Covid-Accomplished

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    So, what have you accomplished during this "stay at home"?

While I'm working 12 hour days, I risked the wrath of my mother and actually started unpacking my stuff... starting with the boxes of DVDs and BluRays that I transported from California. Many of these titles are out-of-print, and in some cases, the publisher has gone out of business. To make matters worse, they were packed in a hurry, thus the primary sorting method was "size of the package" rather than title, making the sorting very random. I ended up taking one of my bedrooms, and started sorting by the first letter of the title, with four sections:
    • Anime
    • TV Series
    • Travel Videos
    • Everything else
    It took just two days to unpack five very large boxes, and go through that initial sort. Then, there was the second sort and actually putting the titles on the shelves. I now have a dedicated "anime and TV" closet along with my network equipment.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  2. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I’m still working but I’ve been staying at home on the weekends.

I’ve been cleaning out a lot of things - closets, drawers, kitchen cabinets, etc. Watching movies, catching up on TV shows and lots of YouTube.

Not much else going on here........

3. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    For some reason most of the few technical publishing clients I kept when I retired 15 years ago have decided this is the perfect time to update a number of their books and manuals. On the plus side, it's keeping their working from home staff busy, but it's also loading my wife and I up with a bit more editing/proofing work than we really want. Fortunately for us, our contracts include a "no hard deadlines" provision giving us some leeway regarding how many hours we put in each day.

4. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    I been sorting through my home studio and in the spare room, cataloging my CDs, records and such.

5. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    One thing that I've been using is these DVD Dividers to help alphabetize my collection. I'm making progress.....

From earlier last week: A to H plus numbers and right next to it, I to Z. This is a work in progress.

A to H.jpg I to Z.jpg

And from last night, this closet has a licence to thrill. It contains my James Bond, Lord Of The Rings, Japanese Animation, FreeNAS/Plex media server, and (soon) my television collection.

Closet of Anime.jpg

Eva likes this.
  6. May 3, 2020 #6 of 25
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Practically complete. This is the most organized it has been in about seven years.

95698363_3204247792943005_884685420988727296_n.jpg 96024050_3204247862942998_8403568633812353024_n.jpg

This is also allowing me to prune my collection. Also, now I can sort through what's left of my stuff.

7. May 4, 2020 #7 of 25
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I have six video DVD's in total. And my DVR is about 9% full. We do a lot of streaming.

8. May 5, 2020 #8 of 25
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Nice work Mark.

I’ve been organizing pictures on my computer in albums. And making sure all are tagged with gps. It’s been interesting.

9. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    An update on that collection of mine... to put the proper context, please understand my setup...
    • Master bedroom: 50" 4K Roku TV, but no player (my mom doesn't want to set one up)
    • My office: 50" 4K Roku TV with a 4K player
    • My mother's office: 32" 1080p Roku TV, BluRay Player (that does a good job of collecting dust)
    What's missing: I don't have a television in my bedroom. This is because of two reasons: 1. There is no good place to put a television, and 2. I don't want to put in a television in that room. Thus, I'm watching movies on my phone or my tablet. This means that I have to get the movies onto my Plex server. Thus, I'm using this opportunity to prune some of the DVD duplicates, transfer some features that aren't in the BluRay version, then send those duplicates over to a friend who is recovering from cancer. One of these days, I'll enjoy those discs in 7.1 surround sound.

10. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I would never watch a movie on my phone or tablet. That's what the big TV sets are for.

TheRatPatrol and MysteryMan like this.
  11. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I understand your point about watching a movie on a big TV set. My future plans are to have a nice 70" television in my media room along with a nice 7.1 system. That, however, is a few years off.

Also, when you are traveling on a long airline flight or on a cruise, what would you like to watch... something that somebody else thinks everyone would like, or something that you would like to watch? It's very hard to bring a big TV on a plane, but a phone/tablet and bluetooth headphones (noise cancelling, of couse) fit the bill perfectly.

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    While I've been home more during COVID-19 (no travel!!), I've still been working (almost) normal hours. Mostly from home, but some in the office.

But this weekend, I'm planning on building a cart for my 22 1/2" Weber kettle grill. Sort of like this, but without the enclosed cabinet at the one end. Real easy to build. Mostly 2x4s with 1x4s on the bottom shelf.

[​IMG]

At least that is the plan.

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  13. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I’d do four wheels with locks myself. Why make your self lift one end for no reason... but I’d love to see pics when finished!

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The only locking wheels I saw a Home Depot or Lowes were castor type. Most of the moving will just be on my deck, but occassionaly, I'm going to have to go through the grass.

