the Whitehouse and gets pardoned every year.

7. Mar 9, 2006 #7 of 19
    bear paws

bear paws Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    NE Ct.
    And you cook it "well done" on your blog. :hurah: :D :lol:

Great job,

Bear!

8. Mar 9, 2006 #8 of 19
    Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Do you eat poultry?

yes

Why or why not?

It tastes good.

Tough call. I cannot decide between Foghorn Leghorn and the dancing sport mascot formerly known as the San Diego Chicken. Chicken Little annoys me. The same could be said for Super Chicken who used to appear on the George of The Jungle cartoons. And don't get me started on that darned chicken who crossed the road. Who cares why he crossed it?

Turkey. Chicken is generally easier to prepare though.

As for these holidays I think that they are overdone. I question that there are really hours of debate over all this stuff but any debate at all seems like too much.

9. Mar 9, 2006 #9 of 19
    Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    Heh. Thanks. To what, specifically, do you refer?

10. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    Do you eat poultry?

yes, usually 2-3 x a week.

Why?

tastes good and lower fat (healthier, although I really like it fried, so I guess that negates the healthy)

Favorite fowl?

If duck counts as poultry, then Daffy Duck - otherwise ??? Honorable Mention - Favorite Famous Turkey: Tie between Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter. :)

Favorite poultry food?

Fried Chicken - but on special occasions Roast Turkey. I enjoy them both, but I can eat chicken most any day, in most any form and not get tired of it. For some reason, Turkey is just good a couple times a year and I do get tired of it.

Numerous Holidays?
    I didn't even know there was a National Poultry Day. Since I don't have to buy a card and the worst that might happen is to have to eat a plate of Fried Chicken and mashed potatoes/gravy - no problem. But I never have really figured out why so many special days are named, particularly when no one knows they exist half the time.

11. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Sillyness promoted by some lobbying group.

Nearly every night.
    It's better for me than that other meat. (sorry RichW).
    I have never dealt with any famous chickens and have never persued their autographs nor pictures. :D If I did, it would probably be Chickenman.... he's everywhere, he's everywhere.
    Anything that tastes like chicken

Ok. Good luck with the project.

12. Jack White

Jack White Icon

Sep 17, 2002
    Thank you guys, I really appreciate your help.
    I just can't wait for spring break, it's just too bad that I'll have to work both weekends during spring break so I only get a 4 day break.
    Ah, to be spoiled rotten and not have to work must be so nice :)

13. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Ah, but you work now so that you won't have to work later. :D

14. Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber Banned User

Jan 4, 2006
    I eat poultry. Probably less than once a week. I would eat it more often, but because of cost, shelf-life and cook prep-time issues, I find myself eating other meats more often. One of the things I always enjoyed about the week after Thanksgiving and the week after Chistmas was making the home made Turkey soup out of the carcass. Home made soup is much much better than any store bought canned concoction.

15. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I eat poultry several times a week. I'm going home in a few minutes and make a sandwich with turkey, chicken, as well as roast beef and ham. A special treat at our house is fried chicken "like Grandma used to make" (literally, best darn fried chicken you ever ate, falling off the bone good.) In general, we use more skinless, boneless chicken breasts and thighs for ease of preparation, and its easier to cook just what you need for how many are going to be eating the meal.

For holidays, instead of roasting one big turkey, we will have two birds. I smoke one, and oven roast the other.

BTW, the life expectancy for those turkeys who get pardoned by the president is a month or two after being pardoned. They have been forced to grow so big that their hearts can't take it. Someday one of those birds will have a coronary while being pardoned.

16. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    It's better for me than that other meat. (sorry RichW).

That's OK, I eat a lot of chicken too. But steak is more manly!! :)

17. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    *insert broke back mountain comment here*

18. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    yes, almost every day

because it good, easy, and cheap

The "cluckin' chicken"

"If you want a place for the greatest chicken, take it from my head, it's easy pickin', 'cause something's always cookin' at the Cluckin' Chicken!"

Chicken and fried turkey

19. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    That would make it double-manly! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.