Cowboys-Patriots blackeed out!!! (Fixed by NFL/DIRECTV)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Eksynyt, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Eksynyt

Eksynyt Icon

Feb 8, 2008
    So I want to watch Cowboys-Patriots and the Niners-Lions game is going long on my Fox. Too bad for me the Sunday Ticket channel for Boys-Pats is blacked out. Seriously??? This is so stupid!!!

2. jrodfoo

jrodfoo Godfather

Apr 9, 2007
    they just said that you will go to your scheduled game when it begins at 4:15, so you should be fine.

3. Eksynyt

Eksynyt Icon

Feb 8, 2008
    No, I'm getting the Niners-Lions game as my 10AM game so I have to watch that one until it's over. But fortunately they opened up the Sunday Ticket channel so I can watch the beginning of the Cowboys-Patriots game from the start.

4. jrodfoo

jrodfoo Godfather

Apr 9, 2007
    good deal.

5. Dcm210

Dcm210 Godfather

Jan 17, 2009
    the Tampa game is blacked out and the Cowboy's game is our local game. any idea why its blacked out?

6. Eksynyt

Eksynyt Icon

Feb 8, 2008
    Because it's blacked out locally more than likely since it didn't sell out.

7. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011

Didn't sell out, happens all the time to pro teams.

8. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    Wasn't even close to a sellout....like every other home game here since last year with the exception of the MNF game two weeks ago. You live in Ormond Beach and because Orlando's tv market which is your locals penetrates to within 75 miles of Raymond James Stadium it is blacked out to everyone who receives those. Same with the Jaguars and Orlando. Orlandos market penetrates to within 75 miles of Evervacant Field so their home games are blacked out also.

I've never liked this policy of the blanket market blackout. Directv uses the zip code to determine everything. I feel like if your zip code can be determined to be outside the blackout radius and not within the local teams DMA, then you should be able to get the game via NFL Sunday Ticket. I know the locals can't show it but subs to ST should be able to under that circumstance. If confused ill give an example of what I mean:

You are a Bucs fan living in Sarasota. That's possibly 75 miles from the stadium, for the sake of argument let's say it is. Bucs game is blacked out for not selling out. You are a Sunday Ticket sub. Under my policy you would still not get the game because Sarasota receives Tampa locals.

Now say you're a Bucs fan living on the space coast in Titusville, Fl. The Bucs don't sell out so it's blacked out in Tampa and to you locally because you receive locals via Orlando. You are a Sunday Ticket sub. Under my policy, you would be able to see the game via NFL ST because you live outside the 75 mile radius and do not receive locals from Tampa.

9. Jasqid

Jasqid Legend

Oct 26, 2008
    Ohio
    My Rule would be: I am PAYING money to watch the NFL so no games would be blacked out. Regardless of my zipcode or where I live inside the DMA.

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    No argument from me, but I think you have to convince the NFL...... or maybe the FCC to force the blackout rules away. Neither path seems very likely at all, unfortunately.

11. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    Pay money to go see the game in person is your only guarantee, black out rules are determined strictly by the league (NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA, NHL, or who ever). They can black out any game based on them selling the broadcasting rights to a specific channel affiliate, or not selling stadium out.

12. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    NFLs blackout policy was determined by congress. Not the league.

13. dhkinil

dhkinil Icon

Dec 17, 2006
    close but no cigar, the blackout rule was created by congress because the NFL refused to lift local blackouts even when the game was sold out. As a child in New York, when the Giants played in Yankee Stadium, they played the first three or four weeks on the road, and we had maybe three games the rest of the season on TV. The giants played the NFL championship in NY in 1964 or 1965, we did not get to watch that game either.

14. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    Congress doesn't sit around every week and determine which games are going to be blacked out lol. The league has laws that they need to follow but the choice is still purely up to the league as long as they are with in their legal rights.

15. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    No what I said is correct. The NFLs blackout policy was dictated by Congress precisely for the reason you gave. If the nfl had their way, no home game would air no matter what. So yes, congress set the policy, not the nfl as I said.

16. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    Never said they did. I stated congress set the blackout policy. Never said nor implied they decide each week.

17. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    In the meantime, my plan could actually get somewhere one day maybe.