Covid-19: Big box stores barred from selling 'nonessential' items in some states

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From Business Insider:

Walmart, Costco, Target are barred from selling 'nonessential' items such as clothing and electronics in parts of the US
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

Costco, Walmart, and Target are barred from selling items like clothing and toys in some parts of the US. Here's what's considered 'nonessential' and where.
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

Walmart clarifies its policy on the sale of nonessential goods after a shopper said she was barred from buying a baby car seat
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Not in Kansas, fortunately. If a store sells essential material, it can sell anything in the store.

WHo's government to say what is "essential" and what isn't ?

cpalmer2k likes this.
  3. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k New Member

May 24, 2010
    I know they're trying to reduce the amount of foot traffic in stores, but this is where a lot of the griping begins from people. What is "essential" to one person at a given time may not be the same as another person. With Amazon delaying deliveries some people have had to venture out into actual stores to buy things they otherwise would have bought online. Most states (like ours) have limits on the number of people going into a store at one time anyway. It really doesn't seem to me like it should matter whether the person is buying a new shirt or groceries if you're limiting the number of people in the doors anyway. To me having them more spread out would actually be a good thing.

This whole "essential", "non-essential" is really controversial here in SC. The Governor waited until really late in the process to even close anything "non-essential" and then he specifically listed those businesses who had to close vs. listing those that had to stay open. The problem is a lot of businesses have requested and gotten waivers from the state for various reasons. One furniture store for example was able to get a waiver and stay open because they sell refrigerators while other furniture stores just selling furniture had to stay closed. All shoe and clothing stores here had to close but one store managed to get a waiver because they donate part of their profits to charity on a weekly basis. Go figure?

AZ. likes this.
  4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
  5. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    Just because you can't physically enter a big box store to purchase something, you can still order it online for pickup or delivery. It's an inconvenience being implemented for a short time to not only reduce foot traffic and help those shopping maintain a proper social distance but to also protect those that work at these stores to keep them open in the first place.

I for one am willing to put off or otherwise be a bit inconvenienced for a while to help protect others around me, including wearing a face covering no matter where I am outside or in a store just to show my respect for others around me. And truthfully, I have yet to not be able to find or buy anything I have needed yet. From garden supplies, to food, to household items, they are all still available but I just have to shop a bit differently than I have in the past.

In Michigan for example, the blocking of isles in stores or not being able to sell this or that only applies to the big box stores over 50,000 sq. ft. such as Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Target, etc. but I can still buy them online and go pick them up or have them delivered. OR...many of the same things you can get there like paint, garden supplies, etc., can be bought at other smaller stores such as an Ace Hardware, or even a place like a farmer's market type store near me called Horrock's, which although sells fresh produce, grocery items and such and is the reason they are still allowed to stay open, is primarily a lawn and garden center where you can get seeds, plants, etc. and aren't required to shut down those aisles because they are under 50,000 sq ft. Look at it as a way, making a few changes now many just help support those small businesses around me that need the help the most instead of padding some CEO's massive portfolio.

So there are two ways to look at this. One, learn to adjust for a short time and limit your angst or let it eat you from the inside out because you have to go out of your way a bit more to help others and make yourself miserable. I just think sometimes people want to find a way to nit pick about this or that and make an even bigger deal out of things than they really are. Heck, I have suffered more thru a down year for MSU football than I am right now.

AZ. likes this.
  6. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Lets face it we all should be able to see good in both sides!
    I went to Walgreens a week ago, I know all the employees, I asked how they were doing....Basically stressed out every one of them.
    So the one guy says glad Im not seeing much of you these days. I replied well I try to shop as little as possible.

He proceeds to tell me about how many of the same people come in every day and buy their pack of smokes and a diet coke...

Like they cant buy a carton of smokes and a case of soda?
    These people make peanuts and there chance of infection is high.

Other one is a home improvement guy....Husband and wives spending hours walking around looking at stuff, and sometimes to buy nothing.

So again.....I can see both sides of the coin, problem is human nature....

