1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple more SWMline related Q's before pulling trigger

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by babzog, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Aug 4, 2009 #1 of 23
    babzog

babzog Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    Hey folks,

Since my last thread got hoodwinked/hijacked, I thought I'd post a new thread with couple of (hopefully) simple questions.

1. With the recent channel changes, is there any longer a reason to go with the SL5 or would the SL3 be sufficient? Locals will be coming off 99 and there's no requirement for international channels. What is left on 110 and 119 in the regular lineup that hasn't yet been transitioned?

2. Can the SWMline be aimed by IRD signal meter as per normal or is special equipment required? If "Yes", is there a howto somewhere?

If the answer to #2 is categorically "No", then I'll just pick up a standard dish.. I think there's two cables up to the roof already.

2. Aug 4, 2009 #2 of 23
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    1. In New York you probably don't need the SlimLine 5. The only channels left on 110º are a few of the older HD channels that are all already beamed from 99/103º, and will likey be gone by year-end. The channels left on 119º are SD Locals for several cities and the Spanish Package channels.

2. It can be done. Check out the instructions and videos here ....
    http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite/directv_dish_antenna_types.asp

3. Aug 4, 2009 #3 of 23
    babzog

babzog Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    Great, thank you. That narrow it down to two choices.

These site though, just has videos that show aiming using a meter. Can the aiming of a SWM LNB be accomplished by just using the IRD's built-in signal meter as we used to do in the days before SWM?

4. Aug 4, 2009 #4 of 23
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Being "old school" I do mine that way. :)

5. Aug 4, 2009 #5 of 23
    babzog

babzog Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    What is the procedure for doing it using the IRD signal meter? I saw another image of a signal meter and it showed something like "Satellite: SWM" rather than a specific satellite (ie: 101). How would you know what satellite you're on for aiming purposes?

6. Aug 4, 2009 #6 of 23
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Simply" going into the SAT setup and the signal strength get you to the screen with "view signal strength" at the bottom. This is the "meter" and in that screen you can change SATs & transponders [tuners too]

7. Aug 4, 2009 #7 of 23
    babzog

babzog Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    Hey VOS,

I'm not sure we're on the same wavelength. From the SWMLine First Look document, I extracted this image and highlighted what I was referring to:

[​IMG]

You can see that, where one would expect the satellite number (99, 101, 103, etc) that it just says "SWM". From that, how would I know what satellite is giving me the signal numbers? Does the "SWM" on the screen change to a specific satellite number if you hit the +/- buttons (thus allowing you to align the dish), or does it always show "SWM", in which case, what do you do?

Attached Files:

8. Aug 4, 2009 #8 of 23
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    What you're looking at there is the SWM output, not the SATs.
    See the highlighted "+", use it to change to the SAT screen [from the SWM] and then "signal meter" at the bottom.
    OR go to signal meter and then change to the SAT you want.

9. Aug 4, 2009 #9 of 23
    babzog

babzog Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    Ah... that's great! Thank you so much for your patience!

For curiosity's sake... what is the SWM output that's shown in the pic and why is it only showing certain transponders?

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    What you're seeing is the SWM "channels", not transponders.
    Now if you have a bad splitter, or are using splitters that aren't rated high enough, you could see a drop off of the last few channels.
    "Also" if your dish goes out of alignment, then these will all show zero [zero in = zero out].
    On a multi-tuner system, you will also see zeros for "channels" being used by other receivers.
    I've got 3 DVRs & 1 receiver. If I use the receiver, I can see six zeros [sometimes] and as I change each DVR to the "SWM screen" two zeros go away. To put this another way: if all receivers are in the setup screen, I have no zeros and as I change each receiver back to "normal" function, I can watch zeros show up on the screen.

11. babzog

babzog Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    Ahh... gotcha. Thanks again!

12. rhingst

rhingst Cool Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Babzog,

We are fulltime RV'ers and have the SL3-SWM dish and set up frequently. Get your coordinates from dishpointer.com, plumb your mast, set to the coordinates and it shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes using the IRD onscreen meters.

13. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    The on-screen signal meters are perfectly good for dish aiming. The main problem is getting the number on the screen to the dish location while you are making the fine tuning adjustments. I used a small portable TV on which I could get good usable video of the meter screen by feeding the video signal over about 50 feet of cheap small gauge unshielded speaker wire. That combined with the DVR/Receiver remote control set to RF mode made the aiming task a simple one man operation. Other people do it by having a helper watch the screen and relay the signal levels to a cell phone or wireless phone at the dish location.... or just yelling out the window.

As for which on-screen levels to look at... my suggestion would be to start on the signal meter for an individual transponder on the 101 satellite. That satellite is the easiest to find and lock on to when doing the rough aiming of the dish and just trying to get any signal. Then fine tune the dish for the best levels on a 99(c) and 103(c) transponder. The SWM levels aren't of much use for dish aiming, other than the fact that if they are all zero, you're not going to see signal levels for the actual satellite transponders on the on-screen meter readout either... but I think the SWM levels will be zero until you get locked onto the satellite signal.

14. Tebbens

Tebbens AllStar

Nov 10, 2004
    So everything is being moved over to 99/101/103 ?

I live in NY (12540) and currently have the Slimline 5 with 4 outputs and a Spaun Switch.

What channels/features will I lose if I switch from the Slimline5 to the SWMLine3 ??
    Can the LNB be swapped out without having to re-align ??

15. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If everything is working okay with the 5LNB, why change? You will lose 110 and 119, which contain the old (70-series) HD channels (which are duplicated in the higher channel numbers as mpeg4 feeds), and the Spanish language programming package Para Todos if you have it. Otherwise, the 3 LNB will give you the same as the 5 LNB.

If you carefully change the LNB assembly, you should not have to realign the dish.

16. Tebbens

Tebbens AllStar

Nov 10, 2004
    My current LNB doesn't seem to be working correctly, and also want to cut back on all the cables I'm using.
    I seems to remember that a specific make of the SL3-SWM had trouble in cold weather.....!?

17. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The cold weather issues should have all been resolved. That specific LNB assembly was replaced and should no longer be in the supply chain.

Not sure what kind of problems you are having. Simply replacing the LNB may or may not be what you need to do to correct your problems.

18. Plasman

Plasman AllStar

Jan 1, 2006
    I have a couple of SL3 SWM Dish install questions:

Single RG6 from dish goes to Power port of PI. IRD side of PI goes to red "in" port of SWS-8 splitter. Must the red "out" port of the SWS-8 go to a receiver or can it be terminated if not used? Are terminators necessary on all unused ports even they have over 15 feet of coax leading to a room without a receiver? Thanks!

19. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    It doesn't matter if you use the Red output(of the splitter) or not when your PI is hooked up before the splitter. That Red output is a power passing leg of the splitter for use when the PI is ran after the splitter.

Terminate all unused ports.

20. Plasman

Plasman AllStar

Jan 1, 2006
    Thanks very much. I think I get it. So I could have connected the dish directly to the red "In" port on the splitter and then used the red "Out" port to go to a receiver by way of the power inserter in that line? Or even just connected that red "Out" port to a power inserter at a remote location with nothing connected to its IRD port?