The guy who built the one I posted later did put castors on the other end so if he has to go through the yard he can still lift and just roll on the lawn mower wheels.

Framing is done. Boards cut for top and bottom shelfs. But when our heat index hit 100, I came in.

15. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I don't take cruises, but when I fly I listen to music or read an ebook on my iPad rather than try to watch anything.

16. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Try harbor freight... You could put some big solid tires with an axel on one end and swivel locking ones on the other...

Was just a thought... I’d go inside too if it was 100!!!

You going to leave it as natural wood or paint it?

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  17. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Among the work being performed around my home:
    • Straightened out the fence so that it's no longer leaning as much
    • Per mother's request, repainted the front door from red to brown.
    • Had a cat door installed to the garage.
    • Unclogged the drain lines from the Jacuzzi to the pool. The previous owners didn't do a great job of maintaining that part, so leaves just were accumulated there. It took a snake, a water hose, and a shop vac on "blow" to unclog those lines, but the Jacuzzi is no longer overflowing. I'm going to do it again next spring.
    • After almost getting locked out from the pool area to the my home by both my mother and myself, I got this cheap keyless deadbolt lock. It will eventually be replaced with something from my alarm company, but they want $250 for it (times three). That got placed into my list of "future projects", probably after paying off the air conditioner and replacing the insulation.
    • In process of replacing all the interior door handles with these handles.... again, per request of my 79yo mother. I think I picked a nice color.
    • Also, I wanted to replace all three of the "sweat hydrant" in my home with these. It should be an easy procedure where I turn off the main water, drain the water from the lines, unscrew the old ones from the front, side, and back of my home, and put on the new ones. Unfortunately, my mother is insisting that we have the handyman put these in instead of me.
    Sigh.... this past year have been a year for major improvements. My attitude has been that going "cheap" now is very expensive in the long run.

Oh yeah, I also discovered that "zone 1" of my sprinkler system didn't do the front yard, but actually fills my pool with fresh water. This is incredibly useful.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I took the slam locks off of my house when I moved in. The only way to lock a door is with a key from the outside or the deadbolt if inside. The only way to get locked out is to lose the key or have someone inside not know where you are. That being said, I like the idea of keyless entry but there is something reassuring about having something less hackable.

Handles instead of knobs - I'm with you 1000%. I had one door that would not open if you turned the knob clockwise from the inside but would only open if you turned the knob clockwise from the outside or counter-clockwise from the inside. One handle later and it opens by pressing down on either side. (Being right handed I normally twist clockwise.) The handles work great when one has their hands full.

Exterior faucets are a little different in my climate since I have to deal with freezing. The water shut off part of the faucet extends through the exterior wall so the water in the pipe won't freeze. I just have to make sure the hoses are disconnected each winter.

Good to see you have an easy way to fill the pool. Saves dragging a hose out or calling the fire department (if they offer that service).

19. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Oh, I understand the concerns. While my fence has two gates, the locks are on the outside. So, if I were trapped in, I (or my 79yo mother) would have to climb over the fence... not an easy task. I have seen the two-way locks for gates, and whenever I have the fence redone, I will look into it.

It is entirely possible for the north DFW area to receive snow in the winter, but not the south DFW area. I know that snow fell on the first morning I was in the Dallas area, although it didn't stick around. One thing I did get was these outdoor faucet covers.

20. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Just a couple suggestions you might consider...

I’d suggest this for a key...

Master Lock 5401D 7.3 cu in. Set Your Own Combination Wall Mount Lock Box-5401DHC - The Home Depot

Especially if at some point you aren’t home for hours when your mom is and if you ever get her a medical alert or something of that nature. You can put that and it’s code into their instructions so no one would break down a door if emergency people had to get into the house to help her.

As for the faucets I might suggest...

are those outside for garden hoses? If so I would suggest something different. Gate valves are annoying for hoses imho. Go ball vavles, it gains you convince similar to those door handles you are going with. Quarter turn and it’s on and it’s not a round non...

Everbilt 1/2 in. Brass 1/4 in. Turn MPT x MHT Hose Bibb-VHBQTCC3EB - The Home Depot

They have them for pretty much any kind of connection. Are the current ones threaded on sweat on?

Love the door handles!

And then someday if you really want to go crazy... they sell monitoring devices that you can install yourself that you connect to that valve to fill your pool with water and would automatically fill the pool when water dropped below a certain point. Just mentioning it for when you run out of other things to upgrade.