Crappy Programming on Dish Network

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jaymz, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1 of 18
    jaymz

jaymz Cool Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Why can't some of these channels spend some $$$$ to provide a wider variety of programs. Mostly I'm speaking of channels like the Fox Movie Channel that repeats the same movie for hours on end or has about six movies in their entire catalog and that's all they run. I mean, I really like "The Last of the Mohicans," but can't they give it a rest for six months and run somthing different? And please stop playing, "The Lost world." It sucked in 1963, and it sucks now.

Or the SyFy Channel...all those low-budget crap videos that no one has ever heard of and are so lame they have no rating? Think of what a great channel it could be if done right!

I could go on and on, but you get my point! Can anything be done to motivate these loser channels to at least make an effort to provide quality programming?

Jim

2. Dec 2, 2009 #2 of 18
    skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1 Godfather

Sep 28, 2006
    Sounds like another drive by griper..

And this has to do with Dish Network HOW?

3. Dec 2, 2009 #3 of 18
    texasmoose

texasmoose Icon

May 24, 2007
    This RANT is NOT just about Dish, it's an equal opportunity offender, doesn't matter if its DBS, Cable or FIOS, they're all afflicted by these vendors that play bogus & redundant programming choices.

4. Dec 2, 2009 #4 of 18
    TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    You could complain to someone other than Dish. Don't shoot the messenger. :)

5. Dec 2, 2009 #5 of 18
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Dish and other providers are in no way responsible for the content on these TV networks. And if you did a survey, you'd probably find that many people are happy with the content on those channels.

SyFy IS running a wider variety of programs: they now show "wrestling" in addition to SciFi and Fantasy-based shows. Is that really better?

6. Dec 2, 2009 #6 of 18
    nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    Contact the channels directly; DISH Network just transmits what is sent to them. I would start with Vaicom and NBC/Universal (soon to be Comast/Universal?).

7. Dec 2, 2009 #7 of 18
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    As texasmoose (among others) have pointed out - other multichannel venders have the same crappy programming - contact the providers of said programming (and everybody who thinks like you will appreciate it).

8. Dec 2, 2009 #8 of 18
    paja

paja Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    Then again, when DISH did have some unique programming, MONSTERS HD for one, they dumped it for the same boring programming they now show.

9. Dec 2, 2009 #9 of 18
    Quentin

Quentin New Member

May 21, 2008
    I really loved the VOOM channels, especially MONSTERS HD. I watched that one and the Kung Fu channel for hours on end.

But wow, talk about repeating the same programming over and over! After watching MONSTERS for a year I had seen every single movie they had and every single movie they would ever have.

10. jaymz

jaymz Cool Member

Dec 1, 2009
    I didn't mean to limit this to DN; I realize all the other guys have the same channels.

I think, however, that the satellite and cable providers have lots of leverage...if no one watches their repetitive crap channels, then Dish, et.al. could drop them.

When are we going to get a system where we can pick and choose our channels instead of these crappy "packages?"

Jim

11. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    When he!! freezes over...

The programming providers WANT their products carried in bundles.

12. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Never. The channels cost too dang much. $3-4 a month per sub for ESPN (IIRC) as an example. The only reason prices are as low as they are is because all those shopping channels pay Dish, DirecTV and the cable companies to broadcast them, so they pay part of your bill for the channels you do watch.

13. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Follow the money, sure all these vendors are taking advantage of the terrible economy and using it as an excuse to funnel sub-par programming to the viewers under the auspicious of low revenues etc. The reality is though that advertising in some markets is down 30% or more. Fewer movies are being made, network dramas have been diminished to "Reality Shows" and look at NBC's Jay Leno unfortunate experiment in cutting cost......Networks have been laying off people for months, follow the money, it ain't there.....but the bonuses for the execs. goes on and on while the underlings, employees and viewers get sub-par everything, if you're unhappy with the product......don't buy it, that's all they understand......
    356B

14. satexplorer

satexplorer Superstar

Feb 6, 2007
    Highest Floor
    Pointless thread. Clark Howard would say to you, don't buy premium.

15. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    With 250+ channels to choose from you have a great variety of programming available at you fingertips. When a program you already saw comes on, just change the channel!!!!

What it appears you want is one "super channel" that carries the best of all channels in one location. That's not gonna happen, it's not economically feasible. Be glad you have what you have. 40 years ago all we had was 3 or 4 channels to choose from and no VCR's yet for movies. We've come a long way baby!

And as far as the premium channels go, I guess you may have an argument. Unless there is "potty language" and nudity it's not considered "quality programming" by those providers :rolleyes:

16. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Ala Carte programming would cost more.

17. NightTimeHD

NightTimeHD Cool Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Many moons ago I had a C-band satellite and at that time you could actually buy programming per channel. They had many for 99¢ a month.

I was just thinking about this the other day and at a $1 a channel you could run up a decent sized bill. This is what consumers really want but as the Dish Network CEO recently said it is not what the industry wants to do. Actually, I can see the other side of that coin. As it stands now, I never watch Nickelodeon yet a very tiny % of my bill goes towards that which in effect subsidizes it for those that do watch. So if I were allowed to pay per channel then less popular channels have only the option of raising prices or going out of business. Some would say that is fine. However, in the end we would all be watching the same small group of channels because that is all that would be left.

So as much as many of us would like it, I do not think it will happen anytime in the near future. Also, for some people the cost would be a lot less because they would pick around 20 channels and would be happy. What keeps people from just buying the lowest tier now is that they bump certain channels into the higher tiers. This is not by accident.

So I would have to say I agree with you and disagree with you at the same time.

18. mike1977

mike1977 Legend

Aug 26, 2005
    No, it isn't better. When I want to see scifi, I don't really want to see Bond movies.

Ok, I'm surprised no wrestling on The Weather Channel by now.