Couldn't connect to HBO Go, so I made the call to D*'s "Customer Service"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Rich, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Jan 9, 2015 #1 of 37
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I just wanted to see what HBO Go had to offer, so I tried to get in and was asked for my D*.com password. I put it in and it wouldn't take it. The message I got told me to call customer service at D*. Knowing full well that was an oxymoron, with great trepidation I made the call (I had no idea what else to do). I got a lady who started apologizing to me right off the bat. I explained what was wrong (I wanted to ask her what she was apologizing about since I hadn't told her anything about my problem, but I held my tongue). First, she couldn't understand what I was talking about and kept apologizing. I couldn't understand how she could apologize so often and still keep track of what I was saying.

Finally, it dawned on her that I was simply asking why my password worked on D*.com but not on HBO Go's site. So she apologized again and she unlocked something or other and then told me to erase my history. I refused. She told me nothing would work until I dumped my history, apologizing constantly. By this time I figured that rebooting the computer would probably solve the problem and thanked her and hung up. I think she was still apologizing when I hung up.

Rebooted the computer and went right into HBO Go.

I really hate having to call up anyone at D* except the Access Department or Retention. Just wanted to get that off my chest. That call took almost an hour.

Rich

2. Jan 9, 2015 #2 of 37
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Or half hour if you edit out the apologies?

That and them talking about how valued I am does tend to annoy me. Generally, I'm not upset when I call, even with issues it's generally no ones fault. Things happen, a lot of apologizing just tends to sound hollow.

3. Jan 9, 2015 #3 of 37
    mrknowitall526

mrknowitall526 Active Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    I chatted with them today trying to get some bill credits, and they kept telling me how valued I was but didn't have any offers.

4. Jan 9, 2015 #4 of 37
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    "I see you've been with us since 2011."
    (I know)
    "How are you?"
    (Why are you pretending to be my friend?) "I'm good, you?"
    "Excellent, thanks for asking?"
    (Here's 12 seconds of my life I won't get back...)

2 people like this.
  5. Jan 9, 2015 #5 of 37
    west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    So you called DTV wanting help and then when they offered it you refused to do what was asked of you? Sounds to me like you just wasted an hour of time where someone else could be getting help.

6. Jan 9, 2015 #6 of 37
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    They probably said clear history because of the dumbing down of the setting on the recent versions of browsers like Firefox and IE where the clear history option includes cookies and browser cache. What you probably did need to do is clear the cookies for the sites involved in TVE authentication and the browser cache. The way TVE authentication works multiple cookies are set by Adobe (who handles the TVE authentication for most networks), DirecTV's login portal (I think it's dtvce.com) and the site of the network's TVE portal. If something goes wrong with the login process you sometimes have to delete the cookies from all of them before you can try logging in again.

It's a lot more easier to tell someone to just use the clear option instead of having them dive into different menus that can vary to delete only the specific things needed to be removed. Plus diving into the cookies is an adventure in its own over the phone where they would have to read specific URLs like sp.auth.adobe.com, dtvce.com and whatever the network uses, and with phone sound quality B's and V's sound the same and if it's an outsourced rep they might say "zed" instead of "zee". At least Firefox has an option to search cookies for specific sites, but for IE you need to go to the cookies folder (which varies based on OS, browser version and username) and find files that match the string.

7. Jan 9, 2015 #7 of 37
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Rich,

I'm sorry you had to go through that and I'm even sorrier you felt you had to write about it. Sorry, just had to say that. Again, I apologize........

:rolling:

3 people like this.
  8. Jan 9, 2015 #8 of 37
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    And I'm sorry I've read this thread. :)

2 people like this.
  9. Jan 9, 2015 #9 of 37
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    It sure is a pain in the rear when you get kind and courteous customer service...right?

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, I wasn't even looking for an apology, just wanted to get the password thing straightened out. Take out all the apologies and random guesses and all she had to do was unlock my account. 5 minutes was all she needed.

But I expected to be tortured and I got what I expected. And HBO Go isn't all that great. I hope their new streaming service is better.

Rich

11. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Song going through CSR's head as she was talking with Rich "I'm Sorry" by Brenda Lee. Song going through Rich's head as he was talking with CSR "Who's Sorry Now?" by Connie Francis. :sure:

2 people like this.
  12. ssandhoops

ssandhoops AllStar

Dec 2, 2007
    So, what's your issue with it? I've not tried it on the computer but I've watched a number of shows on the iPad or via AppleTV with HBO Go and I've been very pleased.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

13. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    So you want the OTT HBO Go to have less?

Real HBO Go, the one that comes with a paid subscription has pretty much everything that's on HBO, plus nearly everything that HBO has ever done.

I don't know how HBO could make it any better than it is right now.

1 person likes this.
  14. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    l'd have to agree. It's a great archive of series, movies, docs. From 'John Adams' to 'Boardwalk Empire', there's something for everyone unless you have watched everything you want from HBO. These aren't on Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon.

15. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Actually, many of the series are on Amazon Prime.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Was there ever a song titled, "Why did I make this call, I should have known better?". That's what I was thinking.
    Rich

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I thought there would be more of a selection, but I didn't spend much time on it. I did find a list of episodes of The Wire on it. That comes in handy for viewing VoD in the proper order. What resolution do you get when you use it with Apple TV? To be honest, by the time I finally got to the HBO site, I wasn't in a mood to give it a really good look. I'll look at it again when I get a chance and see what I'm sure I missed.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Let me take a better look at it. I really haven't explored it in detail. I'm always willing to change my mind.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I didn't see Boardwalk Empire, that kinda turned me off. I'll take a better look at it.

Rich

20. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    The UI varies by what you are using it from and all of them are so cluttered that it is easy to get lost! :)

But it is all there. Just binge watched Carnivale from years ago.