1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Credit Card Required For Dish Upgrade or Dish Mover's Promotion OR PAY FULL PRICE

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Jacob S, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 3, 2005 #1 of 10
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Otherwise you will have to pay the retailer full price at a cost determined by the retailer. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS. I emailed someone higher up at Dish Network about this. If you want a discount/free Dish Upgrade (whether it be Dish500 or SuperDish) or if you need a Dish Mover's performed when you move, then you will have to have a credit card. This was a marketing decision that they have made. I can see some churn as a result. Imagine someone wanting a SuperDish upgrade needing a few DishPro Adaptors. By the time they pay for the SuperDish ($200) Installation ($100+) and two DishPro Adaptors ($100-160) you are looking at a cost of $300-460 (plus sales tax putting it around $500). I do not know anyone out there that would be willing to pay this. They will switch to DirecTv or cable in a heartbeat and spread the word about how Dish Network does their customers if they do not have a credit card. DirecTv's dish is MUCH cheaper than this and I dont think DirecTv requires a credit card to upgrade either.

Those wanting to move will have to take their dish with them and pay someone as much as $100 or more (plus $ for each additional reciever) to get their system moved.

2. May 4, 2005 #2 of 10
    JohnGfun

JohnGfun Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 16, 2004
    When did they start this? I have never had to do that?

3. May 4, 2005 #3 of 10
    gernskin

gernskin New Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Is only required if you wont make one yr. commitment.?

4. May 4, 2005 #4 of 10
    TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    interesting

my grandma just did the dishmover and all she did was have to agree to 1 yr of at least AT60

no CC
    no extra charges

this was April 14th the dish was installed

5. May 4, 2005 #5 of 10
    KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    I'm not sure about the upgrade part but I know that for the Dish Mover that if you don't want to go on auto-pay, all they charge is $25 to do the move... If you persist during the process they will waive the $25 (at least an executive did it for me.) If someone doesn't mind auto-pay, by all means go for it. Personally I don't pre-authorize anyone to charge any of my banking or credit accounts.

6. May 4, 2005 #6 of 10
    larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    They've changed it. I called Retail services this morning and they said that this happened the first of March. They moved all that stuff to the Existing customer promos. I was told that they were working to take that off because of retailer complaints for the movers and dish upgrades. The movers is now $50. No promo given for the CCA anymore(just ran a claim this morning). The only way to get it free now is to have the DHPP of the club dish mover's coupon.

Customers not wanting to give CC info can call E* directly to get these programs and will not need a CC. As usual, we retailers are getting screwed............. :mad:

7. May 4, 2005 #7 of 10
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Retail Services told me that there was NO EXCEPTION and this was a decision that they have made. They done this ON PURPOSE. They do NOT care if they lose customers over this. An email to customer retention done NO GOOD! The customer will end up going to DirecTv and spread around the bad word about Dish Network and this makes me look bad as a retailer. Perhaps the customer is right, Dish Network IS getting too picky. I sent an email to Dish Network telling them that they are going to see an increase in churn losing customers to DirecTv and cable when they move because it will be cheaper and without such requirements.

8. May 4, 2005 #8 of 10
    LuckyJW

LuckyJW Cool Member

Mar 11, 2005
    I'm lost. A credit card required... for what?? A deposit? For monthly Auto-Pay? For a hold until the transaction is processed? And if it is for auto-pay... can't you simply agree to auto-pay and then later call and have it taken off?

9. May 5, 2005 #9 of 10
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Probably to secure payment of penalties if someone voids their contract.

10. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    After writing a long email to Dish Network a few days ago and another one today I got an email back stating that a credit card is no longer required to do the dish upgrades. I looked to make sure this was true and it is in fact true. They changed the business rules and dates of them as of yesterday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.