1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Counter

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by fortinjlf, May 26, 2008.

1. fortinjlf

fortinjlf Mentor

Mar 15, 2007
    What time period does the heat temp indicator cover? I'd like to keep track, since I think it's been running a little warm.

When it says "high temperature" and "average temperature". What time span does that mean? From initial install? One day? From last power-up? Just what?

Thanks

2. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    I'm not sure that's published. I have never seen any description of how/when the calculations are done or any way to reset it. I know when changes are made such as adding a fan to cool it down, the numbers will change over time but it seems like it took weeks for the average to come down.

3. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    This counter appears to have very little value to anyone; including Dish.

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    On May 15 I noticed that my 722 was running unusually hot. I took steps to immediately cool it down and then ordered a notebook cooling fan pad. It took two days for the high temperature reading to change, from 138̊° to 140°. The cooling fan arrived May 20. It took three days for the low to drop from 111° to 105°. The average hasn't changed from 123°.

I assume that the average is based on a large number of samples taken, so an average 5°± reduction would require some time to change.

I also don't know how valid these numbers are. What I do know is that that hard drive manufacturers (Seagate/Maxtor/Western Digital) say that the "normal operating range" is 41° to 131° Fahrenheit so when I see numbers approaching and exceeding 131° I get very paranoid.