1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple of questions before going to Directv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Graygeek, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Graygeek

Graygeek New Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Thinking about tossing cable under the bus and moving to Directv. My first question is, the Directv site implies I can do a self install. Most references to this seem to be several years old. I have done many C-band and dish installs over the years, and being a doit myself kinda guy I would prefer/enjoy to install the system myself. Call me stubborn, the wife does! :D If I order Directv online as a new customer will they let me do the install myself?

Second queston: I could care less about starz/showtime and plan to cancel prior to end of free three month period. Is there any risk the cancellation would effect my "Free HD"? Any tips on how to drop the Starz/Showtime before it cost $$?

Thanks for your reply

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I would let DIRECTV install.

3. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    For you to receive any special(s) in terms of discounts for new customers on equipment it requires professional installation. Most installations are free for new customers as long as it doesn't require any extravagant measures to complete the installation.

To do a self installation, you would have to purchase all of the equipment on your own from one of the few online retailers such as weakness or solidsignal at your own expense without the benefit of free or discounted equipment. this would entail the dish, lnb, power inserter (if using an SWiM lnb type), receivers (standard, hd or hd dvr varieties), and all installation materials needed to compelte your installation. This would also eliminate you from being covered by any installation wareranty that typically comes with a professional installation of course.

Seeing that a free professional installation is just that, it is rather unwise to forgo that offer just to come out of pocket even more cash...

Free HD requires auto pay to be setup at the time of singing up. This is separate and apart from any other promotions like 3 months or so pf any premiums. Canceling the stars/showtime package or any other premium for that matter does NOT effect the free HD promo.

As far as the free starz/showtime package or any other premium station promo goes, you just have to remember to call and cancel before the free period expires or they will automatically renew at the regular rate.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No, DirecTV will not send you any equipment for self installation. You'll need to buy the stuff yourself from dealers like http://www.solidsignal.com or eBay.

Just make a note in your calendar to call DirecTV to cancel any freebies a few days before the 3-months are up.

5. Graygeek

Graygeek New Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Thanks for the helpful reply's :up:

6. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Being a veteran DTV subscriber/equipment owner I would highly advice you to have DTV install all of your system. Next, I also recommend you purchase their equipment protection plan. Here in North Texas we experience very high winds it is convenient and cost effective to have DTV come out and re-align dish and replace repair exterior cabling impacted by our severe weather.

Even though I truly understand your love of DIY work in this instance it pays to have true DTV techs do your install.

One additional tip. If the option is still available I would again highly recommend you purchase and have installed DTV's seperate HD antenna. We get over 15 additional DFW standard and about 5 or so additional local HD channels not included in DTV's local's package.

Good luck.

7. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    I would suggest the OP read around to see if the protection plan is really worth it. IMO, it is not. I've needed one service call since 1997 and D* waived the fee because I was a long time customer.

8. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Then again....those 2 free Dish alignments, 1 free Slimline Dish replacement, and 1 free HD receiver (owned) replacement over the past 4 years have more than paid for itself nicely with the Protection Plan here. My wallet also sleeps well knowing its there. :D

9. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1......Better to have coverage and not need it then to need it and not have it.

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We'll be having this argument forever. It's like saying, "I've never been sick a day in my life, why should I get health insurance?", or, "I'm a great driver, I don't need insurance just to drive my car." When you least expect it, you'll need the PP. I wouldn't be without it and I usually buy my own replacement receivers. It's not just for receivers, it's for your whole system, from the dish down to the receivers and everything in between.

Rich

11. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I can relate to that in more ways than one. You're absolutely correct.

LIke all those examples....the first time you need it, you'll know why it was a good idea. The Protection Plan is another one of those "insurance" programs.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    "Insurance programs", that's the way I look at the PP too. Rather than a warranty. I'm not big on warranties that salesmen try to stick you with, but the PP isn't one of those (Oh boy, we're gonna make some profit on this sucker) warranties that we're always warned against.

Rich

13. Graygeek

Graygeek New Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Again, thanks to all for the inputs ... lots to consider and more reading here to do.

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Professional just means that they get paid to do it. I've had good installers, and times where it took three appointments to finally get then to not cancel it again and follow my steps.

15. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    This was very much the case here in our area when DTV used every run of the mill contractor. Once DTV switched to true DTV employees the quality of installation and repair service improved 100%.

16. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    You might think of just doing the inside RG6 cabling. The best setup is to have a central feed and then home runs to each location you want to put a box and one for the DECA that gets connected to your router.

17. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Installing a Slimline dish without the correct signal meter can be a bit difficult. It's a lot different then setting up the old C-band dishes. Tilt, azimuth, and elevation have to set and peaked for three or five different satellites.

There are members here who know much more about this than I do, but I don’t think it can be done with the same equipment you used for C-band.

Mike

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The Tech who was at my home last week told me that customers have been turning away installers and techs who don't have D* trucks. Not a bad idea, given the problems with contractors that I've had.

Rich

19. cosmo

cosmo AllStar

Mar 3, 2005
    let dtv do the dish you have to dithrer or center a slimline dish

and the protection plan is well worth it if they have to come out they charge you 49.00 for the service call and you may have to pay if its a ird problem.