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    When something is broke in your house, sometimes you can't wait for the local mom & pop store to open. Example - I've had to have the water heater replaced due to leaking because of age (15 years). At first, I thought I could get by with a replacement T&P valve, but it turned out much worse. In the meantime, I needed to shutoff the water supply for the water heater (only) until the plumber could get here with the replacement. Both of those were bought at Menard's.

8. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Again.....Did you and the wife walk around the store window shopping?.....This isnt that hard for anyone to wrap there heads around....
    Its all about odds, the more your out the better the chance....The longer you are out the better the chance!
    It aint rocket science its all about the risk your taking and the odds of being sick, or infecting others.
    The one thing the whole country needs is, testing,testing, testiing.....And dont forget testing!

9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    You don't understand how I go shopping - as fast as possible to what I came for, grab it, then shortest path to shortest line at the checkout register, then home. If I was buying windows - the same principle.

AZ. and Rich like this.
  10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My last Walmart purchase was a Bluray - purchased online for free pickup. In the door and out in under 30 seconds. Counted both directions. I didn't try for curbside pickup. Nonessential purchase. I suppose I should be executed.

My wife tries to make one grocery trip per week instead of two or three to try to minimize the risk. But boredom is setting in after three weeks of shelter at home. The temptation to go out for a drive (ok, stay in your car) or a walk (including places where one has driven) expands to a quick stop at the store. To which I say if you do stop buy everything you need so you won't go back tomorrow. Stir crazy is setting in.

We are doing the best we can. Half of my hobbies are online so I can still to that but I feel like I'm in a reverse AA meeting. In AA one says how long it has been since they did something negative (drink) and everyone cheers when the number goes up. Now people say how long it has been since they did something positive (hug a stranger, shake a hand) and the longer we go without "normal interaction" the more stir crazy society is getting.

I do see it as unfair that stores selling essential materials are allowed to sell non-essential materials while their competition is forced to close. I'm not sure how enforceable the closing orders are. For licensed businesses they could lose their license if the order isn't followed (assuming the change in terms is ruled legal). Some relaxation of laws have been put in place to allow restaurants with dine in alcohol licenses to provide carry out alcohol. Many package stores in my area have converted to curb side service.

11. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Just got an email from Lowry's Restaurant in Beverly Hills offering take-out/delivery cocktails. Two martinis for $25. I'll pass. That's about the price of a 1.75-liter bottle of Tanqueray gin at Costco. The one I bought there in January is not quite gone yet. ;)

When it's gone I'll switch to Jack Daniels, also purchased at Costco.

12. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Jack and I were good friends many years ago. I haven't seen him in quite a while.

13. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I used to hang with the three Js, Jack, Jim and Johnnie but I haven't seen them in years.

14. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    The term "essential goods" has turned into a subjective judgment. It you want to get hard core, then it's food, medicine, and fuel. Since we are facing something that is unprecedented in our lives (the last such pandemic was the 1918-1920 Spanish Flu), things are a little bit different. A chunk of the population have moved to working from home. That mans you are probably going to need printer ink or toner, paper, headset, and camera. Some folks are doing work around the house to keep themselves occupied... that's home improvement. Some people are creating cloth masks... that's arts and crafts and fabric supply. The kids are home because school is closed... that's toys and electronics.

jimmie57, AZ. and cpalmer2k like this.
  15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Never had an interest in them. Just beer and the occasional rum and Coke or a screwdriver. Nothing "occasional" about my beer consumption.

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Completely dry?

Rich

17. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Completely, for quite a while, not even a beer contrary to my avatar.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Your avatar always makes me want a beer.

Rich

19. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Never even tried. I couldn't get used to the taste. :(

20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Reminds me of Back to the Future Part 3 where Doc is in the bar telling stories about the future - tall tales where the people think he is drunk. The bartender reveals that he hasn't had a drink - that is his first and he just likes to hold it. (Unfortunately his next move is to take a drink and pass out.)

I have not had a drink since I was 12. My dad let me taste his beer once and his Jim Beam once. I liked the Jim Beam. When I turned 21 I walked through a liquor store and back out the door. I never felt the need to drink. My brother joined the military and became a drunk - he sobered up after leaving the military environment. Social drinking. Plus he saw some stuff he wanted to forget (dead friends due to accidents). The alcohol didn't help him forget what he saw.