1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cr said install cost for MRV is $99 + $49 + $50 for customers of less then 12 months

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Derbyman32, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Derbyman32

Derbyman32 Cool Member

Apr 15, 2010
    I called to setup installation for install of MRV service and Internet connection to system and was told by the customer rep. that the cost would be an extra $50 for any customer with directv less then 12 months.

I had called yesterday and not a word was said on this charge so is this in fact a charge that I have to pay in addition to the normal $99 + $49?

Any input appreciated, I did not order at that point because I wanted to be sure that was correct.

Side note: I talked to CSR yesterday and apparently she somehow activated me with a $3 charge for month like I already had MRV installed ,, so when I called in they told me all I had to do was talk to a tech to get it working :sure:

Thanks in advance for your help,

Derbyman32:confused:

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    What equipment do you have now?
    Are they connected now via LAN?
    If so, then the CSR probably thought you wanted MRV authorized in the unsupported network mode. Which might not be a bad idea, as this could get you past 12 months

3. Derbyman32

Derbyman32 Cool Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Hi, I have the DRV HD23-700 and HR23-600 now with no swim. So you are saying that is a no way to get around extra $50 to new customers.
    They are not connected via lan but I do have wireless router and cable internet service already.

Thanks for swift reply:)

4. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    I got the same breakdown, and thought it was crap. I’m planning on the DECA install in Aug, and will probably tell them not to bother with the internet side, because my boxes are already on powerline adapters.

5. Derbyman32

Derbyman32 Cool Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Don't blame you there. The part that I don't like is because you have less than a year they want to make an extra $50 of the same run they do for everyone without it... they know that we have a high cancellation fee being new so we can't really cancel :nono:

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I wonder if DirecTV is trying to get back some money that they paid out in new customer perks.?

7. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    It's actually because it costs $$$ to roll a tech for any equipment upgrade, so be sure you get the equipment and set up correct the first time, or don't change it within the first year. The thing that sucks in this case is that whole home dvr installs with DECA weren't available from Directv before May.

8. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Look, $99+50 is already enough for someone with a contract. The rest is just greed.

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Not sure what you mean by this. If you get the MRV upgrade (which is DECA) you can just ask for the Internet Connection Kit to go with it. That will supply an extra DECA and PI for bridging your receivers to the Internet. In most cases, the ICK is included in the cost of the MRV upgrade, although some subscribers have reported that CSR's are stating the ICK costs $25 extra.

- Merg

10. Derbyman32

Derbyman32 Cool Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Exactly my point, I would have got it then had it been available and now they are cutting out a certain group and they don't get what everyone else can.. I believe in being fair and I know they are a business... but this just is not right:nono2:

11. Derbyman32

Derbyman32 Cool Member

Apr 15, 2010
    On the side note I mentioned in my first post. I just had both receivers ask me about naming the receivers so that they can activate my MRV so that it will start working. At the same time I got an email from driectv saying I had changed my service,,, but earlier the csr said she took off the $3 charge. They are getting me confused lol, I guess I will get another email latter saying I changed my service back:confused:

Maybe I should have left it alone and installed the unsupported version myself but from what I have read the deca install is the way to go.

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I've been a bit involved with this whole connected home upgrade, for a while now.
    I too find it hard to believe there is a $50 surcharge for this, and have never heard anything about it before.
    The $99 is for the hardware & the $49 for the truck roll/service call.
    Another $50 simply isn't merited, whether you're under contract or not.
    "If it were me", I'd bounce this up a bit higher the chain of command and express the position you're in and expect it to be reasonably resolved.

13. Derbyman32

Derbyman32 Cool Member

Apr 15, 2010
    I agree I just wanted to check with you guys to make sure that this was not something I was forced to live with... I will call and try and work it out as nice as possible. I think I will just ask again the cost and maybe the next CSR will never mention it but if they do I guess I should ask for a supervisor or retention and try to explain my frustration. Thanks all for the help.

Derbyman32

14. Derbyman32

Derbyman32 Cool Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Hi veryoldschool, I did as you suggested and took it up to retention and he did verify that the $50 was a correct charge and has to be used for the order to take. I gave him my position and he was very nice and said he could refund the $50 to my bill but he would have to charge it today. Actually when I completed the order he ended up waving the $49 charge for which I guess he could do and still have the order go through. So I am happy and will have service installed Sunday July 4th in the AM... sorta shocked they are working the 4th but the said they even make runs on Christmas ;)

Thank you and everyone who helped me work this out, I am so glad I joined this forum:D

Derbyman32

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Thanks, I've now "heard of it". :)

16. wavemaster

wavemaster Godfather

Sep 15, 2007
    I agree, however....

I bet you got a sweet signup deal... free gear and programming etc. as a new customer signup.

All us longtime customers get the shaft on most of that, so as a longtime user hearing that a new sub is paying extra for something that we didn't need to is refreshing. Normally they would just let us faithful customers SUBSIDIZE new customers needs.

17. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    I might agree on the additional $50, except for the fact I gotta pay em $3/month for the service. It's just a fee tactic, and I'll fight it.

18. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    Don't do that. You can't leave any Ethernet connected to the receivers along with DECAs. As it doesn't cost any more for Whole Home DVR Service with Internet Connection Kit than without the 'kit' (an additional DECA+power supply connected to the Ethernet), it doesn't make any sense not to get it, either. :nono2:

19. wavemaster

wavemaster Godfather

Sep 15, 2007
    In our case it was 150.00 (parts+install) with 50.00 waived. So it was 99.00 out of pocket. For that we got the SWiM 16, 9 DECA modules, the PI module and installation.

So about 700.00 worth of gear and the installation for 99.00. It was a good deal.

Unfortunately, we will probably go back to hardwired Ethernet as soon as the next service call to figure out why some receivers lose connection is complete. We didn't have the drops and required restarts of DVR's on Ethernet.

20. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Another reason Im waiting another 1-2 months. HR24 has too many bugs right now, and MRV has it's issues too. IF I am gonna pay $200, I'd expect it to work. I already have a $40 AM21 that I cant use to record.