1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple questions about HR21

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Soulweeper, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 4, 2007 #1 of 22
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Just got my HR21 installed today, and it's my first DVR. So far, so good, but had a couple questions.......the blue ring light and the power light seem to kind of "pulse", if you will, instead of just being a solid light. If this is just a characteristic, those of you that have this unit will know what I'm talking about. It's probably the same on the HR20, but figured I should ask to make sure it's normal or not. The other thing is: what is "running" after I power it off. Sounds like a fan or the drive???? If so, why is it running? This is normal? It's my first DVR, so go easy on me if these are stupid questions lol......especially the second one. Thanks in advance!

2. Nov 4, 2007 #2 of 22
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    WELCOME.

The lights on the HR21 will do various things depending on what activities are taking place (recording, downloading new firmware/software, playback, etc.). Not to worry.
    DVR's are actually never "turned off" completely. The reasons for this is that they are actually in "standby mode" when you press the power button, so that they can record any scheduled programming based on what you have set up, without human intervention. You may be hearing the hard drive, whereas the fan only turns on intermittently when the internal temp of the unit gets to 115 degrees.

In addition, standby mode also allows the unit to maintain a 90 minute "buffer" which actually records (on the hard drive inside) whatever channel it was last tuned to, so that if you turn the unit on, it will actually have an on-going retention of the last 90 minutes of that last tuned channel that it was on.

Say you left your unit on your local Fox channel on Sunday morning while going to church, and then after you got home, you turned the unit on and the "big football game" on Fox had already started....you could press the "rewind" button, and actually go back up to about 90 minutes to view the game back that far. I've done that a time or two.

Last, the unit is in standby so that if DirecTV pushes out a download update to your firmware/software, you don't have to be there or do anything...it's all automatic, even in standby mode.

Please note that the HR21 is a very, very new DVR. We testers have enjoyed this early stage of working with it, and you will as well. That said, some of the newer features of other DirecTV DVR's haven't quite gotten to this unit yet, but should in the near future. There are also a few small quirks that will be ironed out because its so new, but DirecTV is working on them, you can enjoy this great DVR. If you want to know more about this unit, we have a "First Look" piece that we wrote about the HR21 at this link - you can click on the attached PDF file for your viewing or printing if you'd like:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=1218628&postcount=1

3. Nov 4, 2007 #3 of 22
    DesignDawg

DesignDawg Legend

Jan 7, 2006
    Actually, if I may... He's not talking about an animation. I had mine installed yesterday, and I sorta had the same concern. Most of the time, when just playing or watching live TV, when the ring would just be medium lit, it seems to flicker ever so slightly. It's a very fast, kinda erratic flicker, very unlike anything it does at other times. It actually looks very much like a bad connection or a very unstable power source "hum" if you will. I was going to post the same question. I know my R15 light never did this.

Ricky

4. Nov 4, 2007 #4 of 22
    hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    If you're both referring to the flicker when you fast forward or rewind backwards while viewing recorded programs....yes....that's normal, as well as a few other times the hard drive is exercised...

If its something else...than perhaps there's a problem with your unit.

5. Nov 4, 2007 #5 of 22
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Well, like DesignDawg said, "flicker" is a better way to describe it, and no, it's not when fast forwarding or rewinding.........mine does it while I'm simply watching TV. I hope it's normal, because I just got it. Anyone else have this?

6. Nov 4, 2007 #6 of 22
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Just checked it again to be sure. Simply powered it on, and the ring light, the power light, and resolution light have a slight "flicker". If it's normal, I don't care, but hopefully someone can confirm whether or not it is.

7. Nov 4, 2007 #7 of 22
    houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    if I look close yes they do flicker a little all the time.. they used to realy do it till they did some work in the software... wouldn't worry about it..

8. Nov 4, 2007 #8 of 22
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Yeah, you have to look right at, even kind of close, but I noticed it last night when the room was a lot darker, and it really caught my attention. As long as it's a "characteristic" and not a short

9. Nov 4, 2007 #9 of 22
    hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Mine is in a room with NO ambient light. Unless I'm 2 feet away or close....so flicker here, except when the hard disk is active for forward, backward, and occasional buffer storage...all normal. Not to worry.

10. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Mine does it if the unit is on, period. Like I said, just watching live TV.Is it always doing 'something', and that's why it flickers? Now I'm thinking it may be a problem. *sigh*

11. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Anyone think I should call D about it? Like they'd know:lol:

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Actually all LED lights do pulse a little bit, you can see it if you videotape them. I don't know that a call to a CSR is going to help you.

13. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    A couple of people thought it may be something wrong with the unit, that's why I was wondering If I should call D to have it swapped out or???:)

14. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Looking at it again, coming in from my garage, I can clearly see it flicker from across the room..........

15. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    One question - what is your power source?

In my case, my HR21 is one of several devices on a dedicated power line that includes a UPS and line-filetering and surge supression.

In consistent power can sometimes cause slight variances in device behavior, which is one remote, but possible source of the LED flickering on occasion. Otherwise, if it is significant flickering during times that you are not using the remote keys alot and/or playing recordings back, there may (or may not) be a problem with the unit itself.

The other question is...are you having any other issues in terms of unit performance or operation? - if not...you may want to wait it out a bit to see if it continues.

16. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    Make sure you have the latest software version for the HR21, as this will help the flickering.

17. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Well, it is very significant flickering, and it is when no one is touching anything on the remote or tv.......it's just on. And no, so far there doesn't appear to be performance problems, so waiting is a good idea to me also. My luck they would send me a refurb with other issues. Like they say "if it works, don't fix it":D

18. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I have 0x18a.........is that the latest?

19. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    Flickering LEDs point to the possibility of "dirty" power. I would check the outlet that the HR21 is plugged into.

20. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Forced a download of the 0x16D software today for other reasons, and flickering is completely gone with new software!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.